BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

"Cornering Lights" in the Adaptive Light Control system

In the manual it states that with the Adaptive Light Control there are "corner illuminating lamps" that come on depending on the steering wheel angle or turn signal indicator; which lights on the 128i are used as the "corner illuminating lamps"? For reference I have a '12 128i w/ xenons
      03-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

The front turn signals come up brighter when you turn the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
The front turn signals come up brighter when you turn the wheel.
So the amber bulbs then? What happens when you turn the wheel without the turn signal on?
For example, on my X3 w/ adaptive lights, when the wheel is turned sharp enough, the fog light on that side turns on
      03-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
The Transporter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
So the amber bulbs then? What happens when you turn the wheel without the turn signal on?
For example, on my X3 w/ adaptive lights, when the wheel is turned sharp enough, the fog light on that side turns on
No. The inboard "headlight" comes on--the one nearest the grille. In other words, the area inside the inboard angel eye lights up on the side to which you are turning. It comes on when you turn the wheel, it also comes on with your turn signal. It will also turn off if you stop at a light with your signal still on. You will notice the latter in the reflection from the car in front of you--this is normal. Both of them come on when you are in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
No. The inboard "headlight" comes on--the one nearest the grille. In other words, the area inside the inboard angel eye lights up on the side to which you are turning. It comes on when you turn the wheel, it also comes on with your turn signal. It will also turn off if you stop at a light with your signal still on. You will notice the latter in the reflection from the car in front of you--this is normal. Both of them come on when you are in reverse.
Thank you for the explanation. Is that inner portion only used for the cornering light (ie, the outer portion is both the low and high beam)? Is that inner cornering light a xenon bulb?
So the fogs only turn on if you have the button activated on the inside and they are not part of the adaptive lighting?
      03-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

There's a bulb in each headlight that illuminates the inside of the inner ring while turning. These bulbs are H3 bulbs and are accessible without taking off the rear headlight cover. On top of the headlight there is a little cover that you slide off. These are plain old non-xenon halogen bulbs, and many people upgrade these bulbs to MTEC "Cosmos Blue" H3 bulbs, which end up looking much whiter and nicer than stock. Any H3 bulb will work, but the MTECs are the most popular from what I remember. These turn on when you have the switch set to "auto" and when you enter a turn, or turn your signal on in that particular direction.

EDIT: Here's a 3 series with the cornering light on. It's an aftermarket GP Thunder bulb, so it looks much whiter/bluer than stock would be..

[img]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/GP%20Thunder/GP-Thunder-Cornering-Light-Bulb-BMW-E92-1.jpg[/img]

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

There's a bulb in each headlight that illuminates the inside of the inner ring while turning. These bulbs are H3 bulbs and are accessible without taking off the rear headlight cover. On top of the headlight there is a little cover that you slide off. These are plain old non-xenon halogen bulbs, and many people upgrade these bulbs to MTEC "Cosmos Blue" H3 bulbs, which end up looking much whiter and nicer than stock. Any H3 bulb will work, but the MTECs are the most popular from what I remember. These turn on when you have the switch set to "auto" and when you enter a turn, or turn your signal on in that particular direction.

EDIT: Here's a 3 series with the cornering light on. It's an aftermarket GP Thunder bulb, so it looks much whiter/bluer than stock would be..

[img]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/GP%20Thunder/GP-Thunder-Cornering-Light-Bulb-BMW-E92-1.jpg[/img]
Thank you for the great info! I'll be changing the H3 bulbs out then, I can't stand the stock dull yellowish halogen bulbs, looks terrible next to the xenons
      03-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 e82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Transporter View Post
Do you have any idea how to change out these bulbs?? The little hatch on the top of the assembly is covered by a plastic piece that appears to be used for the hoods rubber stoppers to hit and this makes it impossible to actually remove the cover! Terrible design. I've read you might actually have to remove the wheel and fender liner to get to it to change which is completely ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Transporter View Post
Do you have any idea how to change out these bulbs?? The little hatch on the top of the assembly is covered by a plastic piece that appears to be used for the hoods rubber stoppers to hit and this makes it impossible to actually remove the cover! Terrible design. I've read you might actually have to remove the wheel and fender liner to get to it to change which is completely ridiculous!
You need to remove the rear cover, there are two metal 'bars' that rotate to the side and the rear of the headlight can be taken off. The passenger side is a pain to get back on. Make sure it's fully sealed when you put it back on

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #10
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

You do not need to remove the rear cover.. you'd be wasting your time. The little plastic covers on top will come out of there, you just have to get it into the perfect position to where you can slide it out.
      03-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

1speedbike

Cool Hood!

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #12
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 e82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict
You do not need to remove the rear cover.. you'd be wasting your time. The little plastic covers on top will come out of there, you just have to get it into the perfect position to where you can slide it out.
I removed the assembly mount screws on the top left and right so the headlight moved freely slightly so I could get the cover off. I played with those little covers forever and no angle I tried worked at all....they most definitely could have made that work better than they did, absolutely no reason for it to be the way it is!!!