BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

Damaged Bumper Cover

While at a track day I cut the corner to tight and it was like hitting a massive pot hole. I was worried I might blow a tire, but the wheel and tire were fine. Unfortunately my bumper cover was damaged, somehow popped out. I haven't taken it apart yet, but from a close up inspection the two screws that seem to hold the edge of the bumper in place ripped out from the bumper cover. This is the only pic I have for now, till I take the bumper cover off. I was hoping for a simple fix, but it looks like I may need a completely new bumper cover since the holding screws completely ripped out. Any thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
If your lucky the bolts snapped and saved the bumper.

If your not the bolts snapped and broke the tabs off the bumper. You can probably save it by plastic welding/ fixing the tabs. I would try this first considering it's a lot cheaper than a new bumper and paint.

http://3mcollision.com/products/plas...plastic-repair

08-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

So I took the bumper cover off and the tab was broken. Not a big deal, fixed the tab as described above. Then I noticed my headlight bracket was broken, in fact both of them. They were completely shattered on the end closest to the wheels. So I ordered some new ones. Installed them, got the bumper remounted, all seemed fine. Well now I have a lot of rubbing on the passenger side on every bump. Before I only had a bit of rubbing on bigger bumps or when turning right on a steep incline. Btw I'm running 235/40/18 on Apex ARC 8s. The car is also lowered with Swift Springs.

On closer inspection the front bumper on the passenger side is only a about a quarter inch from the tire. On the driver side I have a bit more clearance I would say a half inch, no rubbing anytime. I'm a bit confused as to why I'm rubbing so much more now. Maybe the brackets forced an alignment of the bumper whereas before the broken brackets forced a different alignment and had more clearance. I never did pay attention to the amount of clearance before though. I've dismounted the bumper and checked several times. There is no way I can changed the alignment of the bumper. Two options, take it to a body shop, see if they can figure it out. Or go to 225/40/18 up front. Should give the clearance I need since they are narrower and shorter and I only need a bit more clearance.
Appreciate 0