RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
ESS Tune

I have had this tune for a short while now and honestly I am not happy with it at all. I find the power to be very peaky and not linear. I also find that there is really little, almost no power gain. The car just feels "blah".

Just curious what experience everyone has. I am really looking to get rid of it and move to another tune should I find that the issue is with the tune.

Please share your experience. Considering going to Evolve or GIAC at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
I have had this tune for a short while now and honestly I am not happy with it at all. I find the power to be very peaky and not linear. I also find that there is really little, almost no power gain. The car just feels "blah".

Just curious what experience everyone has. I am really looking to get rid of it and move to another tune should I find that the issue is with the tune.

Please share your experience. Considering going to Evolve or GIAC at this point.
Did you put it on the Dyno before and after the tune? Im having issues with my COBB tune and the Dyno charts back up my complaints...

Im thinking of GIAC also.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
Did you put it on the Dyno before and after the tune? Im having issues with my COBB tune and the Dyno charts back up my complaints...

Im thinking of GIAC also.
I was doing some researching for the GIAC tune but I didn't figure out if you're able to purchase the flash unit or do you have to take it into the GIAC dealer to apply the tune and also remove it if you go to the dealer for service.

Last edited by arvinz; 05-24-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I was doing some researching for the GIAC tune but I didn't figure out if you're able to purchase the flash unit or do you have to take it into the GIAC dealer to apply the tune and also remove it if you go to the dealer for service.
There is a thread started by GIAC in the specific sub forum (engine etc.) where GIAC guys say that you have to take it to a dealer for install and/or removal. But I remember that they also provide you as an option with a switch to go back to stock mapping at times, there were no details on this part.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
There is a thread started by GIAC in the specific sub forum (engine etc.) where GIAC guys say that you have to take it to a dealer for install and/or removal. But I remember that they also provide you as an option with a switch to go back to stock mapping at times, there were no details on this part.
You have to go to an authorized GIAC dealer to get the tune flashed. They also offer a map switcher device, but it doesn't actually re-flash the car, just switches between built-in settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
The car is going to be going on a Dyno first of next month to confirm. I just put my car back to the stock file, I actually feel more pull. Dyno however will be the only way to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:

If you wish to discuss our software, feel free to shoot me a PM! We have done quite a few 1M's of late, so hopefully if the owners are on here they can chime in.

The software would be installed by a GIAC dealer. You can find your nearest GIAC dealer at giacusa.com/dealermap. At this point, we have dealers near most major areas.

Our software does use a flash-loader, which allows you to switch between programs in a matter of seconds. As far as the "stock" mode goes, it will resemble stock in performance and values (boost, timing, etc.) but not everything is exactly the same. This is due to the fact that some things must be changed to allow the DME to store our GIAC files.

What I tell people is that, in all honesty, it simply isn't worth it for the dealer to monitor each car for software abnormalities. If you come in with a car running straight pipes and spinning its tires in 3rd gear, then the dealer will obviously know that something is up. But if you simply revert back to our stock file, and your car isn't a complete racecar, you are unlikely to be given a hard time.

To this point, we haven't had a customer have a problem with this (and some just leave it in GIAC pump mode when they go to the dealership). The technology needed to detect whether anything has ever been done to the ECU would cost millions to instill in each dealership. Even then, whenever your car receives a DME revision, it is done so through a flash. So there is unlikely to be any such thing as an "untouched" DME.

In reality, what the dealer will probably due is update your DME and effectively wipe out all GIAC (or other flash) programming. We do not try to stop the dealer from doing this (as this could raise flags for obvious reasons) but instead offer a free re-flash in such a case.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to PM me or respond to me on here!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I am actually quite happy with mine, especially 4th gear pulls. The car really light up > 5k rpm and managed to loose traction more readily after the tune. Despite it goes to 7.2k max rev I do find it run out of steam after 6k (or not much different then stock).

My biggest problem is actually putting the power down in 2nd gear. I found stock much better at putting that power down.

I personally found the power delivery more linear, but I guess it is all subjective.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
The software would be installed by a GIAC dealer. You can find your nearest GIAC dealer at giacusa.com/dealermap. At this point, we have dealers near most major areas.
Is there an Australian dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Is there an Australian dealer?
Yes, we do have multiple dealers in Australia. We also have one of our race teams over in New Zealand, Motorsports Services Limited. They compete in endurance races such as the Bathurst 12 Hour and VIP Pet Foods Endurance Series.

To find your nearest GIAC dealer in Australia, please take a look at our dealer map at giacusa.com/dealermap
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:

That's exactly how I felt when I had Cobb (early) Beta running for a few months. Not only was power gain meager, it was very nonlinear and totally transformed (adversely) the behavior of the car. Dyno proved my sensory findings - a mere 10whp peak gain (same as what my midpipe delta was), and tq graph was extremely seesawed and spiky, lots of ups and downs (though in fairness to the tuner, they did advertise a 4% gain which was exactly that). I believe that tune has been improved in its current state, but have not tried it as I have a bespoke solution, which I would highly recommend. PM me if you like further details.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
That's exactly how I felt when I had Cobb (early) Beta running for a few months. Not only was power gain meager, it was very nonlinear and totally transformed (adversely) the behavior of the car. Dyno proved my sensory findings - a mere 10whp peak gain (same as what my midpipe delta was), and tq graph was extremely seesawed and spiky, lots of ups and downs (though in fairness to the tuner, they did advertise a 4% gain which was exactly that). I believe that tune has been improved in its current state, but have not tried it as I have a bespoke solution, which I would highly recommend. PM me if you like further details.
Who's doing the custom tune for you if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Balaclava
Rep
Drives: 1M for fun, 330xd for winter

I also have the ESS tune on my 1M, running stage "1.5", as they call it and I am quite happy with it. There is a nice 40-50 hp gain according to dynolicious (no real dyno, but pretty close if used properly) and the car actually feels to pull strong for higher up in the rev range. I have to admit I also have a Wagner FMIC, N55 midpipe and aFe intake, which may help to get the most out of the tune.

-Balaclava
      05-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Well I might add that I have a full Akrapovic Evolution system with downpipes. So I should be feeling the same gains and im not. I find that of course there is additional power, I feel however that most of it is from the downpipes and not not as much from the tune. Also I think the tune is in a way a nice calm tune, but if I wanted that id keep it stock. I want raw hp, that comes linear. So far GIAC seems to have that characteristic based on the dyno chart.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For those of you with intercoolers, you have the necessary supporting modifications for our Stage 2. Upgraded downpipes are optional for Stage 2.

Despite this, our Mustang dyno showed peak gains of +77whp and +40wtq on a Stage 2 1M with upgraded downpipes. These numbers were achieved with 91 octane as well. If you are running 93 octane, you will see slightly higher gains (although I don't currently have any 93 dynos on my computer).

We also offer Race mode for Stage 2, which allows you to run 100 octane. We also make this stage compatible for those running 91/93 with the addition of water-methanol injection. On 100 octane Race mode, our Stage 2measured gains of +96whp and +77wtq!

If you substitute water-methanol for 100 octane, the numbers would be about 10 less overall (in my experience). This is with 91 octane though, so 93 and water-methanol could produce the same numbers. Either way, you are looking at peak numbers of ~395whp and ~420 wtq on a Mustang dyno. On a dynojet, these could jump as much as +30whp (based on some Stage 2 Race N54's that we have dyno'd).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Which intake do you recommend? I have the akra catback installed, with a helix FMIC on order - I'd like to go with your stage 2, but I still need an intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
For those of you with intercoolers, you have the necessary supporting modifications for our Stage 2. Upgraded downpipes are optional for Stage 2.

Despite this, our Mustang dyno showed peak gains of +77whp and +40wtq on a Stage 2 1M with upgraded downpipes. These numbers were achieved with 91 octane as well. If you are running 93 octane, you will see slightly higher gains (although I don't currently have any 93 dynos on my computer).

We also offer Race mode for Stage 2, which allows you to run 100 octane. We also make this stage compatible for those running 91/93 with the addition of water-methanol injection. On 100 octane Race mode, our Stage 2measured gains of +96whp and +77wtq!

If you substitute water-methanol for 100 octane, the numbers would be about 10 less overall (in my experience). This is with 91 octane though, so 93 and water-methanol could produce the same numbers. Either way, you are looking at peak numbers of ~395whp and ~420 wtq on a Mustang dyno. On a dynojet, these could jump as much as +30whp (based on some Stage 2 Race N54's that we have dyno'd).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
Which intake do you recommend? I have the akra catback installed, with a helix FMIC on order - I'd like to go with your stage 2, but I still need an intake.

We have seen good gains with most of the intakes, so I would leave it to personal preference and availability. The DCI's have shown increases on our dyno (over the stock intake), even when we have the fans set to simulate 70+ mph moving speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Thomas,

With your tune is there no way at this time or in the future that you are going to incorporate a method using a cable similar to what ESS provides that allows the user to go from tuned file to there true stock file using the OBDII?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thomas,

With your tune is there no way at this time or in the future that you are going to incorporate a method using a cable similar to what ESS provides that allows the user to go from tuned file to there true stock file using the OBDII?
I've had more in depth talks with a few of the members on here regarding this topic. In short, we remap the entire DME, which takes about 1.5 hours to load. The flash tunes currently available for the BMW simply flash maps, which takes ~10 minutes to load.

The car must be on during this process, not running but all electronics powered. There is a lot of risk involved if someone does not use a proper charger to maintain power during this period, as the DME will become bricked if the car dies. We would prefer not to take this risk, which is why we choose to go through dealers at this point.

That is really the short story, but this is one of the obstacles that we face. I only have knowledge of one other company who re-flashes the entire DME (in the VW/Audi market), and they also work through a dealer network.

I certainly wish to make a move toward at-home flashing, as I know that convenience is a big factor. But at this time, we are still working around this and other obstacles.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Additionally, I receive a lot of questions from people who are worried about going back to their original stock file.

The fact of the matter is, yes BMW can detect abnormalities on the car. Regardless of what software you have, they can read previous over-revs, lean AFR's, high amounts of boost, etc. This is stored on the DME, so regardless of whether you have erased the aftermarket software, it is still there.

For an example of this, take a look at Audi and the TD1 codes. People who purchased cars CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED from an Audi dealership, are now having warranties voided. There is no software on the car and the car was advertised as stock, but due to previous over-revs and other factors (from the last owner), the car produced a TD1 code (Voiding the warranty).

Luckily, BMW has not gone to these measures. They have the ability to, and frankly have had this ability for years. I just tell our customers to switch the car to our GIAC "Stock" file before visiting a dealership, so it is just a hassle-free visit. Most dealerships don't try to bother with software, as time is money and it would take significant amounts of time and money to detect the presence of aftermarket software.

Luckily, if BMW does decide to go the route of Audi, we have the Magnusson Moss act that will protect us. The bottom line is that if the dealer is going to void your warranty for a software flash, it doesn't matter if the flash is currently on the DME. The abnormal values are already in the DME.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
My concern is not the dealer, nor am I concerned on that issue. I just like having the ability to do it myself as most of the local dealers are not available to do this on a right now basis, so its nice to come home just put the battery tender on and let it work while you get things done then come back and its all done. More convenience then anything.

Also my other concern is always if BMW is to update the ECU on the car while in service, that would override the "GIAC" tune in this case and therefore would have to revisit the GIAC dealer correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Although I can't speak first hand about the Evolve tune for the 1M. I can talk about how easy their PC software and interface is. I have used it for both my E46 and E90.

The best part is that you don't have to go to any other dealer. It can all be done from you very own garage, parking spot, or home! It's that simple and fast.

I have been following the work that Evolve has been doing for the 1M. I really regret not ordering one! Their full span of products ranging from a muffler to intercooler to tune shows how much R&D they are doing for this specific platform. They have tuned 1Ms all over the world. Some of those international clients have been posting some very impressive videos depicting their performance gains from Evolve's tune!

There is no doubt that if I was fortunate to own a little beast like all of you, I would choose Evolve again and again.
Appreciate 0