BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #155
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Man, talk about a jacked thread. So any updates regarding the actual topic of this thread?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #156
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Man, talk about a jacked thread. So any updates regarding the actual topic of this thread?
I did get a phone call from someone at BMW NA, but we've just played phone tag. So nothing hot or substantial to report from them.

We have a theory - may have already been discussed on the thread - that the seals melt causing the pistons to move unevenly, which causes the damage to the ceramic tops.

So anybody tracking these cars hard on OEM calipers may want to look into getting direct cooling to the brakes somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #157
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Sorry, will start our own AP Racing brake thread as soon as I get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #158
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Hi Guys, i checked my pads back in Nov. Just didn't have time to post up the pics till now. Mine look fine. I think this is a backin plate issue, not a Brembo caliper/piston/ceramic cup issue.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...d=1#post301357
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #159
imported_Noob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Damn. from a BMW. Sad sad. They dont make em like they use to..

Jeesus christ though. I've beaten hard on imports and this is nothing even close to that. The issues would be brake fade, and rotors, but never the caliper or backing plate. Im taggin just to see.

UTLIMATE DRIVING MACHINE? hope everyones is okay. u guys should test ur car out seriously. drive it hard. break the pads in.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #160
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
I did get a phone call from someone at BMW NA, but we've just played phone tag. So nothing hot or substantial to report from them.

We have a theory - may have already been discussed on the thread - that the seals melt causing the pistons to move unevenly, which causes the damage to the ceramic tops.

So anybody tracking these cars hard on OEM calipers may want to look into getting direct cooling to the brakes somehow.
That's not the cause.
The seals do not melt.
The outer dust boots can get hot, dry out and become brittle, but that has zero to do with the alignment of the piston.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #161
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
That's not the cause.
The seals do not melt.
The outer dust boots can get hot, dry out and become brittle, but that has zero to do with the alignment of the piston.

I have to agree. There's no way the boots are holding the alignment on the pistons.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #162
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

So does this mean that the standard setup is OK and there is no issue with the calipers, and the actual problem resides with the aftermarket brake pads??
      12-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #163
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

EDIT:

IMO, combination of aftermarket pads without the proper backing plate design and multiple impacts on the back of the aftermarket pad which is causing them to crack.

Gary_c has stated below, ceramics are highly heat resistant, but they are also very brittle.

Nobody here has the piston top crumbling issue with OEM pads correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #164
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

It's not a heat related issue at all.

The ceramic material used in the piston insert is developed to withstand temperatures much higher than any brake pad can possibly create. These same type of inserts are used in the Porsche GT3 Cup cars and have never resulted in this type of problem, even after multiple full race seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #165
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I'm glad that now we know that BMW didn't cut any corners with these brakes, and that all 135i owners can comfortably enjoy their cars without having to worry about the brakes . I think these findings should be reflected in the title of the thread and first post , because somebody considering this car might read the first couple of posts and think these brakes are crap....etc
      01-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #166
Bahraini135
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Packaged 135i

Garage List
I have 4000km and just took my car to the dealer, I had the brake light on with a message of "worn brake pads"!

I did use my brakes excessively and had a single track day, but doubt that it results in worn (stock)pads. I told them to check for cracked caliper pistons as I showed them the pics of the cracked ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #167
rushbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini135 View Post
I have 4000km and just took my car to the dealer, I had the brake light on with a message of "worn brake pads"!

I did use my brakes excessively and had a single track day, but doubt that it results in worn (stock)pads. I told them to check for cracked caliper pistons as I showed them the pics of the cracked ones.
Tell me if you notice a different bite to your brakes after they replace the pads. I had my OEM pads replaced and now my brake have a less aggressive bite to them. Wondering if BMW is changing to a less aggressive brake pads to avoid the excessive wear and brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #168
Bahraini135
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Packaged 135i

Garage List
they checked it and pads were fine. Seems the iDrive had a software issue that resolved with a quick reflash.

Brakes are fine, even after my second track day last weekend
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #169
rushbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini135 View Post
they checked it and pads were fine. Seems the iDrive had a software issue that resolved with a quick reflash.

Brakes are fine, even after my second track day last weekend

Ok good to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #170
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushbmw View Post
Tell me if you notice a different bite to your brakes after they replace the pads. I had my OEM pads replaced and now my brake have a less aggressive bite to them. Wondering if BMW is changing to a less aggressive brake pads to avoid the excessive wear and brake dust.
Did you bed in the new pads properly?

Very very few dealers or techs do it when putting in new pads...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #171
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

interesting that you guys are complaining of failed brakes when you go above any beyond the average use... tracking the car is not average use. Imagine bmw engineers designing a specification that is designed around 100% track performance, do you really want to pay 80k for a 1 series? Come on, the bmw engineers as much as they like to would not be allowed by the purchasing guys to design a track ready car. This is a performance street machine for the average yuppie who likes to take corners quickly, stop on a dime occassionaly and perform a few redline shifts everyday. If this issue appears after non-track use then I would be slightly concerned. For now, non issue.

if you want a track car, buy a GT2/3 and be done with it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #172
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

You successfully look like an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
This is a performance street machine for the average yuppie who likes to take corners quickly, stop on a dime occassionaly and perform a few redline shifts everyday. If this issue appears after non-track use then I would be slightly concerned. For now, non issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #173
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunro View Post
You successfully look like an idiot
so you disagree with my statement? you think that bmw had the track driven enthusiast in mind when developing this car? Obviously by the issue identified by the OP...they did not. You clearly sir have no idea how marketing works vs. typical consumer...i highly doubt that BMW had the track driver in mind when releasing this car. if they did, the price would be X2 of the current MSRP. Compare the auto vs. manual tranny sales for bmw... if this was a true enthusiast car, dont you think that the manual trannys would supersede the autos? show me the data that the brakes failed during normal street use...not a bunch of theories or opinions.

of course as always, name calling is 100% appropriate. good job
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #174
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

first - this is the first year of the 1 series, so i don't think BMW is willing to bet all of their chips on a fully spirited track car. From the rumors, and I'll grant they are rumors at this point, it seems BMW has plans to continue to push the 1 series closer and closer to a performance car rather than what it is right now.

second - if you actually payed attention to the sales of the 1 series, the manuals sold out for the 2008 MY in most areas with many many autos left. Again, as BMW continues to develope the 1 series (demand willing) there might be movement toward the performance/track with a larger portion of the cars built with manuals.

I agree there is a business component to the launch of the 1 series, and they wouldn't dare put out a car primarily for the track without a "track record" of sales and demand. That would be a set up for failure. Like Subaru releasing the WRX in NA when there was sufficient evidence that there was an actual tuning/performance market (aka kids with their hondas). BMW is taking a bit more of a conservative approach here and not diving in head first.

as always, earned names usually reflect some truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
so you disagree with my statement? you think that bmw had the track driven enthusiast in mind when developing this car? Obviously by the issue identified by the OP...they did not. You clearly sir have no idea how marketing works vs. typical consumer...i highly doubt that BMW had the track driver in mind when releasing this car. if they did, the price would be X2 of the current MSRP. Compare the auto vs. manual tranny sales for bmw... if this was a true enthusiast car, dont you think that the manual trannys would supersede the autos? show me the data that the brakes failed during normal street use...not a bunch of theories or opinions.

of course as always, name calling is 100% appropriate. good job
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #175
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

I think drexplode has a major fault in his statement, and obviously he does not drive on the track.

There are a lot of cars on the track days. From Toyota Corolla to Ferrari F430, not to mention all the Alfa Romeos.

If you tell me doing 20 or so laps in 5 hot lap lots for 3 times and you have caliper problem???

Come on.

My cheaper Mazda RX-8 had 10 similar track days and worn out 3 pads and a brake disc. Still looks like it is new when I swapped it for AP Racing caliper for more braking power.

Tell me Mazda RX-8 is more "track ready" then a BMW 135i
      01-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #176
Franco
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: TiAg E87 130i M Sport

Can I just confirm that when using the normal BMW brake pads the 135 and BMW performance pistons are fine. It's just that when using racing pads the ceramic inserts crumble.

I have only just purchased 1 second hand 130i and it is my first decent car after driving a 94 corolla (my shittty student car). I have never driven a track day but was planning on maybe doing one or two a year.
I was thinking about upgrading my brakes to the 135/performance brakes. If i use the standard pads on the upgraded brakes on a track one or two times a year, then the ceramic inserts should be fine???
Appreciate 0