Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thumbs up BMW M Laptimer App available for download on iTunes

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Launches the BMW M Laptimer App
COMMENTS

Precise, real-time racing-style telematics for BMW Enthusiasts.

BMW Group Technology Office USA announced today the release of the BMW M Laptimer App. The BMW M Laptimer App is made for BMW Brand vehicles with the BMW Apps option, and is now available in the iTunes Store.

Previewed in June 2013 (see BIMMERPOST preview video below) and intended for off-road use only, the BMW M Laptimer App records data from a BMW Apps–equipped vehicle’s on-board network and GPS receiver to create comparative track sessions and provide essential performance information. It generates track maps and captures essential driving data including top speed, number of laps, best lap time and ambient temperature. Information is then presented on the scorecard screen when the vehicle is no longer in motion.

The BMW M Laptimer provides highly visual depictions of throttle, speed, brake input, engine RPM, fuel level, and g-force. Users can easily zoom in and out, and rewind or fast forward through track recordings. BMW M Laptimer will automatically calculate laps and times for the user without the need for pre-installed track map data. The App can be used on virtually any closed circuit.

A Comparison Mode gives users the ability to view individual or dual runs in real-time. Users can select their own laps or compare against a lap sent by another BMW driver. Users may also share track day results with friends to compare data. Additionally, users can post results through social media integration, including Facebook and Twitter.

The BMW M Laptimer app can be downloaded for free in the iTunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-...ign-mpt=uo%3D2

BIMMERPOST Addendum:

Instructions for installing app from outside the U.S.
Quote:
Go to settings and choose Itunes and App Store then click on your iTunes id and select view. Change your location to be US. Then enter payment information, choose Method to be None. Next put in any valid address (only need the city and state - I chose Cupertino CA for the irony of it).

Then put in a phone number with a 3 digit area code and (I think) 7 digits for the rest. now you are done.

Go back to this post and click the link - and you will go straight to the app in the US iTunes store. Once you have downloaded it, you will of course have to set your details back using the same method as above to be your home location.

Takes 5 mins from start to finish and you will have the app.

BMW Announcement Video

BIMMERPOST Video Demo

Screenshots:

BMW M Power App

BIMMERPOST BMW M Laptimer App Review

BIMMERPOST review:

In short, the M Power App records data from the various automotive sensors in the car and uses that information to record track sessions and provide:
  • lap times and scorecard view
  • real-time review of the lap (with comparison modes)
  • important technical data
    • throttle input
    • steering input
    • braking force
    • G-force
    • RPM
    • fuel efficiency
Two of my favorite features of the app include the head-to-head ghost comparison mode and the custom track generator feature.

The app can generate custom tracks on the fly, so you aren't limited to only using the app for its preprogrammed tracks. This feature will be useful for autocross, custom tracks or regular trips to your grocery store.

The head-to-head ghost comparison mode lets you compare two separate laps and view both runs on the track map in real time. It's a great way to see where one lap gained or lost time to the other. The two laps chosen for comparison can both be the user's own laps, or compared against a lap sent to the user by anyone else (friend, track instructor, etc.). Enough talk, you can see best for yourself in the video below.

The app was demoed to us by two fellas from the BMW Technology Office - Phil Johnston, Product Manager for the BMW Group Apps Platform and Paul Doersch, the US Product Manager and Technical Lead for the M Power App.

Requirements / Availability:
iOS6 / iOS7
BMW Apps Option
USB Cable or Snap-In Adapter
* Can be used for any BMW model (not only M cars) with BMW Apps option

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

DAMNIT! One week after my session at Roebling Road! Grrrr.

But sweet that it's out now!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks for alerting us to this.
Seems to be available (free) on US iTunes.

My only issue with Harry's LapTimer is some slight inconsistencies compared to others' devices. For example, circuit length may differ by 1-2% and therefore speed calculations are affected. Furthermore, it occasionally fails to register speed at particular data points on a given lap. (I store my iPhone under my central arm rest, quite far from any window.)

I wonder if this freely available BMW M LapTimer is more reliable ...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added instructions to first post for installing this outside the U.S.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Jason, how easy is it to add bmw apps to a car that did not come with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
DAMNIT! One week after my session at Roebling Road! Grrrr.

But sweet that it's out now!

Amazing. This aint the days of the E36 M3.... (when BMW was denying claims of vehicles that had been tracked when the valve spring retainers were blowing)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
Jason, how easy is it to add bmw apps to a car that did not come with it.
Regretting at the moment not springing for BMW Apps on stripper car...although functionality and ROI seems limited sans big nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Regretting at the moment not springing for BMW Apps on stripper car...although functionality and ROI seems limited sans big nav screen.

Same here... but just for a second.. then realized it would be a feature that I would have paid for 2 years ago that really got little to no use until now.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Come on Mark...you know you would still have fun with it even though it was late. You can check mine out at the next event

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Amazing. This aint the days of the E36 M3.... (when BMW was denying claims of vehicles that had been tracked when the valve spring retainers were blowing)
Well, not so sure they still wouldn't deny them. The disclaimer when launching the app says warranty provisions still apply and that it's not intended for "performance" or high risk driving. So they may still play that game.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
Come on Mark...you know you would still have fun with it even though it was late. You can check mine out at the next event

or ... I would have already puchased a SOLO DL. ha!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

We ran an AIM Solo something or another in the car last weekend. The predictive lap timer was really fricken awesome! Gave you the ability to know if you were on a hot lap or not. Also helped to see if any changes made on track helped or hurt on the fly. All within reason of course, but man I really enjoyed having it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm
We ran an AIM Solo something or another in the car last weekend. The predictive lap timer was really fricken awesome! Gave you the ability to know if you were on a hot lap or not. Also helped to see if any changes made on track helped or hurt on the fly. All within reason of course, but man I really enjoyed having it!!
Predictive lap on the solo is AWESOME!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

If anyone has a recording of a nurburgring lap, I'd be happy to accept an email share of it, wink wink, nudge nudge.
      09-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Digging this from the dead because I wanted to hack the data output...

I remember some old posting where someone posted a graph of RPM vs Time, and so far based on my investigation, the data is only proprietary but not encrypted so it's relatively easy to reverse engineer. I don't know if this kind of proprietary info would get me in trouble with the BMW lawyers so PM me for more details...

Ideally, someone with iOS development background would be able assist on the real data type, and the least we can do, is make a converter so someone can make an gauge overlay with Dashware and such. Looks like the M developers like to use IEEE Double for storage
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

I'd be interested in knowing how many data fields are accessible via the USB port compared to the OBD2 and what sampling rate you can access them at. It would be nice if we could use a smart phone instead of a laptop to call up any of the available system parameters for logging while going down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I think the BMW Apps protocol is proprietary enough for me not to bother - all I'm doing right now is take the M laptimer recorded data and trying to convert it into a CSV or other useful format. The M laptimer seems to only record a sample when it's changed - for example, if the speed didn't change (ie, you're stopped), you get 1 record showing 0 Km/h at a certain time. RPM / Acceleration / Location data seems to have the highest frequency - I get RPM samples somewhere between 400-800 microseconds. The built-in Nav tries to supply "corrected" coordinates based on the roads on the map set

Apparently BMW Apps SDK isn't something you can just buy either
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944
I'd be interested in knowing how many data fields are accessible via the USB port compared to the OBD2 and what sampling rate you can access them at. It would be nice if we could use a smart phone instead of a laptop to call up any of the available system parameters for logging while going down the road.
You could do this for many but not all parameters with a jb4 and the jb4connect app fyi
      09-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

...so if I use iTunes the whole world would soon be able to se my private laptimes ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Only if you share... I intend to use this data for making video
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #21
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

I contacted the BMW apps people multiple times. I have talked to their engineers and the higher ups. Anything involving deep diving into CANBUS data they wont let you get at. You can hack whatever you want but just dont expect help on their end. I am looking for a BMW app that displays all the AWRON data on the iDRIVE screen. I think the SDK they give people doesnt have access to canbus data.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #22
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So basically, making an independent app to log the relevant data is out of question - but conversion is very much possible from the data collected by the M Laptimer app. I have 2 scripts that will work with the data files generated by this app to generate a CSV equivalent - except for the fuel consumption data. There were are few files that I haven't investigated yet (because my runs weren't exactly on a track so it never created multiple laps) - I should probably look at the sample files and see what other data were generated if you actually drive in a lap
Appreciate 0