BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #67
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ercharger.html
^I always thought that was a cool kit for e36s.

Why no one make cams for our car!?

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 05-21-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #68
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post

Email Shrick about it, I already have.

More voices they hear, more likely we are to receive.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #69
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post

I already did like a year or two ago, was basically told at the moment they don't see it happening because they don't believe the market for it is really there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #70
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

What's his contact info? Make a thread about us wanting one. Let's get their attention
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #71
tuphdc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg

Quote:

you reminded me, I see on AA's website they have a tune option for "High Performance Cams"....what is that all about?? If the 328's support that, so should 128 right?

http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...ware-p124.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #72
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
That kit, especially after you add an intercooler (scary that it doesn't come with one, IMO, and will really limit how much power/boost you can add), will add a fair amount of weight, all in the front overhang. You may need to start adding other stuff like an uprated clutch, oil cooler, etc. to handle the power, too.

75lbs just for the engine N52 vs. N54 (including turbo, extra piping, intercooler, etc) seems reasonable. The rest is probably brakes, moonroof, probably a few minor things I'm forgetting. Factory oil cooler, perhaps radiator or fans are slightly larger?

I think the brakes are well worth it, especially with the added power.

Almost agree with you. Almost.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #73
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Quote from my email from Roman at ESS tuning.

"The kit will come with everything you need including software.
We will not release production dyno numbers until the kit is 100% finished.
This kit does not run FMIC as it is a low boost application.
All of our kits get a min of 30k miles of testing and are reliable.
DISA manifolds I will follow up on with you."
odd, someone else got a reply saying they've tested on 3 stage, and no real benefits but it doesn't hurt.

Quote:
That kit, especially after you add an intercooler (scary that it doesn't come with one, IMO, and will really limit how much power/boost you can add), will add a fair amount of weight, all in the front overhang. You may need to start adding other stuff like an uprated clutch, oil cooler, etc. to handle the power, too.

75lbs just for the engine N52 vs. N54 (including turbo, extra piping, intercooler, etc) seems reasonable. The rest is probably brakes, moonroof, probably a few minor things I'm forgetting. Factory oil cooler, perhaps radiator or fans are slightly larger?

I think the brakes are well worth it, especially with the added power.
radiator is not as tall on the 135i, FMIC has to fit there.

also, from the same person as above, they said it got 295rwhp.. i bet with headers, FMIC, more boost, better fuel.. it's going to be WAY more than 100hp+.

Quote:

i've emailed them.. bout 12 months ago

they make N52 cams.. if you find a part list, and it says 'N54' that's not true, it's actually an N52. i have emails of them showing this... non turbo with valvetronic.

Which is odd, when N54 guys are starting to crack 700whp multiple times, and no matter how many times we all ask, we get a 'no'
Quote:
I already did like a year or two ago, was basically told at the moment they don't see it happening because they don't believe the market for it is really there.
Strange, last email i got from them asking about N54 cams, they told me they had N52 cams (logic, right? lets make cams for the LOWER performance motor woohhooooo!!)

Last edited by flinchy; 05-21-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #74
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Well that changes things. I wonder if he simply didn't know what he was talking about, or meant the S52.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #75
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Looked twice, and I didn't see the NXX Cams listed on Schrick's Catalog.

Stock camshafts are advertised to be 9.9/255 Degrees intake 9.7/263 Degrees Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #76
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Now let me start that I am in the camp of most people here that FI on the N52 isn't cost effective and the engine isn't designed to handle it. However, if we move past this and just assume one wants to do FI. Wouldn't turbo be more cost effective than supercharging. With turbo I would think you could probably borrow a lot of components form the N54/5 and possibly get used parts, while with supercharging it would all be from scratch. I haven't ever looked at the engines side by side so I don't know what would be swappable but this just seems simpler than supercharhing at least to me. I do thank ESS for all of their work though. I assume this took a lot of time and money to develop. I guess we will see how things turn out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #77
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

turboing a 128 literally defeats the purpose of buying a 128i. Turbo's get rid of the linear power curve and add turbo lag which ruins the responsiveness. a supercharger keeps the NA characteristics but give it more power throughout the range.

granted, going FI on a 128i really is only done because one wants something individual or is really trying to push the envelope of the n52. I have no plans to go any further than i currently stand.
      05-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #78
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald View Post
Wouldn't turbo be more cost effective than supercharging. With turbo I would think you could probably borrow a lot of components form the N54/5 and possibly get used parts, while with supercharging it would all be from scratch. I haven't ever looked at the engines side by side so I don't know what would be swappable but this just seems simpler than supercharhing at least to me.
I think it's a lot of the case of "take what you can get" since options are limited with the N52. DISA manifolds with tunes, and that's about it. Cams could be interesting...

I'd actually rather see a roots blower (despite their poor efficiency), or a Lysholm blower (efficient, but very expensive). They add torque across the rev range, while centrifugals produce progressive boost with RPM, offering very little gains at lower RPM. But then you're looking at a custom intake manifold, probably investment cast, which has lot of upfront costs making low production number kits prohibitively expensive.

Don't quote me on it, but I remember reading that the N54/N55 turbo manifolds will not fit the N52. I imagine there are a lot of issues beyond that, like the intake ducting and whatnot, especially with the twins. Oil/water lines and drains... Probably again looks better to just trade up.
      05-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #79
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
turboing a 128 literally defeats the purpose of buying a 128i. Turbo's get rid of the linear power curve and add turbo lag which ruins the responsiveness. a supercharger keeps the NA characteristics but give it more power throughout the range.

granted, going FI on a 128i really is only done because one wants something individual or is really trying to push the envelope of the n52. I have no plans to go any further than i currently stand.
I don't think I would ever go FI route on my 128i too. I bought this car because I thought it was a good balance of power, handling, comfort, and reliability to be my daily driver. Still considering adding headers + tune like you did to get a little bit more power but that's all I want right now in terms of additional power. That said, it's nice to have more options for different mods to choose from, especially if it's from a well respected company so I have no complaints here.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #80
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well that changes things. I wonder if he simply didn't know what he was talking about, or meant the S52.
nope, he sent pics, was an N52 head, had valvetronic.

they WERE very confused though, he definitely said '3.0 non turbo valvetronik' or something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Looked twice, and I didn't see the NXX Cams listed on Schrick's Catalog.

Stock camshafts are advertised to be 9.9/255 Degrees intake 9.7/263 Degrees Exhaust.
http://www.schrick.com/index.php?article_id=6&nid=6

those N54 cams are actually N52.

they also said

"Hi.
??
having a look at parts lists, there's also 0476A1561-00 and 0476E1501-01.. it seems like it's for a v8 but entered incorrectly? (<me)

We have the 0476 cams not in the catalog. ????

The N54 engine is the Valvetronik engine, enclose picture.."

and then they sent pics of an N52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald View Post
Now let me start that I am in the camp of most people here that FI on the N52 isn't cost effective and the engine isn't designed to handle it. However, if we move past this and just assume one wants to do FI. Wouldn't turbo be more cost effective than supercharging. With turbo I would think you could probably borrow a lot of components form the N54/5 and possibly get used parts, while with supercharging it would all be from scratch. I haven't ever looked at the engines side by side so I don't know what would be swappable but this just seems simpler than supercharhing at least to me. I do thank ESS for all of their work though. I assume this took a lot of time and money to develop. I guess we will see how things turn out.
turbo is much more expensive.. exhaust manifolds etc.

Last edited by flinchy; 05-22-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #81
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's a lot of the case of "take what you can get" since options are limited with the N52. DISA manifolds with tunes, and that's about it. Cams could be interesting...

I'd actually rather see a roots blower (despite their poor efficiency), or a Lysholm blower (efficient, but very expensive). They add torque across the rev range, while centrifugals produce progressive boost with RPM, offering very little gains at lower RPM. But then you're looking at a custom intake manifold, probably investment cast, which has lot of upfront costs making low production number kits prohibitively expensive.

Don't quote me on it, but I remember reading that the N54/N55 turbo manifolds will not fit the N52. I imagine there are a lot of issues beyond that, like the intake ducting and whatnot, especially with the twins. Oil/water lines and drains... Probably again looks better to just trade up.
Roots and Twin screw blowers are very hard on the bottom end of motors.

Centrifugal superchargers do produce progressive boost making them the most "reliable" option for going F.I. on a N/A non forged internal engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #82
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
nope, he sent pics, was an N52 head, had valvetronic.

they WERE very confused though, he definitely said '3.0 non turbo valvetronik' or something to that effect.

http://www.schrick.com/index.php?article_id=6&nid=6

those N54 cams are actually N52.

they also said

"Hi.
??
having a look at parts lists, there's also 0476A1561-00 and 0476E1501-01.. it seems like it's for a v8 but entered incorrectly? (<me)

We have the 0476 cams not in the catalog. ????

The N54 engine is the Valvetronik engine, enclose picture.."

and then they sent pics of an N52.

turbo is much more expensive.. exhaust manifolds etc.
Price? And thoae aren't listed in the catalog.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:39 AM   #83
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Price? And thoae aren't listed in the catalog.
i found it on other websites schrick catalogues first

price hm

http://www.part-box.com/products.php...ck&language=it

if you search each part numbers, it shows up

570 GBP per it looks like.. aka $$$$$$$$$$$

ED: just to clarify what i think.. there's a typo somewhere along the lines, i'm not even sure if they REALLY exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #84
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

http://www.schrick.com/?clang=1

If you click on catalog, they don't show up at all :shrug:

But the price itself isn't bad - About $647usd per cam or $1254 for the set. (VAT doesn't apply to overseas sales.)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #85
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

its alive!! here a short clip

http://instagram.com/p/oTxR5hNfDg
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #86
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

quote on quote from Roman esstuning

"Hey guys

The Stage 3 DISA intake manifold is 100% compatible with our supercharger system. We are actually running one currently in our 128i development vehicle. There is very little advantage to running them with our supercharger kit but if you already have one there are no issues.

As far as the N51/N52 motors ability to handle boost, they are very solid. We have been running 10 PSI in our development 330i for some time now. This is more boost than we will run in the production kits but we wanted to see how it could handle several PSI more than production during thousands of miles of testing and it has done very well. The same goes for the transmissions in these cars. We will make sure the production kit stays well within the limits of the vehicles hardware and that the vehicles that run our kits are very reliable as we have done for many years.

If you are not familiar with us spend some time and look over our website, this website or online and you will see this in not our first rodeo when it comes to doing FI on BMW"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #87
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Sounds sweet! Thank you ESS for all of your hard work on this project. I still question if this is something I would want to do to my DD but I think everyone here appreciates your hard work and giving us the option!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #88
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

This is some exciting shit - looking forward to more news and details.
Appreciate 0