BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Where are the big single turbo conversions?

Seems like all the big single talk has died did they uncover a problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

What's the news on the Vishnu 62mm single

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

It was a problem even before it began. It's more headache than its worth. Unless you have a spare $25-$40k to throw at a proper single turbo built its just gonna give you problem after problem. Can't really do this kind of built on a small budget.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Read threads on "the other forum", interesting stuff there especially about a certain company which for some bizarre reason gets great reviews on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Are you talking Australia or in the USA. There are no single kits in Australia that I am aware of (the kit is LHD). There is only one single kit in the world that I am aware of and it has the world records for dyno, drag racing and 60-130 etc. So it does work and there are happy customers. It is a Niche market, and it pushes the N54 engine to a higher power level than any other system, so it exposes some weaknesses in the power/drive train. So it really is more for a very small percentage of people who want to have the most power an N54 can currently produce and are willing to upgrade everything else in the power/drive train to suit the driving they wish to do at the power level the kit can make.

No matter what way you go, you are never going to take a stock N54 vehicle and bolt on a $15k kit and produce 600hp ATW and never have any issue. Whatever way you do it, you will need to upgrade many other aspects of the car that will be damaged due to running well beyond their engineered loads. Eventually all the weaknesses will be solved and it may be possible to produce a kit for $30k+ that is somewhat more reliable, but replaces most drivetrain components and engine components like ignition and fuel system.

So the single is not marketed at people who think it is too expensive and they can get better value with other twin turbo options. Those people are welcome to go that way and will be happier for it. If however someone has some cash and wants to go the next step above the twin turbo options, then they should consider the single.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
Read threads on "the other forum", interesting stuff there especially about a certain company which for some bizarre reason gets great reviews on this forum.
Maybe it gets great reviews because it works really well and is an Australian designed product with local support?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Buy this and pave the way:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790842
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Maybe it gets great reviews because it works really well and is an Australian designed product with local support?
+ 1. Credit where credit is due.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

With our fuel supply I think for now is RB the right and best way to go...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu
Are you talking Australia or in the USA. There are no single kits in Australia that I am aware of (the kit is LHD). There is only one single kit in the world that I am aware of and it has the world records for dyno, drag racing and 60-130 etc. So it does work and there are happy customers. It is a Niche market, and it pushes the N54 engine to a higher power level than any other system, so it exposes some weaknesses in the power/drive train. So it really is more for a very small percentage of people who want to have the most power an N54 can currently produce and are willing to upgrade everything else in the power/drive train to suit the driving they wish to do at the power level the kit can make.

No matter what way you go, you are never going to take a stock N54 vehicle and bolt on a $15k kit and produce 600hp ATW and never have any issue. Whatever way you do it, you will need to upgrade many other aspects of the car that will be damaged due to running well beyond their engineered loads. Eventually all the weaknesses will be solved and it may be possible to produce a kit for $30k+ that is somewhat more reliable, but replaces most drivetrain components and engine components like ignition and fuel system.

So the single is not marketed at people who think it is too expensive and they can get better value with other twin turbo options. Those people are welcome to go that way and will be happier for it. If however someone has some cash and wants to go the next step above the twin turbo options, then they should consider the single.
Aren't there a bunch of sc m3's punching 300+ atw?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I think the milder E46 supercharged M3's are hitting around 300rwkw but the S65's normally range between 350-450rwkw.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135
I think the milder E46 supercharged M3's are hitting around 300rwkw but the S65's normally range between 350-450rwkw.
Ok but isn't the dct the same?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Advan turbo kit

Its happening but progress is slow as we are funding most of it our selves, i do worry about cost as our kit will come with, Front mount intercooler, complete exhaust system, duel oil coolers, large radiator, meth system, fuel system, turbo system and air filter with cold air intake system, the engine management set up and tuned on the dyno.

The engine will remain stock

It will have at least 400kw at the wheels so the auto cars may have a problem
there will be no DIY deals it will be fitted by advan only at this point.

Sorry it will cost shit loads $15,000- $18,000 So if your looking for something cheap keep looking.

We are making 3 kits in the first batch Justin, Me, and one for stock.

First one will be running mid year 2013
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
vishnu ST has proven to be somewhat dodgy, no real evidence of working customer cars, early leavers en masse, fuelling still an issue.. they DID fix the misfire error, caused by the OEM dual mass flywheel... at least i haven't seen any new videos or anything recently, i hope for someone to prove me wrong

but there are.. at least 2 or 3 people/companies making ST setups custom if you read the other forum, they're looking VERY promising come proper tuning and fuelling solutions.

Quote:

what do you mean 'it's LHD' it will work fine on a RHD car. it's the big twins that won't fit due to the steering rack.

can you provide some proof of dyno WR's, 1/4 WR's and 60-130 WR's? i don't believe anyone has ever released anything reliable.

it's only as of the last few days that proper LPFP and HPFP upgrades have started to become a potential reality too, THAT is the only reason big singles and huge power hasn't happened yet, it cannot be supported by the fuelling system .. the only drivetrain weakness is input splines shattering from wheelhop, which now also has an almost 100% solution... that's up to 550~ proven WHP at least, no one really knows about higher..

Quote:
what australian designed product are you talkking about? there are no aus native tuning or turbo systems as far as i'm aware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Its happening but progress is slow as we are funding most of it our selves, i do worry about cost as our kit will come with, Front mount intercooler, complete exhaust system, duel oil coolers, large radiator, meth system, fuel system, turbo system and air filter with cold air intake system, the engine management set up and tuned on the dyno.

The engine will remain stock

It will have at least 400kw at the wheels so the auto cars may have a problem
there will be no DIY deals it will be fitted by advan only at this point.

Sorry it will cost shit loads $15,000- $18,000 So if your looking for something cheap keep looking.

We are making 3 kits in the first batch Justin, Me, and one for stock.

First one will be running mid year 2013
what setup are you going? (turbo selection*)

someone on the other forum has made 550whp (410kw) on RB's with ported head and OEM thicker gasket on cobb tune.. so... ?
and if it's 15-18k for the full bolt on and go setup, what would the price be on just the turbo/downpiipe/intake/manifold etc.?.. since you're going to have to compete with the likes of vargas's turbo upgrades among the myriad other vendors stepping up.

IE: BYO fmic/oil coolers/exhaust/tune/fuel system blah blah

ED: oh no DIY deals, sorry just saw that bit.. wow, well, uh.. i look forward to seeing it then lol

Last edited by flinchy; 01-25-2013 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #15
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
vishnu ST has proven to be somewhat dodgy, no real evidence of working customer cars, early leavers en masse, fuelling still an issue.. they DID fix the misfire error, caused by the OEM dual mass flywheel... at least i haven't seen any new videos or anything recently, i hope for someone to prove me wrong

but there are.. at least 2 or 3 people/companies making ST setups custom if you read the other forum, they're looking VERY promising come proper tuning and fuelling solutions.

what do you mean 'it's LHD' it will work fine on a RHD car. it's the big twins that won't fit due to the steering rack.

can you provide some proof of dyno WR's, 1/4 WR's and 60-130 WR's? i don't believe anyone has ever released anything reliable.

it's only as of the last few days that proper LPFP and HPFP upgrades have started to become a potential reality too, THAT is the only reason big singles and huge power hasn't happened yet, it cannot be supported by the fuelling system .. the only drivetrain weakness is input splines shattering from wheelhop, which now also has an almost 100% solution... that's up to 550~ proven WHP at least, no one really knows about higher..

what australian designed product are you talkking about? there are no aus native tuning or turbo systems as far as i'm aware?

what setup are you going? (turbo selection*)

someone on the other forum has made 550whp (410kw) on RB's with ported head and OEM thicker gasket on cobb tune.. so... ?
and if it's 15-18k for the full bolt on and go setup, what would the price be on just the turbo/downpiipe/intake/manifold etc.?

IE: BYO fmic/oil coolers/exhaust/tune/fuel system blah blah
The most we have seen on our dyno with the N54 and RB turbos is 362kw @ 20psi
our goal is around 400+kw @16psi with the single kit.
I dont care how much power they make in the US with there Dynojet dynos,
I have a Dynodynamics dyno it is a lot harder to make the numbers with the Aussie dynos.
The turbo that we are using is the Garrett GTX3582R for the high response kit. Using the stock engine.

The big power kit will come much later but will include a engine rebuild and the OS twin plate clutch but you would be up for $40,000 +

We will not sell any parts from our kits unless it is to replace a broken component Sorry.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-25-2013 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
our goal is around 400+kw @16psi
I have a Dynodynamics dyno it is a lot harder to make the numbers with the Aussie dynos.
The turbo that we are using is the Garrett GTX3582R for the high response kit. Using the stock engine.

The big power kit will come much later but will include a engine rebuild and the OS twin plate clutch but you would be up for $40,000 +

We will not sell any parts from our kits unless it is to replace a broken component Sorry.
that's true, it was in fact on a DJ, but still, it was with somewhat different modifications, on stock intake piping.. and it's not THAT great a difference. was also at over 22.5PSI.

cool, a GTX35* should definitely be able to make some GREAT numbers with upgraded fuelling.. 400kw+ at 16psi should be really interesting to see, i'd assume the turbo would have lots lots more in it than 16?.. near 30? i guess that's where you're holding back for the full rebuilt setup?

sucks you won't be selling kits out for DIY . was hoping for another option
.. definitely excited to see where you take the N54 though, it's a huge shame you're keeping it all in house. it's not going to be long (6 months at most) that just about everything needed for the N54 will be available from various vendors otherwise...

$40k sounds damnnn steep, but i'm sure it'll be a mighty upgrade package,, i'd hope for 800whp at least? "{
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
our goal is around 400+kw @16psi with the single kit.

Is there enough room to run 2 x GTX2860R?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #18
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i'd like the answer to be yes?

i dunno if the front DP could go underneath instead of through the steering rack >_>

hearing Skycats answer would be interesting too ^_^
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Sorry we looked a that early last year there is not enough room to have a GTX2860R low mount system.
No dought some one will do it but not us.
The single is the way to go as a hiperformance kit but the RB turbos are still my first choice they do work very well and are a great option for up to 350kw.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #20
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry we looked a that early last year there is not enough room to have a GTX2860R low mount system.
No dought some one will do it but not us.
The single is the way to go as a hiperformance kit but the RB turbos are still my first choice they do work very well and are a great option for up to 350kw.
are you able to explain exactly what part of it doesn't fit properly?

i know in that photo it's the downpipe passing through the steering rack, but why does it have to do that (if it does)

just curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #21
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:

i know in that photo it's the downpipe passing through the steering rack, but why does it have to do that (if it does)

just curious.
To much heat and no room sorry its no RB26 or 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Quote:

just curious.
To much heat and no room sorry its no RB26 or 2JZ
No room where?.. That's the only thing anyone says but not which part is in the way, besides said steering rack for dp

It's fitting in the lhd's perfectly, the only thing being their downpipe placement is through the rhd steering rack

So apparently heat isn't an issue for them either?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread