E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Software update, Personal Profile, Key Memory

11-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Software update, Personal Profile, Key Memory

I went to the dealership today to put winter tires on. My plan was to ask service advisor if Personal Profile can be enabled in my pre-September car. Some of you probably remember there was a topic recently where this was discussed (I think I started it) and someone actually gave links to the bmw official SIBs that deal with that. In addition I personally called customer service and they confirmed that it can be enabled and gave me SIB numbers that deal with it. So I came prepared in case they tell me it is not possible. And in fact this is what happened. His first response was – no, cannot do it on early models. So I show him print outs with SIBs description. He takes it to the forman. In about 15 minutes he comes back saying –yes, we can do it, we can enable Personal Profile but you have to have software version CIP 19.01 or higher. In case if I do not have this version – it will cost me to install it. It can be installed for free only if I have some problem that requires newer software to be installed in order to fix it. Thankfully I had this version of software already. So they only need to connect it to their computer and enable it.

I thought that after it is enabled I will have the ability to control all the functions through my OBC (I don’t have iDrive). But apparently I was wrong about it. I took a ride with the mechanic and he explained to me that I still cannot set those option myself because my car is pre-September. Yes, Personal profile can be enabled, which he did, and now key memory should work (I did not try it yet, went straight to my office and the second fob is at home). But at the same time as of now it is still impossible to make pre-September cars to have it adjustable through the OBC, only by connecting to their computer at the shop.

So, this is the final verdict for all who was wondering about it. Pre-September can be retrofitted with DayTime running lamps, lock-after driving, Key memory, but all these functions can be set/changed ONLY by the mechanic in the shop, not by the driver. Again I am talking about non-iDrive pre-September cars.

mike
      11-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
E90
Bemuri
Rep
Drives: 2013/320i AxDrive Alpine White

You are absolutely correct.I had my car updated yesterday.Only one thing which I noticed was new to me.Now I have power in the sockets in armrest when the ignition is on.Before that the car had to be runnig.
Alpine Weiss 320i,(man)sport package,17"Breyton Inspiration wheels,through load system,proff radio,hifi speakers,bi-xenons,auto air-condition,alarm,light package,pdc,rainsensor,cruise control,cup holders,heated seats,headlamp washers,tinted windows rear,Ac-Schnitzer aluminium pedals.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yes. I thought we had all reached that conclusion, but that is the state of it. I would be okay with most of that, except I would like the ability to set priorities for bluetooth devices. What annoys me badly (and you used this phrase in your post) is that they consider pre-September cars "early models". They are ALL 2006 BMW 3 Series cars!!! We should not be punished because they rushed an unfinished product to market.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
do you mean when the ignition is off?
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep

LedZep, I agree with you –I never thought that I am buying a “test” model when I bought the car one of the first in my area. They dfenetaly needed to disclose things like that. Who knew… But on the bright side – I love the car. Yes, it is an inconvenience not to be able to control these features myself, especially for the control freak like I am, but what can I do at this point. Not much. I won’t sell the car because of that
Basically technician said that it is not purely software issue, obviously there are some hardware components that would need to be modified/changes in order to provide us (n on-iDrive customers) with the ability to control those features through OBC and this is the extent the BMW is not willing to go at this point. So we do have different hardware configuration than post-September models and we have to live with these limitations.

Thanks everyone who assisted with information in this matter.
mike
      11-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Yep. We should all get a check in the mail as compensation for being BETA testers. No wonder those assholes lost two world wars.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Ok...my dumb question for the day: what are SIBs?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
When I got my software updated my mechanic told me there were a software recall for E90 and thats why they did it. He also said something about engine management. Anyone went through this?

When my car was done with software reset/upgrade, all my previous settings were gone(Everything was re-setted(bluetooth profile, radio presets, audio adjustments, on-board computer data, etc etc) like a brand new car). I didn't notice any difference though.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Yep. We should all get a check in the mail as compensation for being BETA testers. No wonder those assholes lost two world wars.
LOL I love when you get pissed, your comments crack me up.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
Ok...my dumb question for the day: what are SIBs?
It's another acronymn for BMW. It means Selfish Inconsiderate Bastards.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yes. I thought we had all reached that conclusion, but that is the state of it. I would be okay with most of that, except I would like the ability to set priorities for bluetooth devices. What annoys me badly (and you used this phrase in your post) is that they consider pre-September cars "early models". They are ALL 2006 BMW 3 Series cars!!! We should not be punished because they rushed an unfinished product to market.
As ive said before, march cars will probably have thing september cars dont have, then next September will have things the march cars dont have.

They have to keep the cars "fresh" to keep up sales
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Next September cars will be 2007 models. I would expect some changes. I still feel the way I feel about the May vs. September 2006. I think we were cheated in many ways.

What really bugs me about this is that no one has a clue what the truth is. Every source gives a different story on what software should be installed, what software is available, what features should be enabled, etc. etc. BMW does not do a very good job of dispensing information to their service personnel. And obviously calling BMWUSA and getting some pimple faced moron there is worthless.

If there were some reliable information available I would feel better. This just makes me obsess.

But E90Fleet - can you tell me why my bluetooth barely works after the update?

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr

Totally agree with you Ledzep. With software the update should be continuous.
      11-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's another acronymn for BMW. It means Selfish Inconsiderate Bastards.
Natalia,
Don’t listen to LedZep when he is angry I thing SIB is the acronym for Service Information Bulletin

LedZep – STOP BEING ANGRY!!! its not the end of the world
      11-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I'm not (that) angry. I don't care about being able to set all the PP crap (except of course in principle), but I'd like to be able to prioritze my phones. Yeah, when things I paid money for don't work I get a little pissed.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #16
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
I'm not (that) angry. I don't care about being able to set all the PP crap (except of course in principle), but I'd like to be able to prioritze my phones. Yeah, when things I paid money for don't work I get a little pissed.
I agree with you that the Bluetooth should work as advertised, no matter when the car was produced. As for the rest... as long as the car does exactly what it was said to be able to do when you bought it, you have no cause for complaint. You already have your compensation for having a pre-September build car: you have a less expensive car and had it first. It's difficult to have your cake and eat it too! You are more than welcome to feel upset about them making changes and improvements that you don't have, but realistically it is about on par with complaining that the $2000 computer you bought last month isn't as good as the $2000 computer on sale this month. A model year is a model year, but with in-line changes in production and constant improvements in components, particularly the electronics and computer components, the days of keeping a car identical for an entire year is not only outmoded, but quite foolish.

Finally, and I hate to be the one who has to break it to you, you were quite aware when you bought your car that it was one of the first off the line. One of the best known facts in shopping for any product, particularly cars, is that the first production run will have unforseen problems. That is why it is only the incredibly enthusiastic, the incredibly impatient and the foolishly optimistic who are willing to buy a product as soon as it is released!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Next September cars will be 2007 models. I would expect some changes. I still feel the way I feel about the May vs. September 2006. I think we were cheated in many ways.

But E90Fleet - can you tell me why my bluetooth barely works after the update?
All pre-September cars were 2005 models, its a USA Marketing thing calling them 2006 models, the factory and the rest of the world knows them as 2005 models.

post September cars are proper 2006 models

Dont know why you are having Bluetooth problems. Maybe they need to reload the phone software. Have they tried to fix it yet ??
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Actually, when I was making my decision about the car I asked specifically about the Personal Profile settings and functions. I was informed that they were not yet ready but would be provided via software update in September-ish. I was okay with that and as you say, willing to wait because I wanted the car early. I was still okay when the update came and I discovered that it does not provide the full functionality (OBC) but that the dealer has to program it. I told them what I wanted set and it was done. What has since really pissed me off is that my bluetooth apparently got messed up in the process, and while re-pairing my and my wife's phones I realized that my car is not capable of setting priority for the phones - which the post-September cars can do. There is no way that this isn't just a simple software update, and it is the difference between a well functioning system or a poorly functioning system.

Perhaps, as you're pointing out, I am learning my lesson. I truely hope that the next "new" model introduced by BMW shows no sales whatever for six to nine months and causes the company severe financial problems. Then, when they survey the landscape to try and save the few remaining executive jobs and find out what happened, I hope the answer is: "we're waiting for you to finish the car first before we buy it".

Sorry for ranting, but there are currently two things keeping me from enjoying the car that I love - BT not working and the damn steering vibration. Both of these things get my immediate attention every time I drive.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
All pre-September cars were 2005 models, its a USA Marketing thing calling them 2006 models, the factory and the rest of the world knows them as 2005 models.

post September cars are proper 2006 models

Dont know why you are having Bluetooth problems. Maybe they need to reload the phone software. Have they tried to fix it yet ??
That may be, so let the updates come from the marketing budget. My window sticker says 2006, as does my registration. But enough on that... we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I do understand your point, and respect you too much to keep arguing.

I called today to try to make an appointment to have the bluetooth and my shimmy problem fixed. Got voice mail and no call back yet... but hopefully soon. I notice a couple members stating that their BT didn't work reliably until after the update. It makes me assume that the update touches the BT system and could also have adverse affects.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #20
gumpracer
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishenka
I personally called customer service and they confirmed that it can be enabled and gave me SIB numbers that deal with it.

Could you tell me the SIB #s that BMW gave you? I'm dropping the car off next week, and I don't want to have any trouble. Also, did your SA provide you with a "BMW Car & Key Memory Customer Selection Form" for your personal profile settings?

Thanks!
      11-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #21
Poncho68
_ _
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SP/PP

What consitutes a pre-september car, my car was built in September, so can I assume that mine has updated software/systems?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
^ You're fine. Built in September is OK.

Appreciate 0