BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #23
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Or if one enjoys how they feel as one drives the car.

Lucky enough to have other vehicles and keep A/S on both, but will keep summer (nonRF) on 135i.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43811.00
      02-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #24
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

blue135: Being in Florida your climate is much milder than here, so summer tires are great all year where you are. We take trips and I have experienced summer tires in cold areas before and won't do it again.

The AS Potenzas are really good, not much difference in handling than Summer tires unless you really push it or track. And the ride is a bit more comfortable as well.

Last edited by doane2u; 02-06-2019 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
After buying my 135i M Sport last month and looking into replacement tires for the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Summer RFT tires which require different sizes front to back, I was appalled at the cost.. about $1600 for the full set and looking at the CarFax report on this 40k mile car they were replaced twice already. I ended up going with a set of Potenza All Season RE980 for less than $700 and they are great. Also had this same tire on my 2009 Z4 for many years after replacing the RF tires on it and was very happy with them. On my 135i after changing the tires and inflating them to the door pressure, you go into the settings and reset the pressure in two places for the monitor system, very easy. Yes, Summer tires have more bite/grip, but are very soft and wear out fast and are not worth it unless spending money isn't important to you, or you track the car.
Love the way my Michelins feel. I tend to push my car and appreciate how grippy the PS4S tires are. Spent the last several days driving in the rain here in SoCal and these tires didn't miss a beat. Still lots of grip.

Don't mind spending a little more for max performance summer tires. They're worth it to me. Will do it again when these wear out. And don't really care that they'll wear out a little sooner than a normal tire. The price paid for greatness. lol
      02-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #26
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, Summer tires do have more grip, but you only get a few tenths more in cornering G-force and small differences in stopping distance, slalom and lap times which are really only important if you are into racing.

To me, the huge difference in tire wear isn't worth it and the huge difference in RFT costs and comfort just isn't worth it, especially for the Bridgestones that the dealer insists I should get. And the danger of Summer tires in weather when it gets down to 40 degrees and below also isn't worth it to me.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinions and justifications, I understand that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #27
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, Summer tires do have more grip, but you only get a few tenths more in cornering G-force and small differences in stopping distance, slalom and lap times which are really only important if you are into racing.

To me, the huge difference in tire wear isn't worth it and the huge difference in RFT costs and comfort just isn't worth it, especially for the Bridgestones that the dealer insists I should get. And the danger of Summer tires in weather when it gets down to 40 degrees and below also isn't worth it to me.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinions and justifications, I understand that.
Well, at least we agree on getting rid of the runflats. Muy importante!
      02-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #28
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Absolutely.. I hated them on my Z4, my 135i M Sport and on a Mazda 3 sGT I had a few years ago. Each time I went to regular tires, Summer or A/S the ride was less jarring and it was less jarring to my pocket book
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely.. I hated them on my Z4, my 135i M Sport and on a Mazda 3 sGT I had a few years ago. Each time I went to regular tires, Summer or A/S the ride was less jarring and it was less jarring to my pocket book
Yeah, runflats are the worst, and the most expensive... definitely not worth it.
      02-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #30
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Replaced Run Flats

Anyway, everyone has their own opinions and justifications, I understand that.[/QUOTE]

And that is the most important.

Ran summer tires on Audi A4 in Michigan. Only did it one day when temps under 40 and snowing. Learned pretty quickly. But FL is much different.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #31
PA135ii
seeking salvation
Rep
Drives: 18 Camaro SS 08 CR-V

Switched to these 2 years ago. I do have a winter vehicle now but wanted to be able to drive the 1er in the winter also. Found these to be a good compromise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Just get two sets of tires if you can. I did this right after buying the 135i. I bought a set of scraped up 264 wheels from a forum member here who happened to be local. Paid $150 for all 4 wheels. I then slapped on a set of Blizzak WS80 tires on them. Had to pay for the TPMS sensors and the center caps as I couldn't stand seeing a hole in the middle of the wheels.

When there is a change in seasons, I just swap out the wheel packages. My factory delivered 261 wheels have Pilot 4S tires on them. As Esteban has found out, these tires are freaking awesome. Better than the Pilot Super Sports they replaced which I had also ran on my car. While I'm not doing track type driving on the street, the 4S tires will provide immense benefits in the rain. They're so much better than any tire I've ever used in the wet. This past summer when we had torrential rains in the DC area, I was blowing by SUVs and trucks in my car with these tires without even raising my heart rate/blood pressure.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43811.00
      02-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just get two sets of tires if you can. I did this right after buying the 135i. I bought a set of scraped up 264 wheels from a forum member here who happened to be local. Paid $150 for all 4 wheels. I then slapped on a set of Blizzak WS80 tires on them. Had to pay for the TPMS sensors and the center caps as I couldn't stand seeing a hole in the middle of the wheels.

When there is a change in seasons, I just swap out the wheel packages. My factory delivered 261 wheels have Pilot 4S tires on them. As Esteban has found out, these tires are freaking awesome. Better than the Pilot Super Sports they replaced which I had also ran on my car. While I'm not doing track type driving on the street, the 4S tires will provide immense benefits in the rain. They're so much better than any tire I've ever used in the wet. This past summer when we had torrential rains in the DC area, I was blowing by SUVs and trucks in my car with these tires without even raising my heart rate/blood pressure.
You mean the PS4S, correct?

Yes, great tires. Better than the PSS, which were already awesome tires.
      02-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
You mean the PS4S, correct?

Yes, great tires. Better than the PSS, which were already awesome tires.
Yes. Was just lazy in my typing.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43811.00
      02-09-2019, 05:18 AM   #35
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I had the run flats originally, hated them. I got the Michelin PSS, which were better in terms of feel but the cost vs. longevity was not great (partially due to a bad alignment).

This year I got the Firestone Firehawk Indy500. They were 1/2 the cost of the MPSS and so far just as good if not better. The Florida summer has lots of rain & they handled great. No freezing temps here. If I lived where it snowed I'd have an all wheel drive car.
      02-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #36
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135ii View Post
Switched to these 2 years ago. I do have a winter vehicle now but wanted to be able to drive the 1er in the winter also. Found these to be a good compromise.
Yeah, I’m running those, too. They’re the right compromise here in Oregon, although I’m still planning on summer tires for the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #37
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I had the run flats originally, hated them. I got the Michelin PSS, which were better in terms of feel but the cost vs. longevity was not great (partially due to a bad alignment).

This year I got the Firestone Firehawk Indy500. They were 1/2 the cost of the MPSS and so far just as good if not better. The Florida summer has lots of rain & they handled great. No freezing temps here. If I lived where it snowed I'd have an all wheel drive car.
Have heard good things about the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s but personally don't know what they feel like since I've never ridden on them. Do know that TireRack categorizes them as Ultra High Performance Summer Tires, and that the Michelin PS4S (replaces the PSS) are a step up; Max Performance Summer Tires.

Here's what TireRack says about Max Performance Summer Tires: "You want an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet street traction and handling and only the finest will do."
      02-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #38
tmfstyle
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is #499

Replaced my oe summer runflats at 12k miles with Pilot Sports A/S 3+ 3 months ago. Remarkable improvement in ride and traction in every day driving. Not an expert - don't know for sure if handling at limit is reduced. Seat of pants says dramatically better tires overall. Live in Fl., so didn't need A/S. From my perspective these tires are much better than summer oe's in heavy rains.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #39
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Have heard good things about the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s but personally don't know what they feel like since I've never ridden on them. Do know that TireRack categorizes them as Ultra High Performance Summer Tires, and that the Michelin PS4S (replaces the PSS) are a step up; Max Performance Summer Tires.

Here's what TireRack says about Max Performance Summer Tires: "You want an unsurpassed blend of dry and wet street traction and handling and only the finest will do."
I guess I'm more of an ultra performance driver.

Who is this Max Performance guy anyway?
Attached Images

02-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I'm more of an ultra performance driver.

Who is this Max Performance guy anyway?
      02-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #41
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfstyle View Post
Replaced my oe summer runflats at 12k miles with Pilot Sports A/S 3+ 3 months ago. Remarkable improvement in ride and traction in every day driving. Not an expert - don't know for sure if handling at limit is reduced. Seat of pants says dramatically better tires overall. Live in Fl., so didn't need A/S. From my perspective these tires are much better than summer oe's in heavy rains.
Yeah, Michelin has been killing it with new compounds. When the A/S 3+ came out a couple of years ago, I remember someone from Michelin said that you basically won’t get a grip advantage on the streetwith Pilot Super Sports vs. the new A/S 3+. In non-track situations, you’re really only giving up some sidewall stiffness to the Pilot Super Sports, but you’re gaining longevity, comfort, snow traction and under 40 degree performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #42
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfstyle View Post
Yeah, Michelin has been killing it with new compounds. When the A/S 3+ came out a couple of years ago, I remember someone from Michelin said that you basically won't get a grip advantage on the streetwith Pilot Super Sports vs. the new A/S 3+. In non-track situations, you're really only giving up some sidewall stiffness to the Pilot Super Sports, but you're gaining longevity, comfort, snow traction and under 40 degree performance.
Nice to not worry about any of that here in SoCal.

Summer tires all year long!

And no, it's not "debatable."
      02-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #43
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice to not worry about any of that here in SoCal.

Summer tires all year long!

And no, it's not "debatable."
Yeah, I always ran summer tires when I lived in LA. Only issue was if I wanted to take a road trip to colder places.

A/S 3+ tires do debatably sound better than PS4S, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Yeah, I always ran summer tires when I lived in LA. Only issue was if I wanted to take a road trip to colder places.

A/S 3+ tires do debatably sound better than PS4S, though.
I hear nothing but the beautiful sound of my PE.

Oh yeah, that's what you like to debate about.

PS - I'll take my PS4S over 'no seasons' any day. lol