E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Comparing Zaino, Klasse, and Menzerna

01-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Comparing Zaino, Klasse, and Menzerna

Being a car fanatic, I want my new Black Sapphire E90 to be in pristine condition from day 1. I figure many others on these forums will want to keep their car in such condition, so I'll share my research.

My current car, a 2000 Steel Gray E46 has been treated well with the full line of Griot's Garage products. GG's claybar + polish + best of show wax, applied with a Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Buffer provided outstanding results; however, I want a longer lasting, more protective coat for my E90. The new car is also black, so I want to take advantage of the brilliant depth a clean black car will give.

After extensive research, I narrowed my paint care choices down to three synthetic products: Zaino, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, and Menzerna FMJ. All three products involve multiple steps, and multiple layers to achieve the best protection, and highest gloss possible.

Take note that the reviews on each product below all assume that proper paint prep (wash, claybar, paint cleaning, etc) has been done prior to applying these products. I'll further expand on this in a bit, but for now here are the three products I considered:

----- Zaino -----
My first inclination was to jump at Zaino after seeing the kind of shimmer it produces, and the dust repellant properties the final finish employs. The traditional Zaino shine is typically not achieved through one application; instead, it is the many layers which produce a deep shine. Application seems straightforward, and quite easy. Apply a thin coat of Z-2 (mixed with a few drops of ZFX) and buff off. Prior to a second coat Zaino recommends waiting 24 hours if the temperature is below 70 degrees, or 6 hours if the temp is above 70. Once the first coat has "cured", spray & buff the car down with Z-6 gloss enhancer, and apply Z-2 again.

While the Zaino shine is legendary, it appears too mirror-like for my tastes. I also didn't care for the whole notion of wait this long if above 70, or that long if below 70.

----- Klasse AIO + HGSG -----
Like Zaino, Klasse has it's loyal followers. In this case, the HGSG (High Gloss Sealant Glaze) is coupled with the AIO (All In One) to achieve a final result. The AIO goes on and off very easily and is all some people will ever use. AIO has a very light cleaning agent which will remove light oxidation and imperfections, and leaves an acrylic finish. Most fanatics will follow AIO with HGSG, which will produce a similar result to Zaino. The drawback here is application/removal of the product. Klasse recommends applying HGSG and letting it sit for 12 hours before buffing off. Like Zaino, it achieves best shine and protection with multiple layers applied.

While many Klasse users will apply several coats of HGSG throughout an entire weekend (allowing the 12-hour cure time), it's certainly not something I want to do.

----- Menzerna FMJ -----
Menzerna is also a two step system, ending with a synthetic protective coat. The difference here is that Menzerna Full Mollecular Jacket (FMJ) more closely resembles the finish one would achieve with carnuba, but gives the protection of a synthetic.

The first step in the Menzerna "system" involves applying FTG (Finishing Touch Glaze), which is simply a polish that does not contain any cleaning agents. Once FTG has been applied and removed, follow with a first coat of FMJ. Like the previous two products, FMJ can be "layered" for enhanced gloss, and more protection. There is no wait time between layerings either.

My Choice
If you haven't guessed, I went with the Menzerna specifically because I will be applying to a black car. If I were applying to a light colored car (white/silver) I'd certainly go for the Zaino. Klasse seems like a great product, but the notion of my car sitting in the garage with a haze of wax on it UNABLE TO BE DRIVEN all weekend is not for me.

Upon Delivery, I'll be following these steps to achieve German Perfection.

Last edited by eleven24; 01-19-2006 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Have you tested for durability/is durability important in your situation?

I've tested all three as well, and while I like FMJ (easy on/off, nice look, good slickness), the look, slickness and overall durability lasted 6 weeks for me. Not exactly stellar compared to klasse and Zaino. This is something for others to keep in mind when considering which one to get.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Did you get 6 weeks with one layer of FMJ? And was this during winter (noticed you are in TO)?

Personally, I'm fine with 6 weeks as I actually like giving my car a complete detail every month or so. To me, Zaino & Klasse are beneficial to those who really only want to detail their car twice a year. Still, I expect - or hope - to get longer than 6 weeks considering I'll be applying multiple layers & maintaining with the Menzerna HG Spray.
      01-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

I got 6 weeks during the spring. I was pretty disapointed.

I'm at the point where I only want to do a complete detail 1 to 2 times a year and just wash in between. The nice thing about zaino is that a z7 wash and z6 qd will leave my car looking like I just detailed it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh yes, it was one layer of FMJ (forgot to mention that).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Phat Ham
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
Prior to a second coat Zaino recommends waiting 24 hours if the temperature is below 70 degrees, or 6 hours if the temp is above 70. Once the first coat has "cured", spray & buff the car down with Z-6 gloss enhancer, and apply Z-2 again.
This is incorrect. If you use ZFX with Z-2 or Z-5 there is no wait time between coats. You can do 3 coats in a day (Zaino recommends not doing more than 3 in one day).

I've had good results using Zaino on top of Klasse AIO.
      02-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i didn't let the Klasse sealant glaze sit for 12 hours and mine turned out great. i did the AIO one panel at a time (wipe on, buff off), and then put the on the SG, starting at the trunk and working my around. By the time i got all the way around, the SG was easily removed. all in all it probably cured for 30 minutes, and my car shines and beads water like crazy
      02-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
BMerDRMer
BMerDRMer 2006 330 Xi Man ZPP ZSP CW NAV CA TiAg BlkLthr Burl 18in 162's
Rep
Drives: 06 330Xi Prem Sprt Win Nav CA

Help ..... What do you recommend for TiAg with little time??

I have a new silver 330. I am looking for a quick spray on, wipe off system ........ which I am willing to use frequently, but need to complete the process in 1/2 an hour. Can I achieve that famed "liquid look" everyone talks about??
      02-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerDRMer
I have a new silver 330. I am looking for a quick spray on, wipe off system ........ which I am willing to use frequently, but need to complete the process in 1/2 an hour. Can I achieve that famed "liquid look" everyone talks about??
You only get out if something what you put in. Put in half an hour, and you're gonna get a 'half an hour' shine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you spend an eternity on your car, but as an alternate option can do one big yearly detail with Zaino and then maintain it with their Z8 spray wax as you describe above.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
BMerDRMer
Rep

I am sure you are right David ...... I am sure I would be willing to invest a weekend once a year ........ particularly if Zaino has a "quick spray" which I can use to buff it up regularly.

What would you recommend as the initial "kit" to order? Do you use, or could you recommend a power buffer for application?
      02-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
BMerDRMer
Rep

David ....... any issue with using z2 standalone ........ prior to full detail in spring?
      02-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #12
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am sure you are right David ...... I am sure I would be willing to invest a weekend once a year ........ particularly if Zaino has a "quick spray" which I can use to buff it up regularly.

What would you recommend as the initial "kit" to order? Do you use, or could you recommend a power buffer for application?
Applying and removing Zaino are very easy to do by hand. So for Zaino I would say that no power buffer is necessary. The only time you would need a buffer is if you had scratches you wanted to remove.

As for which Zaino products to order. At the very least you would need Z2 Pro (Sealant) and ZFX (Sealant additive) as well as Z8 (spray wax). You could also order their quick detail spray (Z6), car wash (Z7), and their Clay bar, which are all excellent products but are not mandatory to buy from Zaino. You can find comparable quality washes, QD's and clay bars sold locally at pep boys, etc.

Zaino does sell kits on their website. I believe these contain more products you may not be interested in. Try comparing the price of the kits versus the individual products as I have described above and see which fits your needs and budget best.

As for application and removal of Zaino, the Zaino website has detailed instructions as do I in my Detailing 101 article stickied above.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #13
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
David ....... any issue with using z2 standalone ........ prior to full detail in spring?
If you use Z2 standalone then you will not realize the full durability of the product. Z2 should be used with ZFX. But provided you understand the pitfalls of using it standalone and are not bothered by it, then there is nothing to stop you from using it as-is.
Appreciate 0