BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
hayespn
n00b
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Sport

Post Card from the Alps

So, here I am, always complaining about missing BMW Club events because I am travelling for work and finally, I get to go somewhere fun! Instead of the usual South East Asia/Australia I head to our office in Frankfurt for a couple of weeks training.

Last Thursday was a public holiday here so I grabbed a car and thought I would reconnoitre the ring ahead of my planned holiday visit in September (yes, I have a ring taxi ticket!).

Caught the train to the main station and went to the Avis desk to collect my keys to a nice 3 series with nav. There were none available, of course, so they gave me another car in the 'same class' - a Ford Kuga which is basically a small Territory with a 2 litre diesel.

Well, despite having similar specs on paper to a 3 series, I can confidently say that it is not in the same class! It had nav (small screen and fiddly controls), heated seats, auto dimming mirrors and a reasonable stereo but it just didn't cut it! Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained and I headed out onto the highway towards the Nurburgring.

From the last time I visited I know it can be hard to find the good spectator points and since it was not a tourist day on the northern loop I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to find these without all of the usual crowds.

Wrong.

Turned out that the 24hr race was on this weekend and there were thousands and thousands of people there camping and spectating. If nothing else it gave me a chance to acclimatise to the driving style over here and I returned to Frankfurt a little disappointed.

I did find out (legally) that the Kuga runs out of steam past 190km/h and it uses a fair bit more fuel than a 320d (average was about 6.5l/100km versus approx 5l/100km in the BMW).

Anyway, not being one to miss an opportunity I took the weekend to head down towards Davos (CH) to drive some of my favourite roads. Unfortunately a few of them were still closed for winter (including the Stelvio and Furka passes) but this still left the Fluelapass, Bernina Pass, Mendelpass, Ofenpass and the roads in between. See the map for the route that I followed (crude, but you'll get the idea)...

Funnily enough, the best by far was the Fluelapass, a mere 2 kms from where I was staying. In hindsight, I probably travelled too far but this trip was about hitting some serious passes, rather than the sightseeing inbetween.

By the time I was coming back, around 4pm, there was decent snow hitting the Fluelapass and it made it a much more interesting drive. On the Sunday I left early and headed back to Frankfurt to return the car and check back into my hotel.

All in all a good experience, but it has impacted my holiday plans a little - I will definately try to cover less passes overall and spend more time in the ones I love the best.

Pictures (hard to do this scenery justice.....):-

The Kuga (a.k.a. Ole double ugly)

Still in Switzerland - cold beginnings

Switzerland - Berninapass - just stunning scenery

Italian Alps (the view almost made up for the narrow roads and bad drivers, almost)

The Ofenpass

Back on the Fluelapass, later in the day

The next morning (note to self, don't leave an iPod in the car when it is freezing outside)

Let me know if you want anymore info.
      05-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
nice - looks like fun even with the snow LOL - thanks for posting.
      05-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I love the Swiss/Italian Alps. I have been there once and want to go back one day.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nice pics! God, they still have SNOW! I guess I am spoiled living in lush and green Bravaria!!

I would love to find a nice mountain pass road. I remember years ago... when Road & Track mag tested the e30 M3 Evo (1988?) in Switzerland(?)... they had the car shot with this ribbon road that twisted and turned every which way. You typical mountain pass road - that dream of finding!!! That is what I want to find!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Don't worry about missing the track day at Barbagallo this Friday, mate! Hmmm...given the choice I know where I'd rather be! Looking at those passes I'd love to have a run in the M3 or my old 135. Enjoy your trip!

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Excellent write up and nice photos. Ahhhh..... brings back memories when we did road trips back when I was living in the UK. Just over an hour to Dover, cross the eurotunnel into Calais and onwards.....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Lucky man!

I was very close to that area in 2004, sailing on Lake Garda. The roads can be a little hairy, but talk about views!
Appreciate 0