BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #45
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

There is another aspect nobody described about the 1 series : it feels like a sport car. The cockpit has everything around you, it feels tight, the windshield is pretty vertical by today standards, the steering wheel is vertical, as it should be. The GTI in comparison feels too much like a "normal" car
      10-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #46
jpf5064
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I came from an mk7 GTI myself and throughly love the 135i and am very happy with my decision. The power difference is incredible and rear wheel drive is definitely better than front from a performance perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

The 128i with manual is fantastic...don't even bother with the auto unless you need it for a utilitarian reason (bad knee, ect). I have a 2012 128i black on black light on options (has heated seat, bluetooth ect) manual...its light, nimble and VERY Quick! It also cost me around $29,000 brand new! I find the handling good without sports setup, still blew away the handling of my friends G37S I drove the other day. I am thinking about a sports PE exhaust to raise the engine note a bit but otherwise car is perfect, FAST, fun as 5hit to drive and under $30,000!

I stopped by the dealer this week. The service manager took my car for a car wash. when he got back he asked, is that a 128 or 135? i was thinking (wtf?) but remembered my car is debadged for a cleaner look (he should still be able to tell from the bumpers)....anyway, when I told him it was a 128 he looked shocked!

Manual 128 + manual = VERY quick fun to drive BMW

Last edited by the1andonly; 10-07-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #48
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

We are all saying the same thing. I came from a mkiv r32 to a 2009 128i and never looked back. The car is amazing. Balanced in every way: handling, power, comfort, sport, fun, modest practicality.. You get a lot for your money. It really is a great car. Have had no major problems in my almost 4 years and the NA engine is awesome to rev up. I couldn't be happier. The driving dynamics are completely different and much more enjoyable.

Definitely test drive a stick with sport package to get the full experience, and don't be shy with the gas. The real fun begins after 3.5k RPMs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #49
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Had a 2011 gti wih the autobahn package, traded for a 335i but also drove the 135.

Either one, you'll love it - much faster, and rwd handles better. I was tired of fwd tire spin and poor build quality. (I had rattles, water leaking in, wind noise, high oil usage) all on a brand new gti! I wasn't alone either, check the mk6 forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #50
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Double post!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #51
dtraill27
Rep
Drives: 2011 WRX

You're in almost the exact situation I am in. I have a 2010 gti 6spd and am looking for a 128i 6spd with m sport pack. You're in an easier spot with your gti with it being a lease, I own mine so I'm going to have to private sell mine which is going to be the biggest challenge for me. Almost same fuel economy as the gti and lower insurance cost is what sold me on the 128i
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #52
tlee55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Prior to my 135i I owned a 2010 gti. I do a lot of autocross and track time with my cars and I'm sad to say I miss my gti after switching. I had VERY few mods on my gti. (Suspension technique coilovers, and apr stage 2, h and r roll bar). After bringing my 135i to several track days I can honestly say I'm disappointed with the balance of the 135i. For a rwd cars it under steers like crazy. The gti felt much more balanced and after the roll bar install was easy to get life off oversteer. The 1 is a faster everyday driver to be sure but on the track I'm just not sold thats its faster(unless u make significant changes to ur chassis(and I've tried...ast coilovers vorshlag camber plates etc.))
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #53
DNheartsBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is, X3, X1

I am selling my 2011 135i for about the price of a 128i. It is a manual, LeMans Blue convertible with "M" package, HK stereo, bluetooth. etc., 12,000 miles. The buyout is about 38,000, or assume the lease at $605/month (could be less in your state as PA taxes are in the lease). HMU if interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #54
elbles
Rep
Drives: Volkswagen GTI (MK6)

tlee55, it's funny you say that. In driving a few 1-series, I've found them to feel better balanced, but lacking compared to the GTI in other ways. I think the 1-series (both the 128 and 135) are a step up from the GTI in power (especially the 135, of course) and balance at less than 7 or 8 tenths (just how it feels going around a corner).

They're great cars, but based on my test drives, there's no way I'd take a 128 without the sports package over my GTI. I'm waiting to see if a dealer near me gets a 128 with the sports package to take a test drive, but if that doesn't happen, I think I'll be taking a step back from the GTI's interior to get in something more sporty (probably a BRZ Limited... I obviously don't care a bit about straight line speed).

dtraill27, I obviously don't own a 128, but I'd be surprised if it were to beat the GTI on fuel economy. I've done ~48,000 miles in 2.5 years (~80 miles/day), and have averaged 27.3 MPG (not highway, mostly 45 MPH backroads, and I probably still drive like a 16-year-old, hah). I personally wouldn't care if it were a little lower, but I wouldn't expect a 3.0 liter inline 6 to go up in mileage.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #55
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbles View Post
dtraill27, I obviously don't own a 128, but I'd be surprised if it were to beat the GTI on fuel economy. I've done ~48,000 miles in 2.5 years (~80 miles/day), and have averaged 27.3 MPG (not highway, mostly 45 MPH backroads, and I probably still drive like a 16-year-old, hah). I personally wouldn't care if it were a little lower, but I wouldn't expect a 3.0 liter inline 6 to go up in mileage.
You are right, I average 24mpg with my 128i manual, my boss, who has the same commute, averages 27-28mpg with his Audi A3 2.0T (manual too). He says he has a pretty constant mileage with it regardless the driving style while I can definitely see a huge difference based on my driving style, traffic and type of road. The 128i is not a winner if mileage is your main concern, it is not bad but it is not impressive either. I think the 135i is pretty similar to the 128i as far as mileage is concerned.
      10-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #56
dtraill27
Rep
Drives: 2011 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbles View Post
I'm low 20s around time high 20s on the highway so it's close enough for me. I don't mind the mileage either cause the other car I'm kicking around is the WRX and that doesn't get great mileage either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
You are right, I average 24mpg with my 128i manual, my boss, who has the same commute, averages 27-28mpg with his Audi A3 2.0T (manual too). He says he has a pretty constant mileage with it regardless the driving style while I can definitely see a huge difference based on my driving style, traffic and type of road. The 128i is not a winner if mileage is your main concern, it is not bad but it is not impressive either. I think the 135i is pretty similar to the 128i as far as mileage is concerned.
I'd be plenty happy with 24 as my GTI average is 26 I think. Plus the mileage drops off in the winter for some reason in my GTI more than any of my other previous cars
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #57
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Hi Elbles,

My dad and I just went through the same process you're going through. He just bought a 2013 128i M-Sport (with me along for the ride). He got the Drive for Team USA credit and put it towards the car. You also might be able to get a credit through the "BMW Ultimate Test Drive" ap. We spent two to three months driving cars and finally ordered a 1-Series.

I think the 128i is an excellent choice. There's a lot of 135 love around here, but I'm with you -- I don't need a car that's "too fast," and stuck with natural aspiration for that reason. Although I last drove a MKVI GTI some time ago, I think these BMW's feel more "substantial" through a turn than a GTI does, that's the best that I can describe it.

I would encourage you not to toss out the 128 just yet. I know it's hard to find one in Sport Package to drive, but I hope that you can find one, new or used, within 100 miles to try. Even if you can't find one in Sport, I think you could get an idea for what it's like by driving a Sport RWD 328 coupe. You'll get a feel for the suspension and the seats, at least. You could then mentally combine that with the power curve and driving experience you felt in the base 128.

My dad just took delivery of his 128i, we've been driving it at length. I have to say how great I think it is. The 128i really shines on a twisty back road, as you're powering through a corner at 3500 rpms and more. It's refined, has comfortable, great seats and a great driving position. It's not fast, but it's really, really satisfying to drive. If I had to critique the car, I would say 1) that I agree with your point about the steering, but I really don't mind it and I think you'll get used to it, I already have; 2) and that I wish the exhaust were a bit louder...I'm on him to get the Performance Exhaust.

Good luck with your search. We also drove a BRZ and an FR-S. We felt that both the interior and the power on those cars were let-downs compared to the 128. He felt the seats and the driving position were far superior in the BMW. They handled well, but that's about it. I'd get the 128i.

-a.

PS - My dad's car has the base stereo, and it sounds pretty good to my ears. It's surprisingly close to the Logic 7 in my 330, but has a bit less clarity. Please note that you need to get BMW Assist (+$650) in order to get HK radio.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #58
Jack.S
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i vert

Nice thing about GTI's is that they hold their value. When I traded mine for 2010 135i vert, dealer gave me 18.500$. I bought it new in 2010 for $23K and had it for 2.5 years/27K miles.
Great DD car. I would have probably kept it if I had space for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #59
elbles
Rep
Drives: Volkswagen GTI (MK6)

Thanks for the reply alexb. I haven't shut the door on the 128i yet, and while I think the sports package would probably remedy my issues with the seats (the base seats are just... not very good... the seats in my GTI are 10 times better), the steering was a big surprise. I love the weight, and I love the balance of the chassis, but it just doesn't feel as "tight" as the GTI. That's a big deal to me, since I basically want something sportier/tighter than the GTI. I just really need to get seat time in a 128i or 135i with the sports package, really.

The BRZ is definitely a step down inside, and in power. But it feels like a proper sports car. I felt the seating position was better than in the BMW, and in handling, there really wasn't any comparison. I wish I could mix the two cars together to make a bastard of a vehicle, but that's not an option, apparently. :-)

And yeah, the GTI has held its value well. Probably better than the residual on my lease, which opens up some doors, but I'll probably be lazy and just turn it in, ha.
Appreciate 0