BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
rudyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe

Pricing a car for sale - local market the best basis?

So, I will be moving on from my 128i sometime probably in Q2 of next year. It's running flawlessly but there are a lot of MY '15 and '16 cars coming out that I'd like to move on and up to.

Obviously there are a lot of resources to determine pricing like KBB, Edmunds, etc., but for a first pass I simply looked for cars similar to mine that are currently listed within 500 miles of my zip code. I only found 5 in total, all at dealers, with a range of ~$18.9k to ~22k. If I were to put it on sale today, is that a good source in terms of a range to shoot for, or maybe not a good data point due to low sample size and dealer vs private party?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
patricksr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

In the past I have used AutoTrader and done just what you have done...see what is on the market and then price mine accordingly based on my mileage and options versus the other cars on the market. Remember also that dealers typically are $2-3K more expensive then buying from Private Seller and Certified Pre-Owned are always going to be more expensive then what you would be able to charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
BradF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E53, '08 E90

@rudyr -

Tell us about your configuration. Sport Package? 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
rudyr
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradF View Post
@rudyr -

Tell us about your configuration. Sport Package? 6MT?
IMO it's a "desirable" configuration for an enthusiast:

38k miles
Black exterior
Red leather interior
N52 engine (not the CA emission one)
Manual trans
No sunroof
Sport package (build sheet calls it M Sport, but I assume it's just the name for the regular sport package)
HIDs
Comfort access
iPod/USB + adapter cable
Has unused OEM floormats + used rubber mats

Interior could be cleaned up "like new condition"

Exterior if I look real hard has 1, maybe 2 small dings at most? Really good shape for the mileage.

Always has been 100% stock, all dealer service included recent front brakes, brand new battery, and relatively new tires.

I'm not sure if there is anything else significant as an option on it, those are what stand out to me.

None of the cars I'm interested in are available today, but I'm trying to at least get a baseline so I can start thinking how the numbers might work out between selling this and buying something new.

In the market for...

NEW: '15 SS (not out yet but Chevy is taking orders), '15 R20 (probably early Q2 next year), '16 TT-S (probably late Q3 next year), '16 GT350 (probably late Q3 next year)

OR USED: Lexus IS-F (this would be the 'I have no choice but to purchase today' option)

Basically cars in the $40-55k range that have just enough of a backseat to handle a forward facing car seat + 400HP or really good balance of power/weight/economy (R20 & TT-S), and can be tracked.

Last edited by rudyr; 10-23-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0