BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #67
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Why not swap in an S65 to match the cluster? Kind of a half assed swap without the suspension conversion IMO. Coming from someone who has swapped to the M components, it's well worth the improvement costs...
+1

i'd put the money into the suspension/lsd bits first before the body.
      05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #68
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
+1

i'd put the money into the suspension/lsd bits first before the body.
Agree 100%. Only then start looking into wide body solution or 1M body parts, in order to fit bigger rubber.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #69
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Green Metallic 335xi

A for effort but...

the body panels do not line up. i immediately see the misfit ment of the rear bumper to the car where body modification has been made as well as the front fenders not lining up with the door properly. Also headlight is sunken in from front fender and hood. Not trying to hate. hopefully you can fix these little bits up to make it the best 1m replica.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #70
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo 3vom View Post
the body panels do not line up. i immediately see the misfit ment of the rear bumper to the car where body modification has been made as well as the front fenders not lining up with the door properly. Also headlight is sunken in from front fender and hood. Not trying to hate. hopefully you can fix these little bits up to make it the best 1m replica.
I have seen a Prior kit on a M3. The panel gaps were hideous. I am sure this is no different in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #71
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

You can mod a 135i, but at some point it starts to cost you as much as buying an M3.
      05-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #72
Swiss Chris
Member crafted at BMW ///M
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DKG M3, M3 GTS, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Have you seen what people are asking for their 1M. Cheapest I have seen one listed, is $55k. Most are $60k-$80k+.

If you buy a low mileage N54 135i for mid $20k's. That leaves you with a huge budget for a build.
This is in Germany... Here (Swiss & Germany) we have plenty of 1M, prices are already going down...

In Switerland we even have plenty of new cars in the showrooms, everybody has his one LOL
      05-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #73
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-507 View Post
This is in Germany... Here (Swiss & Germany) we have plenty of 1M, prices are already going down...

In Switerland we even have plenty of new cars in the showrooms, everybody has his one LOL
I hear ya. Now send that GTS over to the states.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #74
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

how is this a 1M?

Its a BMW perf 135 with some body panels thrown on.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #75
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
how is this a 1M?

Its a BMW perf 135 with some body panels thrown on.
+1
      05-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #76
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I will reply again that the "void the warranty" argument is essentially false. The law in the U. S. is that the provider is not responsible for damage to the car that you cause. If the source of the lack of functionality is not something you did, then they are obligated to honor the warranty. It is the federal law. It may be inconvenient to force a dealer to do things but the federal law is in place.

I would hate to be the dealer trying to explain how BMW parts bolted onto a BMW car caused the damage they did not want to cover under warranty. I think you are pretty safe.

I do not care for the "void the warranty" phrase because it sounds like there is some loophole the dealer can invoke to refuse to repair under warranty. There is none. Unless they can show you caused the damage they have to honor the warranty, regardless of what they think of your modifications. Not making the dealer cover damage you caused is just common sense to me.

Jim
I agree, if the consumer caused the damage, then the manufacturer doesn't have to correct the problem.

Sorry to digress, but I feel compelled to write this again, as many people seem to not understand what the law provides, or what it protects. Many people think that they can do any modification they want to their car, and if a problem occurs, then the manufacturer must prove that that mod or part actually caused the damage, before they can void that portion of the warranty.
And if the manufacturer can't prove it, then they must repair it.
That belief is incorrect and far from the truth.

We've discussed the warranty and aftermarket parts questions on this forum ad-nauseam.
There are things one can do to their car that will void certain parts of their warranty. Adding any boost controller, piggy back, or ECU mod WILL void the engine portion of the warranty. That is clearly stated in the warranty information from BMW, which is a binding legal document. BMW doesn't have to prove anything in that case.

If you mod the suspension, that portion of warranty is void.
Mod the audio system, that portion is void.
Etc...
Voiding the whole vehicle warranty is not likely to happen unless you mod so extensively that you've modded nearly every system.
If one does do that, then all those parts and systems will be void of warranty as well, per the written warranty given to customers.

The law, namely the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, does NOT protect a consumer who violates the written warranty.
BMW does state that modifying the engine and/or it's controls will void the engine warranty. In this case BMW does not have to prove anything.
If the consumer modifies boost control of the ECU controlling the engine, then BMW can easily and legally deny warranty coverage. The explanation as to "why?" is in the written warranty. The warranty states that modifying parts and systems will void the warranty.

Mag-Moss protects consumers from having to buy brand specific maintenance items like air filters, spark plugs, tires, brake pads, etc...
This is part of the "tie in" provision of the warranty act.
If the manufacturer REQUIRES only their specific brand maintenance items in order to maintain warranty coverage, then they, the manufacturer, must then provide those items free of charge. In BMW's case, they do, as all maintenance parts and service are given free of charge for the duration of the 4yr/50K mile warranty.

Where the law can help an auto owner is when an owner does maintenance to their vehicle. For example, you need a new air filter. The manufacturer does not provide free replacement. The manufacturer can NOT require you to use only their brand of air filter. You can use any brand air filter that meets the requirements for an air filter in that application.
If the manufacturer/dealer wants to then deny warranty coverage of an intake part, claiming that you used product Y instead of product X, then they do have to prove that the product you used did in fact cause the damage.

It's unrealistic to expect the manufacturer to cover engine damage caused by running too much boost beyond the limits set from the factory. You were given warranty coverage to cover the vehicle as it was designed to operate. If you modify that vehicle to perform beyond it's factory built limits, then don't cry "foul" if your warranty coverage gets denied.
Well, you can cry if you want, but that wont' get it fixed either.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #77
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Lotta hate in this thread, ha.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #78
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

For everyone who asked why and started preaching about making financially wise decisions etc, do any of you actually know his financial situation? It always gets me when people start hating and throwing money comments on these conversion threads. It may have costed $100k, it may have costed half of what a 1M costs. This guy could be absolutely loaded and money is no object at all. Maybe he wanted to build it to see if he could. Maybe he owns a body shop. Maybe he got the 135i for dirt cheap because it was a salvage title and decided to make it look like a 1M for half of what a 1M costs. Maybe he just fucking wants it to look that way and can do it because he can. I dunno. Either way, it's done. I mean, I could go ask a McDonalds owner why he made it look like a damn Starbucks and tell him that he could have bought a Starbucks for less. And I bet his response would be something like, "Because I wanted you to be able to have wifi, buy a coffee, and have a god damn McRib all at the same time. Want fries with that?"

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #79
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
For everyone who asked why and started preaching about making financially wise decisions etc, do any of you actually know his financial situation? It always gets me when people start hating and throwing money comments on these conversion threads. It may have costed $100k, it may have costed half of what a 1M costs. This guy could be absolutely loaded and money is no object at all. Maybe he wanted to build it to see if he could. Maybe he owns a body shop. Maybe he got the 135i for dirt cheap because it was a salvage title and decided to make it look like a 1M for half of what a 1M costs. Maybe he just fucking wants it to look that way and can do it because he can. I dunno. Either way, it's done. I mean, I could go ask a McDonalds owner why he made it look like a damn Starbucks and tell him that he could have bought a Starbucks for less. And I bet his response would be something like, "Because I wanted you to be able to have wifi, buy a coffee, and have a god damn McRib all at the same time. Want fries with that?"
I agree, to each his own honestly.... Only criticism that I have is the inconsistent panel gaps. I have no qualms about the money that went into the project, but if you are going to spend this much you may as well do it to perfection. I know a lot of shops that wouldn't have let that slide.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #80
bimmer-styles
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible

First of all, Mr. baviaria performance....
.... you should stick to the truth!!!!

your rims aren´t the M359 OEM -> so it´s nothing special that these rims matt black (WHAAAAT????)

to run a 135i with 420hp you´ll need a little bit more than a chiptuning and racing pre-cats! follow alpinas example-> the B3S with 400hp!! you need different turbochargers, a bigger intercooler and an additional watercooler (like the PP-package)! the thermal load without changing these parts is enormous
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #81
mpiligrim
M-addict
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Laguna seca, M5 f90 Com

Garage List
Brakes
BMW M5 F90 Comp Peridot Green '19
BMW 1M Valencia Orange '11 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #82
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-styles View Post
to run a 135i with 420hp you´ll need a little bit more than a chiptuning and racing pre-cats! follow alpinas example-> the B3S with 400hp!! you need different turbochargers, a bigger intercooler and an additional watercooler (like the PP-package)! the thermal load without changing these parts is enormous
Can you read?

The OP listed a Wagner intercooler. And no, you don't need that BMW Performance watercooler, in particular for a MT car that's just a waste of money. A bigger oil cooler would be necessary if the car will be tracked, however.

The OP also mentioned that the car has DPs (i.e. catless ones).

And no, you do not need bigger turbos at all for 420hp. And please note the OP meant crank hp, not rwhp.

Alpina_B3_Lux

Last edited by Alpina_B3_Lux; 05-31-2012 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #83
bimmer-styles
Registered
Germany
Rep

Given the fact that the OP have each written something different in various forums, you cannot blame me for not reading everything accurately.
I am also not familiar with the abbreviation FMIC for an intercooler!
From my own experience, I would say that you should be able to see intercoolers through the grille once replaced by a larger version.

In my opinion a larger oil cooler is not necessary (or at least not in Germany), for this purpose there are already auxiliary water coolers and larger intercoolers! I also ask the question why BMW PP do not offer a larger oil cooler? I would assume that the engineers at BMW have a a lot more experience than you when it comes to engineering!!

Without hardware modifications, it is only a matter of time before the engine goes bang ....

Now the only question is “is it really necessary to create ... "the worlds first offical Prior 1 Series M Coupe" .... for me this is very questionable

PS: could someone tell me what is a BMW PP e-brake lever/boot?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #84
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Lotta hate in this thread, ha.
You're right! But it's not just this thread. I thought if you don't have anything nice to say....don't say anything at all, right? Wow guys!
      05-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #85
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaddict View Post
BMW Performance Seats aren't made for e88? first time i heard that
Nope BMW Performance sport seats are a special version from Recaro as shown below. Funny how they don't have coverings for the back seat in leather and alcantara as well.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...serie-1-3.html
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #86
bimmer-styles
Registered
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
Nope BMW Performance sport seats are a special version from Recaro as shown below. Funny how they don't have coverings for the back seat in leather and alcantara as well.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...serie-1-3.html
But the E82 seats will fit in every E88 as well
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #87
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

Would have been cheaper to buy an authentic 1M. For a lot less he could have built a car much better than a 1M.
      06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #88
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Given the fact that the OP have each written something different in various forums, you cannot blame me for not reading everything accurately.
Of course I can. Simply reading the first post should not be a real challenge I think. And I'm not talking about other forums, we're not in these other forums here.

Quote:
I am also not familiar with the abbreviation FMIC for an intercooler!
Well, then look it up, google it, whatever, it's really not difficult and used in all english speaking car forums.

Quote:
From my own experience, I would say that you should be able to see intercoolers through the grille once replaced by a larger version.
Then get more experience. The 135i already has an intercooler anyway, which you can also see if you look closely. You can also see any aftermarket intercooler, of course also depending on its colour.

Quote:
In my opinion a larger oil cooler is not necessary (or at least not in Germany), for this purpose there are already auxiliary water coolers and larger intercoolers!
I think you really don't have much experience at all. Anyone owning a 135i / 335i even in stock form, let alone tuned, will tell you that there are problems with the oil cooling if the car is driven a bit harder. As there is no heat exchanger with the cooling circuit, the auxiliary water cooler is more or less useless. And the IC will cool IATs (which means, in case you don't know that abbreviation either, intake air temperatures) but which will only have a marginal impact on oil temperatures.

Don't know what this has to do with Germany either, but well go figure.

Quote:
I also ask the question why BMW PP do not offer a larger oil cooler? I would assume that the engineers at BMW have a a lot more experience than you when it comes to engineering!!
I'm no engineer at all, so no need to get all excited about my comments. I'm just speaking from experience. But it's a good question why they don't offer an additional oil cooler - all those who track their 135i / 335i / Alpina B3 BT that I know run into that problem and in the end upgrade their oil cooler. Alpina BTW does offer an additional oil cooler.

My guess is that the aim of the BMW Performance line is not to transform any car into a more or less track suitable car, which is why they don't offer any serious upgrades. Also, the water cooler is just cheap to do as it replicates the oil cooler in the passenger wheel well.

Quote:
Without hardware modifications, it is only a matter of time before the engine goes bang ....
Why would that be? N54 engines have been tuned for more than 5 years now, with much higher hp outputs, and without any major engine failures that I know about.

But then you're very well reflecting the attitude prevailing in German car forums. One of the reasons I don't like it there very much.

Alpina_B3_Lux