BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #45
John ITRW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
Any additional detail about the disassembly of the shift lever/knob would be appreciated. I'm so stoked to have this done. If I weren't going on holiday next month I'd sent the pieces off TODAY!
Removing it from the car is easy.
When the knob is off there is a ribbon cable from the circuit board and some transmission control box. Remove the ribbon end from the control box.

From this point you'll have the knob in your hand, take a butter knife and slide it between the silver faceplate and leather back part. Do this at the base of the knob where it gets narrow ( this part >> \_/ ) The silver faceplate will slide out with some friction connector things.

Remove all the screws holding the circuit to the knob, the circuit board and the "unlock" plastic button. Disconnect cable and remove board completely.

This is where it gets tricky. You could probably send it to JPM with the cable. But for my case I removed the ribbon cable.

Remove all the pins from the black connector using whatever tools you think will work, I used two mini flatheads.

Grab some sandpaper and sand the knob on the "inside" part where the pins get stuck when you try to pull the cable out. Youll see where im talking about. The cable will come out and youll be good to go.

DONT FORGET to remove the other triangular piece that is in the silver faceplate, this is the final detail for them to wrap. Goodluck let me know if you have questions.

Sorry im on a friends computer...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #46
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I couldn't get the shift knob off of the car. I removed the circuit board and all the buttons but never could figure out how to get the knob to detach. I even removed the screws from the rubber dust boot, but still no luck. I've run out of time (this time) so I'm just sending them my gauge pod to be covered. I'll either figure this out later or just buy a second shifter to send in.
      09-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #47
gman36
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen
I couldn't get the shift knob off of the car. I removed the circuit board and all the buttons but never could figure out how to get the knob to detach. I even removed the screws from the rubber dust boot, but still no luck. I've run out of time (this time) so I'm just sending them my gauge pod to be covered. I'll either figure this out later or just buy a second shifter to send in.
Send the shift knob with the boot!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #48
gman36
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen
You have to pull kinda hard and it will just pop off. It will just pop back in when you reinstall it. Post picks of the dash cover!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #49
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman36 View Post
Send the shift knob with the boot!!!
I was referring to the rubber dust boot that's underneath the leather boot.
I didn't realize that I just needed to rip the thing off but now it's too late. I have the gauge cover boxed up, going to drop it off at the post office today. Tomorrow I head back to the States for some family time.

I've been talking to a buddy with DCT about splitting the cost of a second shifter so we could take turns sending them in with no down time. One way or another I'll have the boot done before next spring...
      09-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #50
gman36
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ahhh I see...

Well let us know how it goes with JPM. hopefully you'll be able to enjoy being one of the few with this shift knob here soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #51
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Talked to them today about billing info. Explained what happened with the shifter. They were really cool to deal with. I am considering trying to cover the iDrive screen housing if I can figure out how to remove it.

I love being on vacation but I can't wait to see the gauge pod covered when I get home!
      06-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #52
gman36
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did you end up ever getting it done?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #53
gman36
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Someone else get this mod done!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #54
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Sorry to bump an old thread but anyone know if anyone else makes this? JPM went out of business.
Appreciate 0