E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i or 330i?

03-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #23
BMerDRMer
BMerDRMer 2006 330 Xi Man ZPP ZSP CW NAV CA TiAg BlkLthr Burl 18in 162's
Rep
Drives: 06 330Xi Prem Sprt Win Nav CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
I'm driving a 2003 325i that I leased and it's done in May.
So, I've got to decide on my next car and put the order in by the end of this month.

I've been getting great prices on the E90 and with the lease rates things look really good.
I do have a dilema, sort of. Given the lease rates I can get into a
330i for not much more than a 325i, equally equipped.
Everything tells me to go with the 330i, but I'm not a fan of the large (read heavy) 18" wheels, although they look SWEET.

Oh well, it's not a bad problem to have.

But, I want a red 3 this time. I know most 3's are in subdued metallic colors, 325i is silver, but I want some color this time.
I'm thinking bright red with black interior.
Or, arctic with terra, or gray with terra.

Those of you who have the bright red or had it on their E46, how well does the flat red hold up? I find that bright red and silver hold on to looking clean the longest. I'm curious as to the quality of the bright red flat paint. Any experience?

T
My advice ....... if you want the 330 .. go test drive it you'll buy the 330 ...... if you want the 325, don't test drive the 330, and you will be very happy with the 325 ......... from experience .......!
      03-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I like the 325 E46 and didn't want the 330 as it was much too much price difference.
The E90 closes that gap quite a bit.
I'm more concerned about the performance difference if any at all.

The E46 325 with sport package is the same car as the 330 sport except for the more powerful engine and larger brakes, all else is the same.
The E90 pretty much follows this variant except that the engines are both 3.0 liters and mag tested performance shows them to be really close in performance.

So, I'm questioning the need for a 330, again. The price difference is not as high as before. However, what does the 330 sport do better than the 325 sport? When equipped with a manual and sport package the performance is even closer than ever before.

The question about the wheels is important in terms of everyday performance. 18's are heavier and given the run flats, the lower sidewall of the bigger wheel/tires could mean a harsher ride and slower accel, braking, and maybe even lower MPG in the real world.
Afterall, did the EPA use the 330 with the larger or smaller tires? We don't know. The sport package in both cars come with summer only performance tires. That's like before. It's a major oversight from BMW cause they sell a LOT of cars in areas where we have weather.
So, this means I have to get a new set of tires by the time October hits.
Tire options are pretty limited at this point for runflat 18's.
I'd like to just switch to standard tires and put in an inflation/patch kit.

I am not interested in a non sport so the comparison between a standard 325 to a 330 sport, or vice versa, is moot.
I guess I just don't believe the HP/torque numbers of the 325's 3.0 liter engine. I think it's underrated given it's excellent performance as rated by Car&Driver.

Oh well, I was just asking. But I should know better. Everytime someone asks something just for the fun of it or just to bring on a polite exchange of ideas, there are those that just want to turn everything question into an excuse to chastise and criticize. Look, if you don't have something to really contribute or say in a nice way, keep it to yourself.
There, that ought to piss them off even more.

T
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #25
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Comming from an e46 325i, I think an e90 325i will knock your socks off. You'll be losing a whole second off your 0-60 times.

Of course, if you can afford the 330i get it.

I couldn't, I got the 325i, and I love it!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #26
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

if you're leasing, and the 330i is not too much more, i would go for the 330i.
      03-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Comming from an e46 325i, I think an e90 325i will knock your socks off. You'll be losing a whole second off your 0-60 times.

Of course, if you can afford the 330i get it.

I couldn't, I got the 325i, and I love it!
I'm sure it will.
You know what sucks? Other than this thread?
I haven't found a single 325i with sport in the 3 dealers I've been to.
And, I haven't found a single 6 spd. manual in either a 325 or 330.
I'm sure their great, can't be worse than the E46, but I really do want to test drive a car configured mechanically like the one I want to order. Oh well.

t
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
if you're leasing, and the 330i is not too much more, i would go for the 330i.
Yup. That's what brought this on.
I was considering a purchase again, but those lease rates are too damn good.
Maybe if they have loan rates under 3%, I'll consider a purchase.
BMW gives 2.9% on their certified cars, go figure.

T
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #29
Bimmer_2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

The price difference between a compatible equiped 325i and 330i sport is only $3000. The $3000 buy you a bigger tire, bigger brake, more hp/tq and a 6.1 vs 6.7 0-60 time. To most people, 325i is adequate but to some, more is better.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #30
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
I'm sure it will.
You know what sucks? Other than this thread?
I haven't found a single 325i with sport in the 3 dealers I've been to.
And, I haven't found a single 6 spd. manual in either a 325 or 330.
I'm sure their great, can't be worse than the E46, but I really do want to test drive a car configured mechanically like the one I want to order. Oh well.

t
I felt the same way. I told my dealer and he ordered me one to test drive. He said "no obligation, what do you want on it".

I said Monaco Blue 325i with sport, cold weather, and xenon. I tracked it through production. It came in, I test drove it and declined to buy it. He said no problem, keep in touch.

I went back a month later. The car was still on the lot. He said he couldn't sell it, because it didn't have power seats.

I took it for $1000 over invoice flat.

WOOHOO!!!

Tell your concerns to the dealer and see what he'll do for you.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #31
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

Back in November, of more than 140 e90's in 4 Houston dealerships, 2 were equipped with manual, and neither were equipped with a sport package. I made the decision to buy what I did without actually test driving a car with both. I haven't looked back.

Have you looked at a Sonora (Wine Red Metallic) car? Just throwing it out there as an alternative to Electric Red.

I chose to go with a 325i because 1) the 330i isn't the fastest in its class anyway, and 2) if driving feel is the deciding factor in picking an e90 over the competition, the 325i has everything that the 330i has got. 3) My wife was going to be the primary driver, she thought the car was already fast enough, so who am I to argue.

By my impression the 330i pulls pretty hard from 2500rpm, where as the 325i doesn't really get going until about 3500. The 325i also seems to run out of steam past 6000, where I remember the 330i to keep going (this was on a Step car test drive).

You seem concerned about weight. If you choose to leave out the power seat option, the 325i is 132lb lighter than a 330i.

In terms of cost to own, you'd expect that the insurance on a 325i would be less than the more expensive 330i. The on board computer says I've averaged 26.8 mpg, you can check other threads to see what 330i owners see.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roppongicorolla
Back in November, of more than 140 e90's in 4 Houston dealerships, 2 were equipped with manual, and neither were equipped with a sport package. I made the decision to buy what I did without actually test driving a car with both. I haven't looked back.

Have you looked at a Sonora (Wine Red Metallic) car? Just throwing it out there as an alternative to Electric Red.

I chose to go with a 325i because 1) the 330i isn't the fastest in its class anyway, and 2) if driving feel is the deciding factor in picking an e90 over the competition, the 325i has everything that the 330i has got. 3) My wife was going to be the primary driver, she thought the car was already fast enough, so who am I to argue.

By my impression the 330i pulls pretty hard from 2500rpm, where as the 325i doesn't really get going until about 3500. The 325i also seems to run out of steam past 6000, where I remember the 330i to keep going (this was on a Step car test drive).

You seem concerned about weight. If you choose to leave out the power seat option, the 325i is 132lb lighter than a 330i.

In terms of cost to own, you'd expect that the insurance on a 325i would be less than the more expensive 330i. The on board computer says I've averaged 26.8 mpg, you can check other threads to see what 330i owners see.
Everything you say is right on.

Yes, I did see the barrique red, that's the metallic dark wine color.
It's ok in bright sunlight, but it's much too dark compared to the bright red. Every car I've tested lately I've just liked the solid red ones. I think I'm getting bored with all of the silver cars over the past 5 years. I still think the BMW silver is great, but that's what I have now. I do like the metallic dark gray too, and I'm sure it looks sweet with the terra interior.

I'm not really too worried about weight. It's just a small issue really.
If I was TRULY worried about weight, the biggest difference I could make would be to go on a diet and shave lbs.
I just don't relate to this larger wheel trend. Unsprung weight is much different than just removing weight from the car or the drivers. I think it's the combination of large wheels, short sidewalls, and runflats that has me concerned. I'd really like a dealer to let me have a loaner with that setup for a day so I could get a feel for how it handle/rides on the crappy roads of the Chicago area.
But the, it is a BMW, and in my view no body else can tune a suspension like they can, for daily drivers.

T
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #33
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I think you don't care much for extra performance. Get the 325.
why argue? 325 is meant for some people, while 330 is meant for some people.

thats why there are different model line-ups in every manufacturers.
Some just plain prefer 330 for its higher badge. it can be simple and ignorant as that.

test drive both and decide what you want. If you feel 330 isn't needed and won't suit your needs, get the 325. You'll be happy as hell with 325. Its a same car for christ's sake.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #34
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

I agree with this statement. 6.1 Seconds is neither here nor there. It isn't the fastest, compared to 'fast' cars. The 325 is not only adequate, its a quick car. Is it fast? NO, but i wouldn't say the 330 is fast either. When you compare it to the availablitly of all cars in the market, sure, the 330i, and 325i are considered fast, but who wants to compare it to trucks, station wagons, and grandma cars? When you compare it to G35, Corvettes, S4's, M3's, even Camaros it isn't "fast." So i felt the same way, whats the point in shelling extra $$$? May as well have a car that is in the same league as the 330 and save 6-8k (mine is stripped down 325. only thing i wish i had was xenons). Spend the money on simple mods like wheels, maybe exhaust, window tint, and a drop.) Out of that, the wheels are the most expensive, but those will be able to be sold on the open market anyway when you sell the car (just put the stock wheels back on). To me, it was either M3 or 325.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roppongicorolla

Appreciate 0