BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
WSU87
Rep
Drives:

Visited Factory in Leipzig

Finishing a family vacation in Germany I had an opportunity to stop by the Leipzig plant Friday (just happened to be in the "neighborhood") :wink:.
My 135i coupe is being built next week so I checked at the reception desk for a plant tour. I didn't care if the tour guide was speaking German, English, or Swahili...I just wanted to see what was behind the magic curtain. I was thrilled to find out they had a plant tour (in English!) that afternoon so my son and I spent 2 hours in wonderland. The body shop, paint shop and assembly line are as massive as they are impressive, unfortunately they didn't allow cameras inside. I've posted a few pix from the parking lot and lobby.
Since opening in 2005 the Leipzig plant is BMW's most advanced factory. The body panels are trucked in from the BMW plant in Regensburg Germany and other vendor plants. As soon as the body is welded (about 8 hours) it goes on a conveyor system (see the lobby photo) to a holding area for a few hours (or a few days) of storage before being called forward for painting.
The body then rolls on another conveyor--again through the lobby--for up to 16 hours in the paint shop. For efficiency the line is set up for painting up to two body colors during a shift (say, alpine white and sparkling gray) so the painted bodies go back to a mass temporary holding area without being "assigned" to a specific production number.
The car "belongs" to a production number when the painted body gets called up for the assembly line. Because every car is produced for a specific customer order, all of the information for that order is loaded onto an electronic sensor attached to the car for tracking through the 8-hour assembly process (US or Euro spec, right or left hand drive, color of interior, electronic options, type of engine, and so on). The tour guide said about 20% of 1 series production is going to the US market and the vast majority of those are 135s. Because a 135i costs minimum 50K euro ($80K) in Europe, they are very rare here. In fact, about two-thirds of 1 series built for the European market are being built with diesel engines.
Most of the welding and painting is automated, but most assembly is still done by hand. I walked away with a great impression of the quality and craftsmanship we're paying BMW to produce and it makes the few more weeks of waiting a little more bearable.
Cheers,
WSU87
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for sharing your trip. Mine is going through the line with yours. I desire the Made in Leipzig badge!! Cool.
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Very cool. Did they have a factory outlet store?
      06-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
They should bring the 123d here.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
EINS
Simply One Great Car!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM Coupe

Garage List
2008 E82 / 135i  [0.00]
Thumbs up Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU87 View Post
Finishing a family vacation in Germany I had an opportunity to stop by the Leipzig plant Friday (just happened to be in the "neighborhood") :wink:.
My 135i coupe is being built next week so I checked at the reception desk for a plant tour. I didn't care if the tour guide was speaking German, English, or Swahili...I just wanted to see what was behind the magic curtain. I was thrilled to find out they had a plant tour (in English!) that afternoon so my son and I spent 2 hours in wonderland. The body shop, paint shop and assembly line are as massive as they are impressive, unfortunately they didn't allow cameras inside. I've posted a few pix from the parking lot and lobby.
Since opening in 2005 the Leipzig plant is BMW's most advanced factory. The body panels are trucked in from the BMW plant in Regensburg Germany and other vendor plants. As soon as the body is welded (about 8 hours) it goes on a conveyor system (see the lobby photo) to a holding area for a few hours (or a few days) of storage before being called forward for painting.
The body then rolls on another conveyor--again through the lobby--for up to 16 hours in the paint shop. For efficiency the line is set up for painting up to two body colors during a shift (say, alpine white and sparkling gray) so the painted bodies go back to a mass temporary holding area without being "assigned" to a specific production number.
The car "belongs" to a production number when the painted body gets called up for the assembly line. Because every car is produced for a specific customer order, all of the information for that order is loaded onto an electronic sensor attached to the car for tracking through the 8-hour assembly process (US or Euro spec, right or left hand drive, color of interior, electronic options, type of engine, and so on). The tour guide said about 20% of 1 series production is going to the US market and the vast majority of those are 135s. Because a 135i costs minimum 50K euro ($80K) in Europe, they are very rare here. In fact, about two-thirds of 1 series built for the European market are being built with diesel engines.
Most of the welding and painting is automated, but most assembly is still done by hand. I walked away with a great impression of the quality and craftsmanship we're paying BMW to produce and it makes the few more weeks of waiting a little more bearable.
Cheers,
WSU87
Thanks for the write-up and pictures!

My dad and I will be in Leipzig next Friday with my 135i to tour the plant. Our reservations are already set.

-Jeff
      06-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Love to see more photos!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
i went to leipzig in 2004 to see the porsche factory (among other things) and i believe they were just building that one. would love to go back and see it. i did ED in munchen and i absolutely love that factory. best tour i'd ever been on, and i've seen everything from the toyota factory in KY to both Porsche factories in stuttgart and leipzig among others.
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I really wanted to go to Leipzig while on European Delivery. Unfortunately it just wasn't possible. Looks like it was a blast! Hopefully I can make it there one day to see where my car was born

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
WSU87
Rep
Drives:

They had a small gift shop in the lobby. It was mostly BMW logo clothing, but they had several scale models of the 135. The 1:18 Kyosho is 59 euros. I had to have 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
But no factory remnants bin, like cars missing a wheel or anything?
      06-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

i would take a 123d in a heartbeat over my 135 which is somewhere on the atlantic at present
Appreciate 0