BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Brisbane Motorkhana Event Sat May 15th

Just got another email from Roland from BMW club of QLD for a Motorkhana at Mt Cotton on the 15th of May. Again, only limited places available. Please read the email below and email Roland to confirm your spot. His email is rolandporst@hotmail.com.

Former Motorkhana Participants,

May I start with an apology: I am truly sorry it has taken me so long to organise my first Motorkhana for 2010. But without mulling over what should have been, I am pleased to announce my first for 2010!

With 2010, I am looking to try new things. For example, this first event will trial a different format to what I ran in 2009. To start with places will be limited to only 14 cars and we will be running on two much larger courses. The benefit to the everyone: There will be greater scope for fun AND more time spent in the car out on the tarmac. How? We will be running about 6 laps per course to reduce the time lost changing cars, cutting the mid session break and no winner will be announced on the day at this event. Afterall, we would all rather be out on the tarmac! The rankings and times will be sent out via email shortly after the event.

As usual, and more than ever, the courses will be geared for moderate speed rather than the small, tight format of a true motorkhana. Just image two bigger courses on that area instead of three! The event aims to exercise car control and will suit not only advanced drivers looking to hone their skills, but also the lesser experienced looking to learn. With ample run-off space and nothing but cones on seemless tarmac, this is as safe and controlled environment you can get for learning car control will suit anyone with an interst in automotive fun.

With places more limited than in the past, I encourage you to get in early. I will attempt to accommodate the usual groups as have come in the past, but with the smaller allocation of places, it is a matter of getting in fast.

Details:
Cost:
$130

Where:
Mt Cotton Driver Centre - 1753-1799 Mt Cotton Road.

When:
12:00 noon, Saturday May 15th until 16:30.

Food:
Cold drinks and snacks will be available throughout the session at the clubhouse - help yourselves throughout the afternoon.

Cars and NOISE:
Cars are to be roadworthy, road registered and should not exceed the 90dB noise limit enforced at Mt Cotton. Owners of cars with aftermarket exhausts that are suspected to be louder should come equipped with a suppression device to avoid eviction by Mt Cotton staff. This is not an idle threat as spot testing and eviction is undertaken by Mt Cotton management due to the nearby residential area. Owners of cars with standard exhaust systems need have no concern.

Rain:
Given the nature of the event, it will run rain or shine with no impact on proceedings because the area is wet anyway. The wetter the better...

Behaviour:
Many of us are from BMW Club QLD and our behaviour should benefit the image of the club. As usual, the event will be supervised by Safe Drive Training (SDT) and we similarly want to behave accordingly with them as hosts of the event.

Clothing: We recommend comfortable clothing with regards to the likely conditions (hat & sun screen or warm jacket & umbrella). Closed footwear is MANDATORY! Helmets and other protective clothing are not necessary.

Guests: Are always welcome. Just add $3 per extra guest and advise in advance.

Please enter by reply to my email and if you have been referred to this event by a former participant, please advise your mobile number and car. Payment will be called for after the event fills and places will only be secure upon FULL payment.

Cheers,
Roland

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
1988 E30 320i track car with 2.7L stroker engine and all the trimmings.
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I wish I could make it but I'll be out of town for a couple weeks when this is on
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
So the course is wet?!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
So the course is wet?!
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
So the course is wet?!
But it will still shred your tyres if you attack too hard.

However, as you've got old tyres to chew up, leave them on and make this day their curtain call.
      04-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Is this suitable for motorkhana virgin? Any instructor?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Second that question, I have never done any competitive driving before. Closest I have done was the safe driving courses out at Willowbank (but that was in a FWD pulsar with no power)...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
Is this suitable for motorkhana virgin? Any instructor?
Yes & yes. Give it a go! They're a good friendly bunch.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
Franco
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: TiAg E87 130i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
But it will still shred your tyres if you attack too hard.

However, as you've got old tyres to chew up, leave them on and make this day their curtain call.
Damn, I just put new tyres on last week. Was waiting for an event like this to waste away my old tyres but it was getting a little to dangerous in the wet
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I topped the sheets at one of Roland's events last year, if any of you are going to this one see if you can keep the crown resting with the 1'ers
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I topped the sheets at one of Roland's events last year, if any of you are going to this one see if you can keep the crown resting with the 1'ers
I reckon that was a fluke. Stop resting on your laurels Matty. Come back and show us how it's done!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Is this a gauntlet I see before me?

Hrm. Well, I'd like to think it's a combination of my Limited Edition 1er and some decent hand-eye coordination doing the trick.

The fluke is equally likely, however

My co-pilot and I are celebrating our one year anniversary on that very day, and as romantic as a motorkhana is, a choice between a day of strolling and dinner at Aria vs. this hallowed event will likely see strolling/ Aria win accoring to SportsBet, which have it as the favourite for 2:1.

However I never know my luck in the big city...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

sweet, this sounds awesome. I have been there before for a Merc drive day and it was lots of fun.

If there is a spot left ill come along. Just emailed Roland
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Any pics from this event? I missed out.
Appreciate 0