BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
Jettafanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cool Dude... Easy on the words...

1) Sorry about your car

2) You tell people "fuck off im here for help", you ain't gonna get much...

3) "im hoping theyll get a flat bed to bring it to their shop and have it bring it back to my hosue because it wont make it there". I am sure AMS, being a VERY reputable shop, will get you car back to look at it though to EXPECT any cėshop to specifically use a flat bed, unless they offer it, is a bit much. Unless you car is super lowered or 4Wd, the flat bad is really overkill.

4)"I also think i should be refunded on the install cost seeing as they didnt do it right in the first place..." If for whatever reason they have to take it all off and put you back to stock, then I think that may be reasonable. If they can get your car fixed and leave the current mods on then that would be unreasonable and probably unlikely to happen ( no tuner would). They should not charg you extra to diagnose / fix the problem though / get whatever part may have gone Kaput as a result of the install / water / whatever else went wrong.

5) "Any of you probly woulda been flippin your shit too" Yeah, we probably would be freaking out, but no reason to jump on here and go wild with strong words and semi-accusations esp. if you are not sure of what is going on with the car / not familiar with automotive mechanical electrical systems.

6)"Also, I work at a car wash, and I can tell you with 100% certainty, that unless they left something electronic exposed, it wouldn't cause these problems. Certainly not the undertray" This may be partly true, but some of those jets can be pretty powerful and some water could have gotten up inside the engine bay and if covers were not replaced there may have been water seepace in the ECU compartment / sensors.

7) "P.S: FMIC doesn't have a fan....though you do have fans in front (radiator)" self explanatory and true...

8) "I'm not sure how the 135 controls the fans because I haven't investigated that area...BUT on my previous cars the radiator fans wouldn't turn on (heat/ac aside) unless the engine reached a temp that was higher than normal...they would continue to stay on until the engine was back to operator temps, which includes remaining on after the car is shut off."
That is still true in most cars. Though falts in thermostats / shorts can keep this on/off indefinitely and will defenitely kill your battery with engine off over time if they keep on running. Water into anything that is along the circuitry could have caused a short and did this...

9)"cp-e thingy" .... that's awesome" Yes, that's a classic

Not being a smart-a$$ , but I can sense you are pretty new at tuning / modified cars and as such your understading of what is happening / what can go wrong is limited... HAving been there myself in the past I thought I shuold give you a few pointers and advice with how to react in situations like this.
It's only a piece of machinery, not a living thing that will die irerversibly.
Take a deep breath, tell yourself that, call AMS and explain what happened. I am sure they will work with you to get the car back up and running reliably "like a beast..." , and if not, come back on the forums and tell us about it....

But your demeanor will affect how the people who'se help / advice / info you need will react to you and what / how much info they will give you.

"
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #24
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

I'll agree. This cat needs to keep his cool. The car wash isn't the cause. I've had a piece of my undertray off for a month because I'm lazy and see it as nearly worthless unless there's salt on the road. You definatly need to do your research and know what your doing to your car. Just buying goodies for it is nice but perhaps you could have spent a little more time understanding these mods to ensure your making your car do what you want "or maybe your simply want fast and loud". Also I often hear the electric water pump running after I turn my car off to cool those turbos. Thank god I don't need a turbo timer!!! Maybe your hearing that as well. Either way you definatly have a problem and I'm sure you can trace it back to AMS pretty simply so long as you didn't mess with anything yourself. Good luck getting it all back and running.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
I think you modded your keyboard too. All of your periods have become ellipsis!

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #26
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

6)"Also, I work at a car wash, and I can tell you with 100% certainty, that unless they left something electronic exposed, it wouldn't cause these problems. Certainly not the undertray" This may be partly true, but some of those jets can be pretty powerful and some water could have gotten up inside the engine bay and if covers were not replaced there may have been water seepace in the ECU compartment / sensors.

"[/QUOTE]

notice that I said "unless they left something electronic exposed".

generally speaking, underbody jets are not as powerful as people seem to think they are. they are more powerful in touchless washes, as is everything else, but they just sound louder because of the things they contact.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballroomm View Post
...and as soon as the water hit my car it started flippin out...the service engine soon light came on then the picture popped up and then a picture of a car on a lift popped up and it felt like it was going to stall or something

Picture of a car on a lift? Has anyone else ever seen this symbol on a 135i?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

I've seen it in the manual but I forgot what it was for. Something to do with routine service I thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #29
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Sorry about your trouble. I'm sure it'll get worked out.

Just wanted to say for the record:

The intercooler does have a fan.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Worst mistake: Bringing a Jet Black BMW through a car wash......post pics of the swirls in the paint after you post pics of the new equipment.

BTW, good luck getting the car sorted, AMS should make it right.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #31
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_skyrider View Post
I'll agree. This cat needs to keep his cool. The car wash isn't the cause. I've had a piece of my undertray off for a month because I'm lazy and see it as nearly worthless unless there's salt on the road.
I've heard the undertray is for aerodynamic purposes as well as protection although I could be wrong. I'd put it back.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #32
dread1
typos
Canada
Rep
Drives: US spec 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post

what? please explain this. any pictures. not doubting but never seen that before
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
sub7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & 135i

I say take a step back. Put a BT Scan or OBD2 tool in and write down the PO codes. Then we can figure out the issue. Judging by your responses your not very knowledgeable with cars. So to avoid being told by AMS something, and you having to shell out the money if they made a mistake. You will be able to have solid information on what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #34
1vs3
1er
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post

There is a fan on radiator. The FMIC is mounted below it. Unless the FMIC has an aftermarket fan on it as well? I have never see this with any of the aftermarket FMIC's available.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #35
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimmelnojerz View Post
are you high?
x2