BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Car Got Towed at Work

Ok so I parked my car in my office's parking lot today and apparently, without notice, they decided that they were going to be doing something in the lot requiring all the cars to not be there. So in their infinite wisdom they towed all the cars that were in the lot to a different lot next door. Needless to say I am furious. I have a DCT and I know you are not really supposed to tow our cars and that they need to be put on a flatbed which they could not have possibly done. I already put in a complaint but I need thoughts on what they could have screwed up by towing the car keeping in mind they did not have the keys so it was not in neutral. I want to get it checked out and make them pay for it so let me know your thoughts please. This is the same damn lot where I got hit within the first month of owning the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapout2taxes View Post
Ok so I parked my car in my office's parking lot today and apparently, without notice, they decided that they were going to be doing something in the lot requiring all the cars to not be there. So in their infinite wisdom they towed all the cars that were in the lot to a different lot next door. Needless to say I am furious. I have a DCT and I know you are not really supposed to tow our cars and that they need to be put on a flatbed which they could not have possibly done. I already put in a complaint but I need thoughts on what they could have screwed up by towing the car keeping in mind they did not have the keys so it was not in neutral. I want to get it checked out and make them pay for it so let me know your thoughts please. This is the same damn lot where I got hit within the first month of owning the car.
"without notice"??? i find that very unusual!

Is it possible you just missed the notice?----if you missed the notice, there's nothing you can really do about it.

definitely sucks though...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
What kind of office is this? It seems to me it is cheaper to ask people to move the cars themselves than towing it. Were you out of town or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
"without notice"??? i find that very unusual!

Is it possible you just missed the notice?----if you missed the notice, there's nothing you can really do about it.

definitely sucks though...
No, no definitely didn't miss any notice as at least 10 cars were also moved to the other lot. I talked to the guy who works the lot and he said apparently they forgot to lock the gates and post notice. So I am definitely in the right, just need to know what to have a shop check because its some bullshit that they just moved shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
What kind of office is this? It seems to me it is cheaper to ask people to move the cars themselves than towing it. Were you out of town or something?
Downtown LA accounting firm we aren't talking shabby and cheap here. Literally parked it at 8am then looked out the window at 11:30ish am and all the cars were towed. I am pissed off.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Assuming that you also had your car's parking brake engaged, there's no chance that they towed it front end up / rear end down...rather rear end up / front end down, and thus no issue with the transmission.

Missing something here as to a cause to worry about the tow.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
DTLA hooligans!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

I am by no means a law expert but I would have to think what they did was illegal if what you say is true that there was no warning or posting. I would be beyond livid and they would pay to serve as a lesson. You just don't go and start towing people's cars away as you please because you screwed up. It is a blatant disregard of other's property. Lack of respect for other's personal property fires me up more than just about anything. I would have gone as far as to file a police report. I know I am crazy but damn that would piss me off beyond belief.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

I would also check my car over very carefully for any scratches of dings as you can bet they did not give a damn about your car as they moved it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Assuming that you also had your car's parking brake engaged, there's no chance that they towed it front end up / rear end down...rather rear end up / front end down, and thus no issue with the transmission.

Missing something here as to a cause to worry about the tow.
Seriously? You don't see the cause to worry about my car being moved without me being present and for no cause? No offense but are you sure you should be on an enthusiast website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
I am by no means a law expert but I would have to think what they did was illegal if what you say is true that there was no warning or posting. I would be beyond livid and they would pay to serve as a lesson. You just don't go and start towing people's cars away as you please because you screwed up. It is a blatant disregard of other's property. Lack of respect for other's personal property fires me up more than just about anything. I would have gone as far as to file a police report. I know I am crazy but damn that would piss me off beyond belief. I would also check my car over very carefully for any scratches of dings as you can bet they did not give a damn about your car as they moved it.
Trust me I honestly wanted to. If I was leaving work at that time I probably would have because that is some BS. "We forgot to lock our lots so we just moved your car" is not an excuse nor do I find it acceptable. I want to go a step further and take the car into a shop to get the alignment and everything checked on their dime because what if they didn't set it down right? I certainly know they didn't flatbed tow it sooooo yeah. Still fuming!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Seriously? You don't see the cause to worry about my car being moved without me being present and for no cause? No offense but are you sure you should be on an enthusiast website?
Relax man...regardless of the car, and how enthusiastic you or I am about it, it's just a thing. So something was done to it. But you didn't answer my question as to which end was towed. As you state, it was in gear (bad) but don't state whether the park brake was on (good if it was), so that would have left the towing company one of two options...to either put a dolly under the rear wheels to tow it forwards or to have towed it backwards with the front wheels rolling.

If there's no cosmetic damage, there's little change for any other.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Relax man...regardless of the car, and how enthusiastic you or I am about it, it's just a thing.
I think he has every right to flip out over this, and if necessary sue/prosecute (obviously unlikely) the company. Its the principal of this.

At my job, the mechanics are in charge of snow plowing the office parking lots. They always ask everyone to move their cars to a different side of the lot to plow, but one day an unknown truck wasn't moved, and no one knew who it belonged to. The shop manager decided to use a fork lift under the axle to drag it to a plowed area and then roll it back when they had plowed around the car. Granted it was a semi-rusty 1995 Chevy truck, but it still isn't your car. I was livid and if it weren't for fear of being fired I would have gone off on them. Turned out the engineer owning the car took an M-plate offsite for the day and left her mothers truck behind.

All this to move 3 inches of snow... People are idiots sometimes and should learn you can't just screw with other people's stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Bit strange to just start towing cars all over the place. Something seems very off here.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Jettt
Gun Slinger
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow and with caution

We are doing parking lot work... So I towed your car to my house. Hope you dont mind. lolol
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread