BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Rear/Front Parking Sensors

Whatup guys! I just recently got my 2011 135i, and it has all the packages I want EXCEPT parking sensors! Do any of you know a way to install the IDrive integrated parking sensors on my car / how much it would run me? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

why do you want them? Its a tiny car, and they make the bumper ugly anyway. Plus i dont think there is OEM front sensors. (Correct me if im wrong)

But the way to do this is buy the bumper with sensors, have it painted whatever color you wish, install it, and i would assume theres some additional coding to be done to make it functional.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
why do you want them? Its a tiny car, and they make the bumper ugly anyway. Plus i dont think there is OEM front sensors. (Correct me if im wrong)

But the way to do this is buy the bumper with sensors, have it painted whatever color you wish, install it, and i would assume theres some additional coding to be done to make it functional.
Yeah from my knowledge the front sensors weren't even an option, yet I've seen multiple cars on here that have front sensors. I know they arent necessary, but I'm lazy
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

No OEM front sensors were available in US. Some other countries, like Australia I know seems to have them on their 1's.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaroufi View Post
Yeah from my knowledge the front sensors weren't even an option, yet I've seen multiple cars on here that have front sensors. I know they arent necessary, but I'm lazy
If you're lazy why would you want to go through the huge headache of incorporating this? Not to mention they look horrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Canasian
It has finally arrived. It's pretty cute!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is Space Gray DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
A lot of people say they're ugly. As far as I can tell, they're just four tiny circles on the rear bumper that I hardly notice. Not a single friend/family member has ever mentioned anything about it either. If these four circles AREN'T the sensor... then I DEFINITELY can't tell where it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canasian View Post
A lot of people say they're ugly. As far as I can tell, they're just four tiny circles on the rear bumper that I hardly notice. Not a single friend/family member has ever mentioned anything about it either. If these four circles AREN'T the sensor... then I DEFINITELY can't tell where it is.
Those 4 circles are the sensors. And I get that to the average non-car lover they aren't a big deal. Thats why they made the things in the first place. But in my opinion they ruin the lines of the bumper. Its kinda like having a painting with a couple half inch holes in it. Its minimal yes, but it ruins the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canasian View Post
I will say that the darker the color, the less noticeable they are. I debated on them when I did my order and when you see them on a white or say cashmere silver (see below) or titanium silver, they are much more noticeable. I think they're a great deal though on our cars for $380 and don't bother me one iota, though I thought they might.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Canasian
It has finally arrived. It's pretty cute!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is Space Gray DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Those 4 circles are the sensors. And I get that to the average non-car lover they aren't a big deal. Thats why they made the things in the first place. But in my opinion they ruin the lines of the bumper. Its kinda like having a painting with a couple half inch holes in it. Its minimal yes, but it ruins the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I will say that the darker the color, the less noticeable they are. I debated on them when I did my order and when you see them on a white or say cashmere silver (see below) or titanium silver, they are much more noticeable. I think they're a great deal though on our cars for $380 and don't bother me one iota, though I thought they might.

Yes that's true. Space Gray tends to be on the darker side of gray. For myself, I know the car is tiny and EXTREMELY maneuverable in tight spaces (LOVE IT LOVE IT) but it helps me park ass-in faster and it might pick up something I don't notice behind me. For myself on a brand new 135is... worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Ya, space gray or darker, I'd get. Anything lighter I'd probably pass for aesthetic reasons.

What's most interesting is the rear parking camera retrofit you can get. Granted, these cars probably don't NEED any of these things, but park the lil guy in a parking lot and have some a-holes in suburbans park next to you and you suddenly can't see if ANY cars are coming down the aisle when you back up, where a camera would really help.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

In my car the "park assist" is garbage and does nothing more than make loud noises while I use my vision to avoid hitting anything
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/Uni...r?currency=USD

I thought about trying this out since the cab has major blind spots.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:20 AM   #13
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post

What's most interesting is the rear parking camera retrofit you can get..
Does this exist for us 135 owners?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:49 AM   #14
woahitsholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaroufi View Post
Whatup guys! I just recently got my 2011 135i, and it has all the packages I want EXCEPT parking sensors! Do any of you know a way to install the IDrive integrated parking sensors on my car / how much it would run me? Thanks

Old post, I know. Hope you did this. I’m doing mine now and connecting them all to my custom-programmed android deck and digital instrument cluster. Made my entire 2010e82 modernized and redid the interior completely. Wasn’t that much to do, and was mostly just either paint gunning some of the ugly fake wood crap with lacquer-based stuff I found (it’s amazing and literally won’t chip or scratch even with a razor. Love it haha) and adding heated recaro seats, the dash unit and cluster, a alcantara wheel, shifter and the rest of the usual stuff. Making the car communicate with the aftermarket crap was the tricky part. Had to do a lot of it off a OBD2 splitter with usb inputs and hide that sucker in the kick panels lol. Came out cool though. Got the sensors working, and mounted the UNDER the bumpers after taking them out of their plastic casing. Bout the same thickness too. Only thing I’m having trouble with is the damn Amazon back up camera integrated into a new truck button. Damn thing flicks on and off. Might need more power than reverse light wire is giving it. Who knows. My point of all this is that if you still have the car, and if you’re still doing stuff to it, have any questions, let me know. On the original owner of my car bought a pack in 2010 and the sucker still only has 50,000 miles on it. I don’t think I’ll ever sell that thing. it’s basically a 2024 car at this point with all the electronics. I have it in custom stuff I’ve done to it it drives like one it’s fu***g great. Haha. I might have some questions about my sensors if you did do them. Thanks. I’ll send pm if you’re still around lol. This is a decade old lol
Appreciate 0