BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Thoughts on the 1M coming from modded 135i

Hi all, just thought I'd share some thoughts I had recently as I was lucky enough to take Sparoz's 1M out for a spin on the weekend. It wasn't a long drive, and I didn't go hard around any corners as it was a busy suburban run on a saturday. So I guess it's more thoughts on how it is as a daily driver compared to my 135.

* Steering - The first thing I noticed, was the difference in the steering. It is a lot lighter than the 135i. It has good feel and is very flat around corners compared to mine, which has stock suspension apart from an e93 front sway bar. The steering was a joy though and if I closed my eyes I could swear I was in a different car to a 1series.

* Power - My car apparently has 30 more kw at the wheels than Steve's car does but it feels like more. Although the delivery is quite smooth, it's no linear than mine. But I would say my mid-range is a fair bit stronger between 3500-5000rpm. The power probably went on to a higher rpm than mine, but if you changed gears in my car at 6000rpm instead of 6500 you wouldn't care. I find it odd that some people think top end power is the be all and end all of power, when you can simply change a little earlier. With so much torque and mid range, I could change gear at 5500rpm and still be happy!
My car only has DP's in it exhaust wise, and it's a fair bit louder. I have also taken the cowl out so that adds to the 'drama' of the engine. The 1M was not as loud as I had expected, but it's been a while since I've been in a stock 135i.

* Gearbox - Was great. I don't get to drive many manuals anymore so it was fun to give one a go. I didn't have any issues changing gears as it was smooth. Maybe not as mechanical feeling or precise as an RX8 or a Porsche but some may prefer that.

* Grip - Of what little hard driving off the line or around corners it actually didn't have as much grip as I thought from the back anyway. My rear tyres are very good (Toyo R1R's 255) but I would say I had just as much, if not more rear wheel grip. The front however was a completely different story as I'm still running RFTs!

* Suspension - I have read reviews saying it's quite hard, but I didn't think this at all. It was smooth, solid and confidence inspiring. Easy to live with too. As I mentioned before, if I closed my eyes, the car felt completely different to mine. The steering made the car feel lighter too, so it was a lot more nimble and it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

In summary, obviously I have focussed more on power, rather than suspension, or overall package. I feel I can use the power more day to day than it's ability to go around corners as I feel it's safer on suburban streets. I'd rather accelerate from 0-80 or 40-100 than go around the bends at way above the speed limit day to day. Obviously if this was a weekend car or I didn't drive as much in my 135i than I do now my priorities would be different.

So as a daily driver I still think I would be happier in my car than a stock 1M (modded on the other hand.... ) If I were buying a new car and was coming from a stock 135i or another car, I would have the 1M on the top of my list. It looks extremely tough in the flesh, I would still take black though. VO is a little too out there for me, and the white doesn't show the wide stance as much as a darker colour.

Thanks again to Sparoz for the drive it was excellent!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

i agree with it all,

the suspension in the 1m is actually softer on bumps then the 135i but has almost no body roll which is really good.

and i think my auto 135i was definately quicker in traffic and daily driving as it was so easy to drive. it is different story when the road opens but

your modded 135i might have more power, but i feel the 1m's dual mass fly wheel just helps the motor rev out so much faster it is insane and feels massively fast, it also sets the traction control off all the time, this car is a widow maker for sure. if you could get a similar set up with the fly wheel in the 135i i would do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

So.... Will I be happy or unhappy with the power of the 1M, coming from a modded 135i ??
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Nice review Richard. I think a modded 1M is the best of both worlds!

Zuzu - I think a 1M is less power than a 135i with JB3 Map 3 according to our last dyno day. Yes I did say map 3 on JB3! Throw a JB in your 1M and you'll be laughing
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Also you forgot to comment on the looks Richard. I love the 1M widebody
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Zuzu - I think a 1M is less power than a 135i with JB3 Map 3 according to our last dyno day. Yes I did say map 3 on JB3! Throw a JB in your 1M and you'll be laughing
True..Once it has the 2k km run in service, the JB4 will be installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
So.... Will I be happy or unhappy with the power of the 1M, coming from a modded 135i ??
Hmmm... good question. I think only you will be able to answer that sorry Zuzu!

beemer: No matter if the 1M has a light flywheel, it didn't feel as quick and didn't give me that shove in the back that my car gives me
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Nice review Richard! Now, I just need to jump in Tim's car to compare. With better cooling, a JB4 on the 1M may yield a little more, but I won't expect much - it is the same engine after all. I thought Darren's car pulled 236.9 and the 1M probably would be about the same. The way Vinney and Richard's car pull is actually closer to a NA until the drop off.

Last edited by sparoz; 10-17-2011 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
True..Once it has the 2k km run in service, the JB4 will be installed.
1M + JB4 = WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Nice review Richard! Now, I just need to jump in Tim's car to compare. With better cooling, a JB4 on the 1M may yield a little more, but I won't expect much - it is the same engine after all. I thought Darren's car pulled 236.9 and the 1M probably would be about the same. The way Vinney and Richard's car pull is actually closer to a NA until the drop off.
I think Richard and I were the most disappointed with our results. When I saw 249kw pop up on the screen my jaw dropped for the wrong reasons. I'm sure Richard felt the same way. We expected a lot more with our current setups so once we fix up our issues I'm sure we'll be back on the dyno. I am happy that my power ramps up smoothly though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #10
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Darren was the Z4? That is his wife's Z435i with a JB3 which did basically the same as Warren's 135i with JB3, both on map 3.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Hmmm... good question. I think only you will be able to answer that sorry Zuzu!

beemer: No matter if the 1M has a light flywheel, it didn't feel as quick and didn't give me that shove in the back that my car gives me
seriously!! i don't think you flogged it hard enough, looks like i might have to try a tune, however i don't think i could get any traction at all with any more boost so it would be waste of time, its hard enough now,
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
i agree with it all,

the suspension in the 1m is actually softer on bumps then the 135i but has almost no body roll which is really good.

and i think my auto 135i was definately quicker in traffic and daily driving as it was so easy to drive. it is different story when the road opens but

your modded 135i might have more power, but i feel the 1m's dual mass fly wheel just helps the motor rev out so much faster it is insane and feels massively fast, it also sets the traction control off all the time, this car is a widow maker for sure. if you could get a similar set up with the fly wheel in the 135i i would do it.
Quote:
seriously!! i don't think you flogged it hard enough, looks like i might have to try a tune, however i don't think i could get any traction at all with any more boost so it would be waste of time, its hard enough now,
I doubt the fly wheel gives the impression of it feeling faster. Both engines are the same except they are running different tunes.

A 30kw deficit at the rear wheels is hard to overcome, trust me - if you lined the cars up side by side the difference would be bus lengths not car lengths. I highly recommend a tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
A 30kw deficit at the rear wheels is hard to overcome, trust me - if you lined the cars up side by side the difference would be bus lengths not car lengths. I highly recommend a tune.
You are correct mate... I am 100% sure I will be more than happy with the 1M in its standard form.. But in saying that, a JB4 will deffinately be installed after the run in service.
Second mod will be mid pipes.. I just love the deep rumble and gurgle my vert has.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #14
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
There is a difference between a rolling acceleration from say, 3rd gear @ 2500rpm, and a 2-3rd gear change where the clutch has been dumped at high rpm. Even a launch from stop is different in an auto compared to a launch with high rpm in a manual.

If you can get a 1M to wheelspin in a rolling 3rd gear pull you must be driving on ice. In a 1M, I doubt you could even wheelspin in a rolling 2nd gear pull? In my car it's extremely hard to lose traction rolling in 2nd due to the tyre grip. But trust me, a 2nd gear pull in my car hauls more than the 1M. Let's not forget a standard 1M can do 0-100 in 4.9seconds. A Lamborghini Gallardo does 0-100 a fair bit faster than that, yet I am faster down the 1/4mile than a standard Gallardo... I would estimate I could do 0-100 in maybe 4.1-4.2?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
You are correct mate... I am 100% sure I will be more than happy with the 1M in its standard form.. But in saying that, a JB4 will deffinately be installed after the run in service.
Second mod will be mid pipes.. I just love the deep rumble and gurgle my vert has.
A 250+kw atw 1M would be a freaking machine!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
A 250+kw atw 1M would be a freaking machine!
Thats the plan and then some..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #17
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Do the dp's too!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #18
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Do the dp's too!
They are still on the wish list..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #19
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
There is a difference between a rolling acceleration from say, 3rd gear @ 2500rpm, and a 2-3rd gear change where the clutch has been dumped at high rpm. Even a launch from stop is different in an auto compared to a launch with high rpm in a manual.

If you can get a 1M to wheelspin in a rolling 3rd gear pull you must be driving on ice. In a 1M, I doubt you could even wheelspin in a rolling 2nd gear pull? In my car it's extremely hard to lose traction rolling in 2nd due to the tyre grip. But trust me, a 2nd gear pull in my car hauls more than the 1M. Let's not forget a standard 1M can do 0-100 in 4.9seconds. A Lamborghini Gallardo does 0-100 a fair bit faster than that, yet I am faster down the 1/4mile than a standard Gallardo... I would estimate I could do 0-100 in maybe 4.1-4.2?
traction control cuts in all the time in 3rd with the foot to the floor, however it may have alot to do with the quality of the road, i might have to get a tune and try it on a perfect piece of bitumen, but on anything else it would be a waste of time,
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
traction control cuts in all the time in 3rd with the foot to the floor, however it may have alot to do with the quality of the road, i might have to get a tune and try it on a perfect piece of bitumen, but on anything else it would be a waste of time,
Put it in MDM. It is much less intrusive on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #21
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Oh yeah I also meant with DTC on, or even traction control fully off. I wouldn't say TC light blinking and cutting out the power as 'loss of traction' and on a reasonably smooth road...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think it's the quality of the road and the condition of your tyres. I have PSS 265/30/19 + LSD + 30kw more and I don't break traction in 3rd.
Appreciate 0