BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
rvsixdriver
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Which camber plates?

Have a stock 128i 6mt sport pkg. stock wheels and rflts. Have done 2des and really got lots of outer edge wear on the fronts. Backs look ok.

Our track is really fast with several high speed sweepers. I dont plan to autox.

Im Driving the car pretty hard and having fun with ok lap times so I'm ok with performance as is, but I'm killing the fronts.

Heard pulling the pins only gives .5 neg, so I'm thinking about plates. Car still in warrantee, so I was thinking about dinan even though it only adds .7 deg fixed? Is this enough with pulling pins?

Is there a warrantee issue if you install for Vorshlag or ground control?

Which is better between ground control and Vorshlag?

This is my daily driver, so I don't want noise issues.. I like the car on the street juste the way it is, just looking to save some rubber for 8 to12 de 's I will do.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I have the Dinan plates (installation requires removal of the camber pins, btw) and am running about -1.5° at each wheel after a dealer alignment. Previously I was at -1.16° and -2.16°, so I know I could be running more aggressively if I wanted to, but for the time being I'm just glad to have them more closely matched.

I don't have M3 control arms in front, which would add even more negative camber, but I am lowered at least an inch. I'm not sure you could duplicate these numbers at stock ride height.
      02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

There is no warranty issue if you install GC or vorshlag plates. A law/bill was passed last year that prevents dealers for denying warranty claims because of aftermarket parts. The only thing they don't have to warranty is the upper mount that is replaced by the Camber plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixdriver View Post
Have a stock 128i 6mt sport pkg. stock wheels and rflts. Have done 2des and really got lots of outer edge wear on the fronts. Backs look ok.

Our track is really fast with several high speed sweepers. I dont plan to autox.

Im Driving the car pretty hard and having fun with ok lap times so I'm ok with performance as is, but I'm killing the fronts.

Heard pulling the pins only gives .5 neg, so I'm thinking about plates. Car still in warrantee, so I was thinking about dinan even though it only adds .7 deg fixed? Is this enough with pulling pins?

Is there a warrantee issue if you install for Vorshlag or ground control?

Which is better between ground control and Vorshlag?

This is my daily driver, so I don't want noise issues.. I like the car on the street juste the way it is, just looking to save some rubber for 8 to12 de 's I will do.
      02-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Your first step should probably be M3 Control Arms. You get the camber of Dinan camber plates, but You also get the stiffer bushings. Next I would add the Dinan camber plates since there's no risk of noise there either.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

I currently run BMW PS and M3 Arms and my wear is pretty even with 13k miles a year mostly highway and one DE event. I am adding the Dinan plates soon and an hoping to have good wear with 2 events per year.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Camber plates transfer so much noise into the cabin. Hitting a pot hole feels like it's going to tear the front of the car off.

That said, having a good shop align your car (with plates) transforms the car. I was amazed at how much the handling improved.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK
Camber plates transfer so much noise into the cabin. Hitting a pot hole feels like it's going to tear the front of the car off.

That said, having a good shop align your car (with plates) transforms the car. I was amazed at how much the handling improved.
Curious to know which plates you are referring to? Careful to make blanket statements. There can be a big difference in the design from one company to another.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
Curious to know which plates you are referring to? Careful to make blanket statements. There can be a big difference in the design from one company to another.
I like to know which brand doesn't make any noise? I need one. tired of my noisy plates
      02-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

kori you may want to check into the ground control hybrid camber plates.
      02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
I like to know which brand doesn't make any noise? I need one. tired of my noisy plates
I've seen multiple reports that Dinan camber plates are noise free. They are just a plate that bolts on top of the OEM top-hat. Still uses the OEM bearing, etc. Just offsets the bolts to add some camber. No adjustability, but that means less parts that can squeak and creak. I am going to have them installed on my car in about a month. I already have M3 arms and BMW PS. I will be sure to report what my camber is with that combination.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ill be sure to report if they are noise free for me too obviously.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
dinan's plate give you very limited camber. if someone could make a fixed plate that offers max camber or to some varying degree I would buy.

Chris - isn't GC plates the same design as vorshlags ot tck's? spherical ball joints?
      02-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
dinan's plate give you very limited camber. if someone could make a fixed plate that offers max camber or to some varying degree I would buy.

Chris - isn't GC plates the same design as vorshlags ot tck's? spherical ball joints?
I don't know dude; my Vorshlags make no noise, on the street or on the track. Maybe I haven't noticed, but was one of the first things I tried to look for. Is it an install issue? Or maybe I'm just lucky I guess, I did install them myself just in case.
      02-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post

I don't know dude; my Vorshlags make no noise, on the street or on the track. Maybe I haven't noticed, but was one of the first things I tried to look for. Is it an install issue? Or maybe I'm just lucky I guess, I did install them myself just in case.
Give it some time. Already rebuilt mine in 2nd year
      02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Ground control makes street, hybrid and race camber plates for our cars. People who have them say the street plates make some noise, but a lot less than the race plates. Here's a thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514467

Dinan plates + M3 wishbones is a good compromise for doing street/track on street tires. It's not enough to get full potential from sick track tires like Pixelblue runs. Besides not enough camber, it's also not firm enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i, 08 535Xi

We will be installing a set of the Ground Control street plates within the next month or so for my 08 135i and I will make sure to do a nice write up for everyone to see.

Personally, they seem to be the best compromise between a full race plate like Vorshlag and a fixed plate like Dinan. They have axial load bearings that will need to be replaced after time like any other camber plate, but they also feature urethane bushings for long life and a smoother ride. You can also order them so that they are compatible with the factory springs or 2.5" race springs. Just my $.02.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #17
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Thanks Josh - very interested in the outcome.

Why have you decided to go for the street plates over the hybrid ones?
      02-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle View Post
Thanks Josh - very interested in the outcome.

Why have you decided to go for the street plates over the hybrid ones?
I have used GC products in the past and the design of the street plates fit my needs well. The urethane bushing aspect is very nice feature which will help reduce the NVH and harshness typically associated with a camber plate. It may cause a little deflection, but really I doubt it will be anything noticeable after looking at and feeling the bushing myself. They are also designed specifically to be compatible with the stock spring diameter. From what I understand, some people haven't had the best experience using the Vorshalg camber plates with the factory springs. I cannot confirm if that is true or not though as I have not tried them myself. I ruled the Dinan camber plates out because they don't offer enough camber, they aren't adjustable and I actually like the fact that the GC plates will be replacing the stock strut tops as they will be reducing a fair amount of deflection just by themselves. I will report back to you guys though with my final thoughts after having tried them out.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I had a set of Dinan plates, and they don't make any more noise that stock since they bushings and bearings are all stock. Dinan just adds an offset plate. I switched to the ground control street plates last weekend so I can get more camber. So far, they have been totally quiet. They don't use a solid metal bearing like Vorshlag. It is some type of poly bushing, so there is some flexibility, but it's much stiffer than the stock rubber.

The only problem I had is when I first got then, they came with spring hats that were 1/4" too wide, so they rubbed the body. I had to switch them with my stock hats, and now it's been working fine.
      02-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #20
uratomb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

For my 135i,

I got GC Street Camber plates on my stock suspension.

So far I don't really hear any noise from the plate.

And with stock height maxing out the plate will only give me -1.9 degree.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

I've used the Dinan Plates, Vorschlag plates, and M3 control arms in different stages of my build.

If you want solid, go with Dinan Plates. You get -1.5 camber off of them and it's really just a metal plate to move the mounting points. If you are still wearing down the outer edges, get M3 control arms as well which give you better steering feel as an additional benefit. This will get you around -2.3 deg, which is pretty ample for track.

I did go more extreme though with Vorshlag's and M3 arms, which give -3.7 deg camber, which I've found fantastic for track. There was a little squeaking the first 500 miles with the Vorshlag's in my case. Now there is zero noise and I don't notice any extra sound after 10 month, 7 autox's, and 3 track days.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
I've used the Dinan Plates, Vorschlag plates, and M3 control arms in different stages of my build.

If you want solid, go with Dinan Plates. You get -1.5 camber off of them and it's really just a metal plate to move the mounting points. If you are still wearing down the outer edges, get M3 control arms as well which give you better steering feel as an additional benefit. This will get you around -2.3 deg, which is pretty ample for track.

I did go more extreme though with Vorshlag's and M3 arms, which give -3.7 deg camber, which I've found fantastic for track. There was a little squeaking the first 500 miles with the Vorshlag's in my case. Now there is zero noise and I don't notice any extra sound after 10 month, 7 autox's, and 3 track days.
The Dinan camber plates and M3 front suspension components compliment each other nicely. Seems like the perfect setup for someone who wants to set 'em and forget 'em.

-Josh
Appreciate 0