BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Buffer Burn - Fixes?

So I recently had my car detailed and the day I picked it up, it looked incredible. Well, after a week of rain I've noticed a patch of fine swirls on the front of the hood. It looks like it was made with a circular buffer, if I had to guess.

Is there an easy way to get rid of this? Or, anyway to get rid of this without painting?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M3

run it through with rubbing compound and go over it with fine polish. good as new.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugennosora View Post
run it through with rubbing compound and go over it with fine polish. good as new.
ummm, no.

Contact Phil at detailersdomain.com and ask him for his recommendations. Rubbing compound will not be one of them, it's too harsh.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep

it really depends on how visible the swirls are. i would use the the rubbing just so it fogs up so i know the finish polish would be done evenly...just like if you we going to sand up chrome, you'll have to sand it with 600 and work your way down.. but again it's preference.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

It sounds like the "detailer" doesn't know how to use a rotary polisher, or was in a hurry.

This is the detailer's fault, which, in my mind, means it is up to the detailer to make it right. But, do you want to take it back to the same person who screwed it up?

I would go Blackjack's route with this. Sanding is possibly an option, but just like rotaries, not for everyone.

You may want to let it be known to friends and others about the quality of this detailer's work.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm not really sure what to do. The detail was actually done for free because I recently had some body work done and they didn't get a chance to do a full detail when I picked up the car. I guess I should've passed on it afterall

Anyway, I've been thinking about taking it to another detailer and see if they can resolve the problem, but if there's a way I can fix it myself, I'm all ears.

I don't have a buffer or any professional detailing equipment, but I'm open to any type of polishing methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
It sounds like the "detailer" doesn't know how to use a rotary polisher, or was in a hurry.

This is the detailer's fault, which, in my mind, means it is up to the detailer to make it right. But, do you want to take it back to the same person who screwed it up?

I would go Blackjack's route with this. Sanding is possibly an option, but just like rotaries, not for everyone.

You may want to let it be known to friends and others about the quality of this detailer's work.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep

if it's just polish, all you need is a eletric drill, replace the head with a buffing head, and run the polish in S direction (left to right down right to left down and repeat) from top to bottom on the place with swirl, if you don't want to use the rubbing compound that is. and it should fix the swirl.

here is a vid just to give you a idea on how easy it is to do.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
if it's just polish, all you need is a eletric drill, replace the head with a buffing head, and run the polish in S direction (left to right down right to left down and repeat) from top to bottom on the place with swirl, if you don't want to use the rubbing compound that is. and it should fix the swirl.

here is a vid just to give you a idea on how easy it is to do.

Sorry if I'm sounding confrontational here.......but I don't want this guy to ruin his paint. In fact, the buffer burn was probably caused by a similar tool used by a novice.

If you are a novice car detailer (and it sounds like the OP is), do NOT use a drill with a buffer on it. You could burn through your paint in seconds with that!

The video posted is an excellent "how-to" of polishing. However, you'll notice that he's using a Porter Cable Random Orbital, and if you look closely at the pad you'll notice that it's barely completing one revolution for each piece that's being polished. A random orbital buffer ensures that no heat is built up while polishing. I would also recommend both of the polishes that are used in the video, the first one is more intensive then the second one "jewels" the paint.

Only experienced detailers should use a "direct drive" buffer/polisher.....I certainly don't!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

I have a Porter Cable, too. I've thought about getting a rotary (more polishing bite, works faster), but there is a learning curve. I wouldn't try one on my car, or a friend's, until I had plenty of practice on a body panel from a junkyard, or maybe my son's crapped-out ride.

People who don't really don't know how to use a rotary polisher can quickly mess up a car's finish, like the monkeys who polished my friends new Cayman S at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a Porter Cable, too. I've thought about getting a rotary (more polishing bite, works faster), but there is a learning curve. I wouldn't try one on my car, or a friend's, until I had plenty of practice on a body panel from a junkyard, or maybe my son's crapped-out ride.

People who don't really don't know how to use a rotary polisher can quickly mess up a car's finish, like the monkeys who polished my friends new Cayman S at the dealer.
You may want to try a Flex......that's supposedly a step up from the PC, and it corrects better. That's probably my next step.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep

....oh well...i guess i don't want to be responsible for that....please disreguard my suggestions..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
....oh well...i guess i don't want to be responsible for that....please disreguard my suggestions..
That's what forums are for, to share info and learn...no worries!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

Blackjack - I am very interested in getting a Flex, and was about to get one.

However, Uncle Sam wants a couple hundred more dollars of income tax, in addition to the $11,000 he already got, so it will have to wait a little bit.

I do hear that the Flex does have more polishing "oomph" than a PC, without the learning curve of a rotary.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

BTW, Blackjack, where are you gonna get your Flex?

I just realized that my birthday comes up in six weeks, and I have a very nice girlfriend who is receptive to my detailing tendencies.

Boy, that Flex would work well on the swirls on her SUV that ignore my PC, if you know what I mean ; )
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of the advice. I really do appreciate the tips. I guess I'm glad to read that there are some easy solutions to the buffer burn, short of having to repaint.

Maybe the best solution is for me to take it to a better detailer. I was hoping there was something cheaper I could invest in, that I could just use a little elbow grease to solve the problem.

BTW: What's a Flex?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

The Flex 3401 is a random-orbital polisher, as is a Porter Cable.

Since the Flex is a random-orbital polisher, it does its polishing in random orbits, a lot like we would do by hand, if our arms could hold up that long.

For light and maybe medium paint correction, a Porter Cable would work, depending on the pads and polishes used. Sometimes, on badly-marred finishes, a PC is not enough.

A rotary polisher rotates in a fixed rotation. It polishes faster for that reason, and one can get out more paint defects more quickly with one, but one absolutely must know how to use it in order not to leave swirl marks of its own.

The work of someone who knows how to use a rotary with quality pads and polishes is something to behold. However, some professional detailers, as well as some of those at dealerships, need to work quickly, whether they know how to use a rotary or not. Therefore, marring results, sometimes hidden with a wax or sealant that will fade after a few washes.

I have a PC, and was wondering about a rotary. I am leaning towards a Flex, because random-orbital polishers are pretty foolproof, unless you are toatlly incompetent. Random-orbitals are user-friendly, and about the only complaint I hear about the Flex, other than the price, is the need to get into nooks and crannies.

Polishing pads, and backing plates, can be had in four-inch diameters. I can get into the tight spots of my friend's Cayman with that, so I am not concerned.

You can get a PC fairly cheaply, and if you only work on your own car, and don't do anytning to really add marring, it will work.

If you will need more paint correction, a Flex will work better, but cost more.

If you have to go past that level for paint correction, then it is rotary time, though you will have to learn how to use one.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
You may want to try a Flex......that's supposedly a step up from the PC, and it corrects better. That's probably my next step.
Flex and Porter Cable are both owned by Black & Decker.
      02-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

m thompson - I never knew that! You learn something every day......
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BTW, Blackjack, where are you gonna get your Flex?

I just realized that my birthday comes up in six weeks, and I have a very nice girlfriend who is receptive to my detailing tendencies.

Boy, that Flex would work well on the swirls on her SUV that ignore my PC, if you know what I mean ; )
Probably I will get it from detailersdomain.com

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

LMK how we can assist.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

The Flex is the best purchase I ever made. I had a PC, but the Flex will destroy it! I'm a novice detailer and would never attempt to use a rotary. The flex has a lot more power than a PC (porter cable).

The next key I think is the product and pad selection. I'm a Menzerna fan and probably will never try anything else. I think even with a PC and Menzerna polish you can get good results, but will require more passes than the Flex.

Get the Flex, its well worth the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #22
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
The Flex is the best purchase I ever made. I had a PC, but the Flex will destroy it! I'm a novice detailer and would never attempt to use a rotary. The flex has a lot more power than a PC (porter cable).

The next key I think is the product and pad selection. I'm a Menzerna fan and probably will never try anything else. I think even with a PC and Menzerna polish you can get good results, but will require more passes than the Flex.

Get the Flex, its well worth the purchase.
Wow music to my ears John, as I just dropped a pretty penny with dd yesterday, including a......drum roll........FLEX!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0