BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Germany inspections question

To those in Germany...I'll be moving to Ramstein AFB next February. I really want to do a custom exhaust before I head that way. I wanted catless downpipes, with catless midpipes, and throw on "X" muffler. How strict are the inspections there? How often? Has anyone passed with just catless downpipes and stock everything else? What other combinations have people passed with? Any other places that will just pass you off or anything? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kris
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

You will need all your emission items installed when having your vehicle inspected on base (actually at Vogelweh). After passing your inspection, you can do whatever you want with your exhaust system. Just note: every time you have your vehicle inspected, you'll have to reinstall the stock system to comply with emission and noise standards.

Congrats on your assignment, what's your AFSC?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Thanks for the info. So, is the inspection every year then? I am currently a 3D172, but volunteered for a special duty(postal courier). So they know where exactly you should have cats then? For catless downpipes. They don't actually have a sniffer or anything? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
The biggest portion if you are going to do extensive exhaust work is the sound. You have to meet the USAREUR Registry of Motor Vehicles 95db sound test IF the inspectors deem that your car. Here is the link to the regulation to better help you. Only good thing is that on base, they will not smog check you .

Also shoot a PM to KC Skyrider. He is currently stationed in K-town, on Ramstein AB and can give you more detail in regards to inspections. Also download AE Reg 190-1, that is the USAREUR/NAVEUR/USAFE regulation regarding vehicle inspections and get very aquainted with it and know it from front to back. The inspectors on Pulaski are D*CKS (mix of German and AF people) and will make your life impossible inspecting your car, specially for height since thy are supposed to follow the reg and they also follow portions of the German TUV. One thing to note is on ride height, if your car CANNOT clear 10cm from the lowest hard point of the car, they will fail it.

If you have any questions or need any info let me know. BUT DEFINETLY DOWNLOAD THE REG!!!!!

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/re...90-1/190-1.pdf

Last edited by Elsabor67; 11-29-2010 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: added link for regulation
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

I know when I had my 325i, sold before deployment, I had the UUC catback system. I had no prob passing and the German inspectors actually complimented me on it. But yes the 95db rule applies so "if' it is deemed too loud it won't pass.Also if your vehicle is considered new you can get a 2 year registration vs a 1 year.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
You will need all your emission items installed when having your vehicle inspected on base (actually at Vogelweh). After passing your inspection, you can do whatever you want with your exhaust system. Just note: every time you have your vehicle inspected, you'll have to reinstall the stock system to comply with emission and noise standards.

Congrats on your assignment, what's your AFSC?

I couldn't help but notice your posting this from Denver. Sounds like the TUV is much more strict there. I put a SVT focus through vogelweh inspections with no CAT and a Magnaflow exhaust, that was at 94db. People in this area generally do not remove Catless downpipes for inspection especially because they are a PITA. Also inspectors do not know what the OEM emission items are for all makes and models off hand. So try it with all your exhaust if your failed go home take off the dowpipe back bolt on OEM and try again the next day.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

tires

Another thing to consider is to be able to reg your ride you'll need snow tires time time of year. If your car won't get here until spring though no worries.
Appreciate 0