BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Need C clip

Hi guys. Long time no post.

Well it finally happened to me - I blew the charge pipe off the throttle body at Lakeside raceway. Done a few track days and the car usually runs well but not this time. I've dropped the undertray and unfortunately no clip rattling around down there.

So does anyone have a spare clip as nearly all of the aftermarket charge pipes require this clip for installation and, stupidly, they don't include one in their kits.
BMW doesn't sell this clip as a separate part so if you want one from them you have to buy the complete charge pipe. I don't want to go back to the OEM pipe given its unreliability so I'm on the scrounge.

I may as well get new diverter valves while I'm at it so I would welcome your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

That's unfortunate Gazz. I doubt the OEM charge pipe would be much cheaper than an aftermarket one either, and you only need it of the factory c clip.

What concerns me is that you blew the CP off at the throttle body end. The ER charge pipe utilises the same factory c clip so in theory the same thing should happen. My ER charge pipe has never blown off though and I run a lot of boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

They always come off the throttle body end. Mine fractured and part of the end broke away hence the loss of c-clip. BMW OEM part is weak plastic, ER charge pipe is alloy so you shouldn't have a problem. Local price for a charge pipe $667 - Pelican parts price $324 US, about $410 AU plus delivery. No wonder I buy everything from OS.
May have a solution. I'll buy a BMR charge pipe for $299, get some wire to the same gauge as the c-clip wire, or to put it another way, a thickness that will fit neatly in the slots of the charge pipe end where it fits over the throttle body flange, fold the wire into the slots and clamp them into place with a T bolt clamp. This, in theory, would have the same result as a c-clip in holding the pipe onto the throttle body flange.

Credit to Stuart at Advan for this suggestion. Thanks Stuart.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

^ losing the original C clip is a bitch. Been doing the ring around and BMW only sells the C clip with a new charge pipe.

I have not heard of an original C clip blowing off when used with an aftermarket charge pipe.

Looks like it's time to get some aftermarket C clips fabbed up

Last edited by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes; 05-20-2015 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #5
Griffster
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
May have a solution. I'll buy a BMR charge pipe for $299, get some wire to the same gauge as the c-clip wire, or to put it another way, a thickness that will fit neatly in the slots of the charge pipe end where it fits over the throttle body flange, fold the wire into the slots and clamp them into place with a T bolt clamp. This, in theory, would have the same result as a c-clip in holding the pipe onto the throttle body flange.

Credit to Stuart at Advan for this suggestion. Thanks Stuart.
I wonder if you could use a wire twister in the same manner?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I have a mate who could easily fab some clips up, but getting him to do stuff like this is like getting blood out of a stone!

Definately would be doable, and I'm sure if advan knocked up a dozen or so they could sell them for $50 each easily!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Griffster
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
^ losing the original C clip is a bitch. Been doing the ring around and BMW only sells the C clip with a new charge pipe.

I have not heard of an original C clip blowing off when used with an aftermarket charge pipe.

Looks like it's time to get some aftermarket C clips fabbed up
Easy to get them made if someone has a sample, or can draw it in CAD and specify the type of metal they want it made from and coated with. Would take.. oh 5 minutes of work on Alibaba and probably cost less than a cent each.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135i

How likely is my charge pipe to blow? The car is my daily and I'm wondering whether I should preemptively get an aftermarket charge pipe to have on standby.

Also, these clips sound intentionally difficult to acquire.. It seems like a way to deter using after market parts, if you can only get the C clip with the OEM charge pipe. Im pretty sure we've all come to that conclusion already though.
      05-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermanentCraving View Post
How likely is my charge pipe to blow? The car is my daily and I'm wondering whether I should preemptively get an aftermarket charge pipe to have on standby.

Also, these clips sound intentionally difficult to acquire.. It seems like a way to deter using after market parts, if you can only get the C clip with the OEM charge pipe. Im pretty sure we've all come to that conclusion already though.
IMHO, if you're running more boost than standard or you do track days it's a must.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Quote:

IMHO, if you're running more boost than standard or you do track days it's a must.
Hmm thanks, I guess it's going to the top of my list haha
      05-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely considered to be one of the weak points of the car. Fortunately, it's a straight forward fix. If your charge pipe doesn't blow off, usually the stock diverter valves will which is an indication that you will need to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's definitely considered to be one of the weak points of the car. Fortunately, it's a straight forward fix. If your charge pipe doesn't blow off, usually the stock diverter valves will which is an indication that you will need to upgrade.
Well, I guess I'll order both and not drive too hard in the meantime.

ER seems to be a pretty highly regarded brand around here, what do you think?
      05-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I recommend the ER Charge Pipe. It's probably the most popular charge pipe for the N54. I would recommend ordering the 09 version aka the long version as it replaces the plastic factory elbow section as well (also a known weakpoint) and I think it's an extra $50. It doesn't hurt to get a bung or two to future proof it for methanol injection, but that's entirely up to you. Anodizing isn't necessary but it looks a lot more stealth. But to answer your question, yes go with Evolution Raceworks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #14
PermanentCraving
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I recommend the ER Charge Pipe. It's probably the most popular charge pipe for the N54. I would recommend ordering the 09 version aka the long version as it replaces the plastic factory elbow section as well (also a known weakpoint) and I think it's an extra $50. It doesn't hurt to get a bung or two to future proof it for methanol injection, but that's entirely up to you. Anodizing isn't necessary but it looks a lot more stealth. But to answer your question, yes go with Evolution Raceworks
Hmm brilliant.

I was considering getting a bung or two but I'm not 100% sure I want to run meth as it's completely illegal here in Aus, isn't it?

EDIT: completely illegal assuming you don't jump through all of the hoops.
      05-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hmm brilliant.

I was considering getting a bung or two but I'm not 100% sure I want to run meth as it's completely illegal here in Aus, isn't it?

EDIT: completely illegal assuming you don't jump through all of the hoops.
Technically the BOV isn't legal either.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #16
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

.........or simply buy one from ECS for $9
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ntake/ES39182/
Attached Images

05-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #17
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
This is the clip that secures the intercooler to the piping. But it looks very similar. It couldn't hurt to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #18
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Ok just checked it again, here's another view, might need a second/third opinion.
Attached Images

Last edited by TS135i; 05-21-2015 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Here's another view.
I hope it works. But the C-clip at the throttle body is quite large, I'm not sure if this is the same size. If it is, I'm not sure why vendors don't charge another $10 and include these C-clips in their charge pipe kits.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #20
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Good thinking Rocco, but unfortunately I've been down this route and can confirm they are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I hope it works. But the C-clip at the throttle body is quite large, I'm not sure if this is the same size.
^ you are correct sir
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:43 AM   #21
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Here's my home made c-clip alternative. Took a little while to get the profile right and shape the hooked ends, grind to just above flush with the outer diameter of the pipe then bolt clamp into place. The smaller wire is a filler piece that sits on top of the inner wire to stop the inner wire from bowing out. The two bits of wire shown weren't the final shape but you get the idea. Works so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:04 AM   #22
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Here's my home made c-clip alternative. Took a little while to get the profile right and shape the hooked ends, grind to just above flush with the outer diameter of the pipe then bolt clamp into place. The smaller wire is a filler piece that sits on top of the inner wire to stop the inner wire from bowing out. The two bits of wire shown weren't the final shape but you get the idea. Works so far.
Nice work Gazz. You saved a few $ by the looks of things. I was going to suggest something similar. I think from memory the Stett charge pipe utilises a sleeve and t-clamp so I was thinking you could do something along those lines.
Appreciate 0