BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

how do i get 1m? ordering one thru mil sales in germany

Good Morning everyone,

I want to get a 1m, and i wrote to 4 dealers in my aread, and none of them have it...
I'm getting stationed in Germany in 3 months, so I am planning to leave a deposit with mil sales (does anyone know how big is the line there?). They don't know yet if they will get one allocated or not, nor how many people are in line.

Help me out please.

Would be nice to get the Alpine White... none of the other colors sit well with me.

Last edited by GrumpyBimmerFan; 06-23-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

in another thread another member mentioned mil sales would get 2 and he has ordered the first one
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

wow, really? this is what my sales person said:
"At the moment we have nearly ten orders for the BMW 1 M Coupe through our company. As we are the largest Sales Agency for the Military Sales Program I am estimating a number of around thirty to forty on pre-orders of the BMW 1 M Coupe. At this stage, we will recognize your order, however, a production slot can only be allocated once they have been officially released by BMW. We will then have to rewrite your order and the earliest possible production slot will be given to you."

really need advice of what your take on this is guys... i never dealt with a company like this. I either have to leave a deposit in very soon, and then end up with no car, being in germany etc... My second choice for a vehicle is 06-08 Z06, to bring it with me, but i'll be in the states only in August for 1 month.

When do you think mil sales might know of the actual allocations that they might get? She is telling me october time frame, which would really screw me over if I don't get one allocated (it'd be a lot harder for me to buy the vette, and limits my car options in germany).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
how do i get 1m?
Good Morning everyone,

I want to get a 1m, and i wrote to 4 dealers in my aread, and none of them have it...
I'm getting stationed in Germany in 3 months, so I am planning to leave a deposit with mil sales (does anyone know how big is the line there?). They don't know yet if they will get one allocated or not, nor how many people are in line.

Help me out please....
It's kinda like the soup Nazi situation. You get in line at the dealership, give them your $1000 deposit and wait. Whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat DO NOT ask for a production # or how long it is going to take! Otherwise....

"NO ///M for YOU!"

Name:  1Mnazi.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  39.1 KB
      06-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

LOL about the 1M Nazi.. I think that's true for ALL orders..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
If you're willing to pay more than MSRP you can get a 1M off some dealers lot in August but it will be around 5k more than MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

5k would be the cut in line charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
When do you think mil sales might know of the actual allocations that they might get? She is telling me october time frame, which would really screw me over if I don't get one allocated (it'd be a lot harder for me to buy the vette, and limits my car options in germany).
I see you found the mil sales thread, so I won't re-hash everything that's been said there. I'll just re-emphasize that I wouldn't count on getting a 1M through the mil sales program. I'm not saying it won't happen, it's just that info has been very slow to trickle out. So if you're gonna come over here with plans on getting a 1M, have a back-up plan.

Your options over here aren't as limited as you think if you're looking new. Obviously, the used market on American spec cars is very limited, and good luck finding something like a used Z06. But you can get a new car from just about any manufacturer from one of the places around here (not sure about Chevy). But I know for sure you can get BMW & Mini (www.pentagoncarsales.com); Mercedes (www.torpedomilitarysales.com); Audi, VW, & Toyota (www.autoexchangeonline.com); Volvo (www.volvocars.com/military); and Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, and Honda (www.encs.com).

Some of those (in particular, BMW and Mercedes) offer great discounts, upwards of 10-15% over stateside MSRP. So as an example, I'm not sure if you're interested in an M3, but you can get one of those over here for what you'd pay for a 1M in the states. So you could put money down on a 1M and if that doesn't work out just get an M3.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

thanks spiderz17, would love more info from you....

ok, so i just left a $1k deposit with them... From what i understand BMW HQ will see how many ppl have deposits down and then figure out if they will build more, correct? My lady said maybe in August she will know... that'd be great, since that's when I PCS, and can pick up a Z for around $36k. Money is an object, but i figured 1m would not depriciate much, and i was planning to keep it for a while. I don't want just a car, i'd love to have a sport car, and not expensive...

big problem for me in Germany is Insurance, USAA quotes/cars i considered:
996TT $9k a year
M3 $5.5k a year
370z $6.5k a year
C63AMG $6k a year
Z06 $3.5k a year (something i can afford).
S4 $4k a year.

All those car insurances would cost me around $100 in Jersey.

I am 26, no points in past 3 years. 2 insurance reports (one 3 yrs ago, car was hit while parked, during a snow storm. second 8 months ago someone smashed a window stole a sterio). USAA says there's nothing on my file that is bad, just that all those cars are pricey...

Was really loking closely at M3's, but insurance would kill me... and another minus is gas milage... I plan on road triping thru europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
LMSM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92M3

According to my KOLON BMW(KOREA) dealer 1M Coupe US Production is finally open.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
thanks spiderz17, would love more info from you....

ok, so i just left a $1k deposit with them... From what i understand BMW HQ will see how many ppl have deposits down and then figure out if they will build more, correct? My lady said maybe in August she will know... that'd be great, since that's when I PCS, and can pick up a Z for around $36k. Money is an object, but i figured 1m would not depriciate much, and i was planning to keep it for a while. I don't want just a car, i'd love to have a sport car, and not expensive...

big problem for me in Germany is Insurance, USAA quotes/cars i considered:
996TT $9k a year
M3 $5.5k a year
370z $6.5k a year
C63AMG $6k a year
Z06 $3.5k a year (something i can afford).
S4 $4k a year.

All those car insurances would cost me around $100 in Jersey.

I am 26, no points in past 3 years. 2 insurance reports (one 3 yrs ago, car was hit while parked, during a snow storm. second 8 months ago someone smashed a window stole a sterio). USAA says there's nothing on my file that is bad, just that all those cars are pricey...

Was really loking closely at M3's, but insurance would kill me... and another minus is gas milage... I plan on road triping thru europe.
Yowza, those are some steep insurance rates. I'm 29, I have a shitty driving record and USAA quoted a new M3 as only $2500 a year. Maybe you're single and being married makes that big a difference?? Those quotes seem to be quite high.

There are a couple of fly-by-night insurance companies over here (North Atlantic or something like that is one of them), but you get what you pay for. I'm not endorsing them or anything, just saying it's an option. What'd USAA quote you for a 1M? I'd check on that first because the quote for a 1M for me was about the same as the M3, so if it's the same for you that could be a big factor. Maybe you can go with higher deductibles to lower the rates, but that's your call.

As for getting a 1M, BMW HQ has played this very close to the vest. I see a post above where someone is saying they may have opened the 1M ordering system to the mil sales companies. Even still, if they're telling you that you're behind 30-40 people in line, I don't like your odds. You can read some of the other threads, but they're limited in how many they can physically produce at the factory since they're being made alongside regular 1 series and X1s (very popular right now). Like I said, it's a gamble whether you'll get a 1M or not, so just go into it with a back-up plan. Maybe wait until August and if they can't give you a solid yes on a 1M, get the Vette. My $0.02
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Thank you once again for the input. I asked the mil sales about insurance, they have some other company that they go with, and they quoted me 160 euro (about $220) a month, so i can live with that. I will certainly check with USAA again, cause that does seem out of the ordinary. I am not married, how ever, so you may be right. In the states, i was quoted $1200 for Z06, and about the same for M3, and a tad higher for 996tt (love that thing).

The way I understood that statement (30-40), is that's how many they will be getting, not how many ppl are ahead of me. She said there are 10ppl ahead, but then again, i'm not sure if that's the actual deposits. I base that on the fact that when i said i'm interested (before the deposit), she said that i'm in line... I'm sure however there is another poor soul out there with the deposit down. I found a dealer in CA that has one in orange, fully loaded for $55k, but that's neither the color i can live with, nor the price... Stock navi is a must for me, so i had to order one with both packages, and it kind of got the car price to almost 50.

That was my plan, wait till end of july, and if i don't have something set in stone, i'll try (in a nice way) get my deposit back, and proceed with the Z06, or if i'm lucky with the insurance, get the M3.... M3 sits a tad better with me, although Z06 is very respectable car, performance wise, MPG wise, and tuning options (some ppl say 28-30mpg highway). My main goal is traveling thru europe and spending some time at the ring.
Appreciate 0