BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
xSegFaultx
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Who do I really have to worry about?

As a few of my first posts mentioned, I come from the opposite side of the vehicle spectrum. I traded in a massive, lifted Jeep for the 135i. I logged hundreds of hours building that thing up with my own hands and could probably take it apart and put it back together blindfolded.

Unfortunately, I'm finding this to be a far far far faaaar different world, and little of my previous knowledge is transferring over. I went from being able to drive over just about anything to being able to out drive just about anything and I am still amazed at what I have been missing this whole time. This car is stunning, and the drive train, suspension, and electronics are light years ahead of anything in the 4x4 world. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have been doing a lot of reading to try and arm myself with knowledge pertaining to this side of motor sports, but I admit that I have a lot to learn. The experience level on this board is impressive, and I was wondering if I could tap into the knowledge base.

The first place any conversation about sport cars starts is about which cars outperform which cars. So, I was wondering, aside from the obvious $100k plus super cars, what cars on the road can really out drive the 135i? I like to know who/what deserves my respect. :respekt:

Also, if anyone has some good reading links, I would be appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I had the good fortune of being able to drive the Rubicon trail from Rubicon Springs to the highway that rings Lake Tahoe. Most fun I ever had at 8 mph. ; -)

The interesting thing about the 1er is that there really isn't anything just like it on the market. A Subaru WRX STi may be in the same league, an Evo X also. Spend some more money on C6 Corvette (but two seats only), or a lot more money on a Cayman S.

The Mustang doesn't have the same driving feel, fit & finish, and is a just a shy bit less powerful than the 1er in stock form (but you can make them NOT-STOCK in a heartbeat). Speaking of 'heartbeat', the new Camaro may be something to watch as will be the SRT8 Challenger.

The 1er won't rotate (handle) as well as some real sports car at the limits without some supension work and a new set of tires.

I put about 300 miles on the car today driving 2 lane state and federal roads and this is a GREAT 'Grand Touring' car. What a blast - sixth gear passes from 55-60 MPH and no drama. Sticks through the twisties and didn't kill the wife's back. I can't ask for anything more. Perfect car for the type of travel I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

magazine racing and real life racing on a racetrack are a bit different. especially since magazines don't test cars racing from a roll (except for car and driver 5-60mph - my favorite benchmark). In general i wouldn't think "my car is faster than that other car because my car got a .1 faster 0-60"

having said that, if you're stock in a vert (which is slower than a coupe) you'd probably be matched or be able to barely beat evos, sti's, cheap american v8's - like mustang gt, chrysler 300c, cameros z28, etc, 350z's, acura nsx, boxter S, cayman s, e46 m3, z4 m, z3 m, lotus elise, audi s4, mercedes c32, c55, clk55, i'm sure i'm missing some and this is all very ballpark.

you'd probably loose to expensive american v8s (ie. over 40K), like c4, c5 or c6 corvette, mustang cobras or shelbys whatha you, anything with srt8 on it, modified evos/stis (which is most of em on the road), all the amg and m cars not mentioned above, the rs audis, lotus exige, again these are just estimates and i'm sure i'm missing stuff.

again i'm not basing this on 0-6 and standing quarter mile performance, but more on what i've seen from real world performance and also assuming that cars within .3 sec in 0-60 are pretty much drivers races.

flame suit on.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I get A LOT of attention in the One, it seems, from people who want to find out!

Here's who's in "the league", similar performance, and some demographic cross over: E46 M3, E36 M3, 335i, Z4 MC, Evo, STi, Audi S4.

Other "driver's race" cars: GTO (LS2), Mustang GT (newest), Boxster S, Cayman S, 996, base 997, SRT8 cars, base C5 Vettes, NSX, E39 M5.

Common cars that will lite you up: C5 Z06, any C6, M5/M6(E60/62), 997S, Porsche Turbos, modified V8 cars, "The Usual Suspects" (Cobra, Vipers, Supras, Ferraris, Lambos, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSegFaultx View Post
As a few of my first posts mentioned, I come from the opposite side of the vehicle spectrum. I traded in a massive, lifted Jeep for the 135i. I logged hundreds of hours building that thing up with my own hands and could probably take it apart and put it back together blindfolded.

Unfortunately, I'm finding this to be a far far far faaaar different world, and little of my previous knowledge is transferring over. I went from being able to drive over just about anything to being able to out drive just about anything and I am still amazed at what I have been missing this whole time. This car is stunning, and the drive train, suspension, and electronics are light years ahead of anything in the 4x4 world. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have been doing a lot of reading to try and arm myself with knowledge pertaining to this side of motor sports, but I admit that I have a lot to learn. The experience level on this board is impressive, and I was wondering if I could tap into the knowledge base.

The first place any conversation about sport cars starts is about which cars outperform which cars. So, I was wondering, aside from the obvious $100k plus super cars, what cars on the road can really out drive the 135i? I like to know who/what deserves my respect. :respekt:

Also, if anyone has some good reading links, I would be appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
imported_Sinner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

A 135i will have no problem dispatching a C4 vette. I had a 98 Firebird Formula and my friend had a 1984 C4 coupe and my Formula walked all over the vette.

A 135i will launch quicker than a 4th gen Fbody/C5 vette but they'll pull ya on the big end. Mustangs excluding the 03-04 Cobra/GT500 shouldn't be a problem. Don't be fooled by ricers who say Fbodies can't handle, they've won as many autoX competitions as the Miata has.

350Z's, S2000's and RX8 wouldn't be worth the gas, you might as well race a minivan.

Sti/Evo's will be the opposite of running a Fbody/C5 vette. Launched properly they'll be gone like a bat outta hell but a 135i will pass them.

C6 vettes, 5th Gen Camaro, G8 GXP, any of the SRT8's, Viper ect are going to need mods to hang with to serious mods to beat.

Obviously the driver mod is the best mod money can buy. A great driver can make pretty much any car fast, on the street or the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

The Rev Up Zs are in the same GNERAL League. They can run mid 13s. They'd certainly be a decent match on a road course or Auto X curcuit. They can usually keep up with E46 M3, and the Nismo Z will usually outpace the M on most tracks and autox courses.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Steve135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Very good listing of cars, and realistic.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
The Rev Up Zs are in the same GNERAL League. They can run mid 13s. They'd certainly be a decent match on a road course or Auto X curcuit. They can usually keep up with E46 M3, and the Nismo Z will usually outpace the M on most tracks and autox courses.
the so called rev up z's (2005-6 with the stickshift) aren't but the 2007 z's with vq35HR will be in the ballpark. i had a 05 g35 with the rev up engine and spent a bunch of time on g35driver and my350z.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #9
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
A 135i will have no problem dispatching a C4 vette. I had a 98 Firebird Formula and my friend had a 1984 C4 coupe and my Formula walked all over the vette.

A 135i will launch quicker than a 4th gen Fbody/C5 vette but they'll pull ya on the big end.
check out this regarding c4's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C4#ZR-1

especially the line that says: "Not until the debut of the C5 platform Z06 would Chevrolet have another production Corvette capable of matching the ZR-1's performance, however."

As for c5 vs. 135, having owned both cars the c5 is a faster car in real life, at any speed in any rpm. it makes your stomach drop. on paper the 0-60 is the same and the c5 is faster in the quarter and traps higher. c5 has the advantage of launching with an LSD and has a tighter suspension allowing you to put the power down better. a c5's low end performance is actually better than its top end performance because it doesn't rev to 7,000 rpms like the bmw. its top speed is listed at 175 but by 160 its barely pulling. ask me how i know.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSegFaultx View Post
I like to know who/what deserves my respect. :respekt:
The first that deserves your respect is your own car, then yourself, then the circuit you are on whether that be the track or the highway and then the other cars.

As for cars on tracks, depends on the type of track but lets say grandprix...you should be able to kick those Vipers/Vettes ass. Most can not hold the curves. I haven't taken the 135i out on the track yet but my Cooper eats the V/V's for lunch...and it's just a supercharged 4 banger! I would think a change in suspension and wheels/tires for the 135i would make it very competitive. However, take the curves out...you better know how to drive...home with your head in a basket:eyebulge:

Call
      06-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
you should be able to kick those Vipers/Vettes ass. Most can not hold the curves. I haven't taken the 135i out on the track yet but my Cooper eats the V/V's for lunch...and it's just a supercharged 4 banger!
Call

Vettes and Viper can't hold curves? WHAT?!

If you're passing a C5 or C6 Vette in a Mini it's because the guy is afraid to put it's foot down. Those cars are both in a whole different leage on a track.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Welcome to the boards, hopefully you stay as a BMW enthusiast for the rest of your life

I have to agree with this. My 135i Vert is the first BMW I have ever owned. Honestly, I just thought it was going to be a cool car, with a good name that had some luxury features. After driving Japanese and American cars my whole life I just really didn't expect much difference. What a shock the first time I drove the 135i. There is this weird 1'ness with the car that has to be experienced as it really can't be described. The only other time I had this feeling was when I test drove a Porsche Cayman S.

I am however, a certified BMW enthusiast for life now
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
imported_Sinner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
check out this regarding c4's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C4#ZR-1

especially the line that says: "Not until the debut of the C5 platform Z06 would Chevrolet have another production Corvette capable of matching the ZR-1's performance, however."

As for c5 vs. 135, having owned both cars the c5 is a faster car in real life, at any speed in any rpm. it makes your stomach drop. on paper the 0-60 is the same and the c5 is faster in the quarter and traps higher. c5 has the advantage of launching with an LSD and has a tighter suspension allowing you to put the power down better. a c5's low end performance is actually better than its top end performance because it doesn't rev to 7,000 rpms like the bmw. its top speed is listed at 175 but by 160 its barely pulling. ask me how i know.
I didn't count the ZR-1 cause you never see them anymore. You don't have to tell me the vette is faster, I said it in my post, hell I also said I owned an LS1 Fbody(and no they didn't make less power or run slower the than the C5). The LS1 has a far better top end than the 135i. Just because the BMW revs to 7000 doesn't mean it's making power up there and it doesn't. I learned that from this forum.

The 135i is a really quick car and like you stated the C5 pushes you back in your seat. That's missing from the BMW, maybe people like it that way, I miss it. To me the car felt slow during my test drive, it wasn't slow though I hit 160-170km/h merging onto the highway but you were disconnected from the sensation of speed. That dangerous to the bank account and driving record.

I think the 135i is gonna surprise a lot of people at street lights in it's stock form and even more so once modded. I'm concerned about BMW's reliability and durability.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
xSegFaultx
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great comments all around. Thanks to everyone for the insight.
Appreciate 0