BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Cure for the Drone?

I love my 1M, and it is my DD. But, are there any options to quiet the drone? I have just under 4K miles, and the drone is definitely not going away. In fact, I think it is getting a little worse. In commuting to work, I am at that magic rpm which produces the drone.

Last edited by rogbmw; 12-18-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
VOM
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe

Drive something with a louder drone and you won't find it too bad! haha
      12-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Use a different gear? Are you cruising in sixth? One can just as easily use fourth or fifth gear to elevate the rpms. To answer tour question, Others have reported that a different exhaust may change this tone at the rpm you are concerned about. Check out reviews of the Eisenmann
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Ear plugs and/or windows down and/or radio up. Solved, cheap.
      12-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
I love my 1M, and it is my DD. But, are there any options to quiet the drone? I have just under 4K miles, and the drone is definitely going away. In commuting to work, I am at that magic rpm which produces the drone.
Just ignore the unproductive useless comments. People who say there is no drone in this car probably think the world is flat and there is no such thing as gravity. I have no issues with some saying it doesn't bother them or they like it but to say it doesn't exist, is just a classic case of 'ignorance is bliss.'

The drone is measurable. I am currently attempting to nail down the exact frequency at ~2300RPM in 6th. I'm trying to get a good recording to capture and analyze. I was planning on doing a thread for those looking for a solution to the drone. There is an equation that you can use to calculate the length of tubing(closed end Helmholtz chamber) to weld inline prior to the exhaust that will not affect airflow(air will not pass through) but will absorb the drone causing frequency. (on my phone currently and don't have the equation handy) The diameter will be the exact same as the existing OEM piping. The exhaust will sound pretty much exactly the same across the entire frequency spectrum except for the specific drone frequency.
      12-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

We already have a long thread on the controversy of this "drone."
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
This car does not drone. It's called an exhaust note
Agreed,if anything it needs more of it LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Wow not this again. Terrible drone, NO!

Yes there is a Small drone for a range of about 100 rpm. Is it that bad. No Way. This is a performance car. Most people add performance exhausts to these types of cars and in most cases add Drone in, way more drone than is stock in the 1M.

I really can't figure out what all that complain about the drone are looking for? If it bothers you that badly put a stock 135i system on the car.

One ride in my 05 Stage II WRX STi will let you know what exhaust drone really is.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Just ignore the unproductive useless comments. People who say there is no drone in this car probably think the world is flat and there is no such thing as gravity. I have no issues with some saying it doesn't bother them or they like it but to say it doesn't exist, is just a classic case of 'ignorance is bliss.'

The drone is measurable. I am currently attempting to nail down the exact frequency at ~2300RPM in 6th. I'm trying to get a good recording to capture and analyze. I was planning on doing a thread for those looking for a solution to the drone. There is an equation that you can use to calculate the length of tubing(closed end Helmholtz chamber) to weld inline prior to the exhaust that will not affect airflow(air will not pass through) but will absorb the drone causing frequency. (on my phone currently and don't have the equation handy) The diameter will be the exact same as the existing OEM piping. The exhaust will sound pretty much exactly the same across the entire frequency spectrum except for the specific drone frequency.

Thanks Metak for the constructive note - I look forward to what you may come up with. To others, I'm not trying to recreate a thread on "if there is a drone or not". I enjoy the exhaust note (not sure my neighbors do at 7am when I leave for work), but as many have said, there is a "drone" at a certain RPM. I know what a nice exhaust note is, as I have had it on several other cars, but I'm not talking about exhaust note. Yes, and I change gears to help. I'm simply talking about that specific RPM range where there is resonance (or drone as many have called it) - not the great exhaust note that the 1M has - that can be annoying to some, and if there is something that can be done to filter out the drone, but not remove the beautiful exhaust note on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Use a different gear? Are you cruising in sixth? One can just as easily use fourth or fifth gear to elevate the rpms. To answer tour question, Others have reported that a different exhaust may change this tone at the rpm you are concerned about. Check out reviews of the Eisenmann
Thanks - has anyone here on the board actually changed?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Buy an m5 or m3. This car is m pure.
Had 3 M3s - like the 1M better!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
This car does not drone. It's called an exhaust note
We did not notice it when you met me in Jax when the car came in...I love the exhaust note! - Just not the drone...in my car they are definitely two different things.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
We did not notice it when you met me in Jax when the car came in...I love the exhaust note! - Just not the drone...in my car they are definitely two different things.

+1

It sounds like something is gonna break down in the car when the drone appears.........resonance can do that, like the walls of Jericho

I avoid the 2300 RPM range.................
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

The only thing that will work for your particular issue with drone is to adjust the rpm (no news there), going to a differnt exhaust sytem may help however it's impossible to know what you hear as drone since everyones hearing is different. The other thing is once you think you hear something, be it drone, a ticking sound etc., is you'll probably start to listen for it, making it worse. Try cracking your window a bit, or listen to something on the radio to take your attention away from the drone for a while, eventually you will not even notice it, or you'll adjust the rpm without even thinking about it.
      12-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
oldBMWguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M [Finally !]

Yes Santa Claus, there is a Drone !... and it is Not that nice exhaust note. It is that "light load" sound from 2200-2700 rpm. Gator [also from Fl] said that his installation of the Berk Tech Midpipe "reduced" the drone-- hope to hear more from him and others that have changed out a part of their exhaust. [maybe the N55 midpipes ?]. I noted the problem to my dealer when I did the 1200 service. He achnowledged the problem, and "retightened" the exhaust system in different ways two times, but it did not improve the drone. If enough dealers note it as a problem, BMW might look for a fix for those who want it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Use a different gear? Are you cruising in sixth? One can just as easily use fourth or fifth gear to elevate the rpms. To answer your question, Others have reported that a different exhaust may change this tone at the rpm you are concerned about. Check out reviews of the Eisenmann
Thanks - has anyone here on the board actually changed?

Ok. I'll try again.

I specifically recall reading a post from someone (cannot recall whom) that switched exhaust Systems to an Eisenmann commenting that it was better with regards to resonance/drone. I would recommend looking in the actual engine/exhaust sub-forum, or searching on Eisenmann, more specifically the latter, as I don't believe it was the only modification done to the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

If I could just get my car I will actually post videos of the magnaflow and a N55 midpipe change. The parts are sitting in the garage...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Thanks Metak for the constructive note - I look forward to what you may come up with. To others, I'm not trying to recreate a thread on "if there is a drone or not". I enjoy the exhaust note (not sure my neighbors do at 7am when I leave for work), but as many have said, there is a "drone" at a certain RPM. I know what a nice exhaust note is, as I have had it on several other cars, but I'm not talking about exhaust note. Yes, and I change gears to help. I'm simply talking about that specific RPM range where there is resonance (or drone as many have called it) - not the great exhaust note that the 1M has - that can be annoying to some, and if there is something that can be done to filter out the drone, but not remove the beautiful exhaust note on the car.
If you can create a new thread when you nail down your formula that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
One.M
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quiet the exhaust note by lifting the trunk floor and stuffing all the empty space with micro fiber rags. Makes big difference! Also having both rear set backs up, or at least the one behind the driver locked up keeps the sound of power just right. My car has over 4000 miles and the exhaust note has diminished.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Buy an m5 or m3. This car is m pure.
I had an M3 and I like the 1M better too
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
I had an M3 and I like the 1M better too
Had 2 M3s and glad with the move to a 1M. I like the 1M more.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #22
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Get an Akrapovic Exhaust. My full down pipe back system is better then any factory system ive heard. And no Drone on freeway at all even with the dumps open.
Appreciate 0