BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #155
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evel karnievel View Post
After four tours in Italy and Switzerland, I wanted to see and drive something new.
I know it's a long trip. Maybe I'm not going to the sea.
That would not be bad. The landscape in the mountains is so beautiful and totally different from the Dolomites.

Pictures from curves-magazin.com

Sooooooo, how traveled are these roads???? This looks very interesting.
      02-07-2015, 04:47 AM   #156
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I see some potential...
      02-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #157
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I will drive for two weeks and start on july 10th. I think, I drive to much left from the Sella...

Thats my plan.

part one:

part two:

Konstanz (D)
Klausenpass
Sustenpass
Col du Pilon
Col de la Croix
Pas de Morgins
Col du Corbier
Col de Joux Plane
Col de la Colombière / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col des Aravis / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col des Saisies / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de Méraillet / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col du Pré
Cormet de Roselend / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col du Petit-Saint-Bernard
Col de l’Isèran / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de la Madeleine
Col de la Croix de Fer / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col du Télégraphe / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col du Galibier / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col du Lautaret / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de l’Izoard / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de Vars / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de Restefond / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de la Bonette / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de la Cayolle / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de Valberg / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de la Couillole / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col Saint-Martin près Valdeblore / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de Turini / Route des Grandes Alpes
Gorges du Piaon / Route des Grandes Alpes
Col de Castillon / Route des Grandes Alpes
Menton (FR)

Evil... you know the more I look at these pics of France from Curves Magazine... the more I think we should join you.

Have you ever driven this area before? I also wonder how busy the traffic will be in the summer months. I also wonder about the French Gendarme(Polizei)would welcome a bunch of fast loud BMW's.

So what is your plan... just to start driving and find a hotel along the road to stay at each night? This is my kind of road trip! But with a large group, we would need to find a prearranged hotel(s).

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #158
evel karnievel
braaap
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4M QP

Hey ho,
traffic in the mountains - i don't know
french gendarme - i don't know

Z4M is filled up - check
girlfriend is on passenger seat - check
amex - check

I think we have only one problem - the Tour The France. This Event is during the second week in this area. I would change the route spontaneously.

We will not reserve the hotels. It's a classic roadtrip like my first trips.
Drive and drive and on a nice place we will eat and sleep.
With a large group that is nearly impossible.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2015, 01:48 AM   #159
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Hey ho,
traffic in the mountains - i don't know
french gendarme - i don't know

Z4M is filled up - check
girlfriend is on passenger seat - check
amex - check

I think we have only one problem - the Tour The France. This Event is during the second week in this area. I would change the route spontaneously.

We will not reserve the hotels. It's a classic road trip like my first trips.
Drive and drive and on a nice place we will eat and sleep.
With a large group that is nearly impossible.

Hey ho Michael

Nice road trip you're planning there
I did 80% of it and some more a few years ago. I love France for it

I can give you some (old) advice Traffic on most of the passes (cols in French) on your list will be ok except for the ones around the Galibier which could be crowded.
You should stay clear from the cyclist "Tour the France" itinerary at least 3 to 4 days.

Warning: before and during the Tour de France the cops (gendarmes) are gonna be on full strength on the roads in that area where the Tour will be passing. My advice is to drive thru there a few days AFTER the Tour .....or even better go there late June or early July.

About the hotels: it could be tricky finding a nice place to spend the night depending on where you are, It's the holiday season you know

But no matter what ... it's gonna be blast ....have fun
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #160
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

So guys, what are the plans this year?
      03-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #161
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
So guys, what are the plans this year?
Either Italy or France. Artemis will check out some Italian passes with Tron over Easter. I'm feeling France's Alps pulling me in.

We will probably do our tour in June or July this summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #162
mocaholic
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d E82

Hi Guys,

I´ve been to the french alps last year by bike and its awesome! We´ve been riding from Lousanne via the Route des grandes alpes to Nice.
I can recommend this trip to everyone. Unfortunately I´ve done this trip only by bike, not by car, but I´m sure that this wouldn´t be less awesome.

While planning the date for our trip we forgot to consider the Tour de France, so it was just luck that we didn´t got in conflict with that. E.g. we took the col d'izoard 2 days before the Tour de France took place there.
But on the whole trip I didn´t saw any police car, so we dont had any problems with them although our bikes have been as loud as your 1Ms might probably be.

This summer we will do the same trip again but we´ll take the ferry to corsice in nice and extend our trip by corsice and sardegna, and visit the dolimites on the way back to germany.

If you want to I can show you some pictures of our route des grandes alpes trip. I´m doing some video editing with the gopro videos i´ve taken there, as soon it is finished I can also show you, that might be more interesting.

In June this summer me and some friends also with 1 series BMWs will take a trip to the italian alps, it would be funny to meet some of you there

The route we will take on 13th and 14th of June will be this one:

http://motoplaner.de/#v4&47.56821,10...597,1,0,0&&0,0

We will take about 5 to 6 1series and take a hotel near Bolzano.

While planning this route, I´ve got some inspiration from your posts here, thanks for them and the pictures
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #163
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocaholic View Post
Hi Guys,

I´ve been to the french alps last year by bike and its awesome! We´ve been riding from Lousanne via the Route des grandes alpes to Nice.
I can recommend this trip to everyone. Unfortunately I´ve done this trip only by bike, not by car, but I´m sure that this wouldn´t be less awesome.

While planning the date for our trip we forgot to consider the Tour de France, so it was just luck that we didn´t got in conflict with that. E.g. we took the col d'izoard 2 days before the Tour de France took place there.
But on the whole trip I didn´t saw any police car, so we dont had any problems with them although our bikes have been as loud as your 1Ms might probably be.

This summer we will do the same trip again but we´ll take the ferry to corsice in nice and extend our trip by corsice and sardegna, and visit the dolimites on the way back to germany.

If you want to I can show you some pictures of our route des grandes alpes trip. I´m doing some video editing with the gopro videos i´ve taken there, as soon it is finished I can also show you, that might be more interesting.

In June this summer me and some friends also with 1 series BMWs will take a trip to the italian alps, it would be funny to meet some of you there

We will take about 5 to 6 1series and take a hotel near Bolzano.

While planning this route, I´ve got some inspiration from your posts here, thanks for them and the pictures
^^Thanks for the advice!

I'm really thinking we should visit the French Alps this year. I've never been. But last month I was in Annecy, France and really liked that area of France. It felt more Italian-like to me.

IF you have any hotels you could recommend that would be great. I am thinking about the Fourth of July weekend for our time frame. Also I was thinking of only France and the upper left corner of Italy to drive. We would drive thru teh Western corner of the Black Forrest on our way to the French Alps.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #164
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:

I can highly recommend that you include doing a lap of the thrilling Sella Ronda: once you're at Canazei (the most Eastern checkpoint on your provisional map), drive East to Arabba (Pordoi pass), then drive North to Corvara (Campolongo pass), then West to Gröden (Selva di Val Gardena) (Gardena pass) and finally South to Canazei again (Sella pass). Or drive it clockwise (Sella pass - Gardena pass - Campolongo pass - Pordoi pass). The full lap takes about 75 mins (normal pace).

Trust me, it will be one of the highlights of your trip. Driving pleasure + humbling experience with those huge 'towers' right next to you.

Last edited by Artemis; 04-07-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #165
mocaholic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^Thanks for the advice!

I'm really thinking we should visit the French Alps this year. I've never been. But last month I was in Annecy, France and really liked that area of France. It felt more Italian-like to me.

If you have any hotels you could recommend that would be great. I am thinking about the Fourth of July weekend for our time frame. Also I was thinking of only France and the upper left corner of Italy to drive. We would drive thru teh Western corner of the Black Forrest on our way to the French Alps.

Dackel
Unfortunately I dont have any hotel recommendations on this route for you because we´ve just been to camp sites.

Our bike trip this year starts at the 4th weekend of july, too, if we catch you, I´m going to attract your attention

Last year on this trip we took the way through black forest, too, but I was a little bit disappointed, so this year we will drive through switzerland and over the furka pass untill we reach the area southerly from the genf lake.

This was last years route:

http://motoplaner.de/#v4&48.67866,10...842,1,0,0&&0,0

and this is the route we´ll take this year by bike:

http://motoplaner.de/#v4&48.69765,10...476,1,0,0&&0,0

Maybe we will change some details, e.g. we are not sure yet if this will be the exact route we´ll take on sardegna, also there might some changes in the dolomites, too, its not save yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I can highly recommend that you include doing a lap of the thrilling Sella Ronda: once you're at Canazei (the most Eastern checkpoint on your provisional map), drive East to Arabba (Pordoi pass), then drive North to Corvara (Campolongo pass), then West to Gröden (Selva di Val Gardena) (Gardena pass) and finally South to Canazei again (Sella pass). Or drive it clockwise (Sella pass - Gardena pass - Campolongo pass - Pordoi pass). The full lap takes about 75 mins (normal pace).

Trust me, it will be one of the highlights of your trip. Driving pleasure + humbling experience with those huge 'towers' right next to you.

Thank you very much for that advice

I´ve updated the route, now I think it has to be right:

Appreciate 1
      06-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #166
mocaholic
Rep

We did our Trip last weekend, it was awesome!

Just a few pictures:

Timmelsjoch:

Sella:

Gavia:

Stelvio:

Hahntennjoch:

Appreciate 2
      06-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #167
markymark666
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M135i F21

Great pics!! And nice M135is
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #168
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
We did our Trip last weekend, it was awesome!

Just a few pictures...

Nice pics!!! Do you want to join us next month?

Do you have any tips on what and where you would go/visit. Looks like you guys had an really nice trip. :thumbsup;

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #169
mocaholic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nice pics!!! Do you want to join us next month?

Do you have any tips on what and where you would go/visit. Looks like you guys had an really nice trip. :thumbsup;

Dackel
I would if i could, but the weekend you guys do your trip, I´ll be in the french alps again - by motorbike.
But sure it wasn´t the last time we´ve visited the alps by car, so maybe we can do the next trip together!

If you want to visit the more less known roads, maybe this might help you:

http://www.motorradonline.de/reporta...rnative/628802

Otherwise I can recommend the entire french alps, but in my opinion it doesnt really matter which part of the alps you visit - its a pleasure everywhere down there.
Appreciate 1