BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Code 2DCE-Valvetronic Failure

Last couple days I've been having starting issues, thought it was the HFPF going out but hooked laptop up to JB4 this morning and read the 2dce code; yanked the JB4 and USB cable out and limped into work... taking car to dealer at lunch (5 miles away from work)

I found a SIB (SI B12 14 10) relating to the code for e82's; would it be wise to push for Vanos actuator replacement (warranty only has 10k/1.5 years left) or let them do the software programming to try to fix? I live about 35 miles away from the dealership and its a long drive to limp on (in my opinion)

Also would it be wise to push for a walnut blasting to be covered because this is valve related? (yes I know I might be dreaming but I have read that certain members have been able to get it covered under warranty issues) And does anyone have input as to what should be done/checked at 40k? I told them to do a full inspection and replace/take care of the 40k change during my last visit (37.6k) but they did not...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Is there a pdf download or site that lists the scheduled service intervals? I'm needing the 40k one done and I cannot find the site I saw last time--my dealership is good for doing exactly what you ask, no less, but no more either. I have to be specific in what I ask ha.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Can't hurt to tell your service adviser when you drop your vehicle off that you are aware of the SIB and are concerned that your warranty is almost up and don't want it failing right outside warranty.
      10-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP you might also read this thread and be aware of the broken (Vanous)bolt heads. Some dealers don't find all the broken heads but then again some do - like on post #26 of this thread...

N55 VANOS issues, be cautious!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...2#post14821112
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Can't hurt to tell your service adviser when you drop your vehicle off that you are aware of the SIB and are concerned that your warranty is almost up and don't want it failing right outside warranty.
I tried to explain that to them over the phone when I called to make sure they have a loaner available (sometimes an issue as they are only dealership within a 45 mile radius) and I scheduled appointment; the lady seemed to get offended I knew the SIB information and responded with "yea well we'll see when we look it over"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP you might also read this thread and be aware of the broken (Vanous)bolt heads. Some dealers don't find all the broken heads but then again some do - like on post #26 of this thread...

N55 VANOS issues, be cautious!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...2#post14821112
Thanks Dack, actually read through that after making my post--probably should have gone in that thread but didn't see it until after.

I believe the actuator is "sticking" because when I lock/unlock the vehicle you can noticeably hear the actuator clicking continuously for roughly 2-5 minutes (varies in length of time). It might be loose bolts and the actuator not fully engaging, but I didn't take anything a part to truly find out knowing I had the warranty. Any chance they're going to give me a hard time over intake/downpipe/charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Just an update for anyone that may experience the same issue:

Dealer reprogrammed software; the car was storing faults that weren't always present and prevented the DME from functioning properly. I'm picking up today at lunch, will edit this post to include software version and tests performed.

Side note:
I received a 2014 320xi as a loaner. 180HP/200Ft lbs. 4cylinder Turbo; it was low end leatherette interior but had iDrive and all electronic packages. Rides incredibly smooth, sport mode does provide more get up and go than I anticipated (car actually rocked back when accelerating despite being automatic) and overall it would make a great daily driver/commuter. I drove it roughly 80 miles total (round trip to work and grocery store) and I averaged just over 30mpg in ECO-PRO mode. Its far from the "ultimate driving machine" but it executes what BMW built it for with ease. Great car for an entry bimmer!
Appreciate 0