BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

BMWP coils with Bilsteins or Yellows anyone?

Yes, search is my friend too, thanks in advance but I want the latest opinion available. Anyone with one of these combos please chime in. Already did the Hotchkis front anti-sway with excellent results, and now want minimal drop with good control, keeping simplicity and cost in mind. Stock dampers have gone floppy on me. I'm aware of the popularity of coilovers and M3 subframe bushings but will not be doing those.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I would go for Bilstein B12 with Eibach kit look for that
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I would go for Bilstein B12 with Eibach kit look for that
Thanks for the reply. While I love the idea of matched components and saving a few bucks when purchasing in kit form, for me there's still a preference for the lesser 10mm drop of the BMWP springs compared to the 30mm drop of the Eibachs. New England roads can be bad enough, and in my job as a realtor I often encounter steep driveways, multiple speed bumps in condo complexes, and sometimes even dirt roads (I switch vehicles with my wife on days I need to carry clients!). My first thought was to stay on stock springs but the BMWP's give 34% more spring rate, with the minimal drop.

I don't see too many places carrying the B12 kit yet here in the U.S. but I'm sure that will change soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Why don't you just go for the full BMW Performance suspension (springs/dampers/front ARB)? It sounds like it's right up your alley: matched & minimal drop, plus OEM so no warranty issues.

There are a few guys running Koni FSD's with BMWP springs. Search for user "GaryS," he seems very happy with this set-up.

Good luck.
      04-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Why don't you just go for the full BMW Performance suspension (springs/dampers/front ARB)? It sounds like it's right up your alley: matched & minimal drop, plus OEM so no warranty issues.

There are a few guys running Koni FSD's with BMWP springs. Search for user "GaryS," he seems very happy with this set-up.

Good luck.
At the same is it possible to buy PE springs separately? How much?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:

Good luck.
Hello. I am very happy with this setup, and everyone who rides in my car comments on it, but I recommend all the M3 arms and bushings, and also Rogue or similar rear toe arms. I don't know if the M3 parts are as important with other suspension upgrades, but my car was still a little bouncy and loose until there were no more M3 parts left to add. Rear subframe bushings make the biggest difference, but the control arm bushings are necessary too for the car to feel right.

Also, FSDs are unique with their luxury ride but sports handling, and it seems most people either love them or hate them. So I recommend taking a ride with someone who has them so you can feel what they're like.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
At the same is it possible to buy PE springs separately? How much?
Tischer lists them here for $95 for front springs and $91 for the rears. You have to supply your VIN when ordering because they're available in several different spring rates depending on your car's weight.

I've never heard any info regarding what the spring rates actually are, or weather they are linear or progressive. I'd be interested to find out.
      04-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Tischer lists them here for $95 for front springs and $91 for the rears. You have to supply your VIN when ordering because they're available in several different spring rates depending on your car's weight.

I've never heard any info regarding what the spring rates actually are, or weather they are linear or progressive. I'd be interested to find out.
Sounds like a fair price. I would just hate if they are progressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
The BMW Performance springs on my car are linear. 160 lb/in front, 420 lb/in rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fireflyer:
I have BMWPS springs and Koni sports on my E90 and am very happy with the handling of my car! If you get PS springs seperate from the whole kit, make sure you get the bumpstops from the PS kit.
      04-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the useful input! I realize the BMWP kit is a great approach, but I've already installed a Hotchkis front anti-sway (2 years ago) making the bar in the kit redundant. I have the sport package equipped 128 so already have the rear bar too, though I realize the kit can be had with or without. I would rather use Bilstein or Koni dampers as opposed to the BMW only because I have it in my mind they'll hold up longer - and I understand this may be unfounded but as they say, a good deal is a state of mind. I realize the stiffer aftermarket front anti-sway probably contributed to my stock struts going limp after only 30K miles, but still I'd rather use one of the aftermarket brand of damper than the BMWP ones. Bilstein says their HD is perfectly compatible with the 10mm drop of the BMWP suspension. I'm considering the FSD's also! Dan at United is providing the correct coils and bump stops.

The M3 parts would be the next step if I feel the need, but at this time I'm also purchasing a set of Pilot Super Sports and BMWP aero nose, so I need to balance the spending.

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 04-11-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I don't have the BMW Performance springs, but I do have the Koni Sport adjustable dampers with a set of 2011 M Sport springs (the new linear ones) on my car and I really like the set up. The linear springs feel much better than the progressive M Sport springs that my car came with. I suspect that the BMW Performance springs and the Koni Sports would also be a nice set up as well.

I also have an M3 FSB and M3 control arms and tension rods. I'm very happy with the total set up now. I would have gone with the BMW Performance Springs, but I was afraid to lower my car since I have 19" Alufelgen SF-71 wheels. Prior to changing my shocks and springs I was having some rubbing issues when I went over large bumps or through bigger dips in the road.
      04-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
MA128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2013 128 Coupe  [0.00]
Hi Fireflyer,

I'm the guy who bought your OEM wheels and tires in 2009. How are you? Funny that I should see you on this thread because I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing - Koni FSD and linear springs that match my existing 10mm drop. My sport suspension (at 50,000 miles) is pretty sloppy now. Also have to add the M3 FSB and considering the M3 rear subframe bushings. Good luck to you!
      04-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
The BMW Performance springs on my car are linear. 160 lb/in front, 420 lb/in rear.
How did you get linear springs? Do you happen to have the part numbers? I have the performance springs as well but I don't think mine are linear. What kind of drop did you have? My car seems too low.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
How did you get linear springs? Do you happen to have the part numbers? I have the performance springs as well but I don't think mine are linear. What kind of drop did you have? My car seems too low.
Sorry, I don't have the part numbers. My installer ordered the springs. I remember he needed my VIN to order them.

The drop is very small, probably 10mm as promised.

My springs look like the ones in this post, with evenly spaced coils.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Hi Fireflyer,

I'm the guy who bought your OEM wheels and tires in 2009. How are you? Funny that I should see you on this thread because I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing - Koni FSD and linear springs that match my existing 10mm drop. My sport suspension (at 50,000 miles) is pretty sloppy now. Also have to add the M3 FSB and considering the M3 rear subframe bushings. Good luck to you!
Great to hear from you Paul, I hope all is well! I just need to make up my mind about which damper I'll use...something tells me the FSD is the wise choice, given the lumpy bumpy backroads I frequent, but since my factory sport pkg dampers have also gone limp, I'm craving firmness and responsiveness. Gonna pull the trigger this week, so I'd better make up my darn mind! Be well my friend!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Gary are you still running the FSD's? What is your driving style and what type of roads do you frequent? Do you experience good control and stability at higher speeds?
Appreciate 0