BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

02-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #67
bsm135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK
I think everyone has given their opinion. Which is exactly what you're after. Don't waste your money on a mod that you won't see a decent return for. If you want an all out track car, spend $8k on it and enjoy. If you don't, then get one of the tried and trusted options that will save you money and do what you're looking for. Simple.
The opinions I've gotten aren't what I was looking for. I was wanting some actual experience with them

I'm ok with spending 8k on suspension because I plan on keeping this car for a long time, I really don't need people telling me they think my spending that much is a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned, regardless of which way I go.

I don't like doing things everyone else has done mod wise. I want to maintain a degree of difference between my car and every other 135 out there. (Quite frankly it bores me, I'd rather do something a little unique) if no one ever pushes the envelope then how will the mod scene for this model continue to develop
No one has experience with either setup you mentioned.
You will probably be one of the only ones to have done it, should you do it.

I think most people on here are ripping on it, because they are different, and beyond the norm of what every other e82 owner does.

Most people haven't even heard of the brand (myself included), so there's no way you're going to get any real feedback.

Also just want to add, If you think every other 135 out there bores you, then wow. Lol. There are some highly modified ones out and about in Aus, and most of them are done right. So I can't personally see how having expensive coilovers are going to "differentiate" you from any other 135 out there.

If you're worried about this mod scene, the envelope is going to be pushed even further again, because in a few years time, when the prices come down on these cars even lower, every kid is going to want/have one and the whole scene is likely to turn to crap anyways.

But at the end of the day, you'll get some killer rep at downshift meets with those 8k coils. You'll have all those boys frothing all over them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #68
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

@BMWlady here is a thread of a 135i that was bagged in the US.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=bagged

You could probably PM him and get his thoughts on his setup. Bags wouldn't be the best on the track, but I think they would still be better than the stock suspension on these cars. As long as you add the supporting modifications.

Ridetech has been doing air bag suspension on muscle cars for a while now, and they have good results on the autocross tracks. The setup won't be near as good as a set of $8k coilovers though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #69
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

If you want to be different that's a silly reason - you might as well just paint it pink. MCA aren't pretty to look at either.

For performance at that level, it is the best you can get before you move to the Supercar stuff.

If you want opinions you should come to some track days who got Murray's suspensions.

There is only one 135 with MCA and it races in the AMC. You won't get opinions here.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #70
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK
I think everyone has given their opinion. Which is exactly what you're after. Don't waste your money on a mod that you won't see a decent return for. If you want an all out track car, spend $8k on it and enjoy. If you don't, then get one of the tried and trusted options that will save you money and do what you're looking for. Simple.
The opinions I've gotten aren't what I was looking for. I was wanting some actual experience with them

I'm ok with spending 8k on suspension because I plan on keeping this car for a long time, I really don't need people telling me they think my spending that much is a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned, regardless of which way I go.

I don't like doing things everyone else has done mod wise. I want to maintain a degree of difference between my car and every other 135 out there. (Quite frankly it bores me, I'd rather do something a little unique) if no one ever pushes the envelope then how will the mod scene for this model continue to develop
No one has experience with either setup you mentioned.
You will probably be one of the only ones to have done it, should you do it.

I think most people on here are ripping on it, because they are different, and beyond the norm of what every other e82 owner does.

Most people haven't even heard of the brand (myself included), so there's no way you're going to get any real feedback.

Also just want to add, If you think every other 135 out there bores you, then wow. Lol. There are some highly modified ones out and about in Aus, and most of them are done right. So I can't personally see how having expensive coilovers are going to "differentiate" you from any other 135 out there.

If you're worried about this mod scene, the envelope is going to be pushed even further again, because in a few years time, when the prices come down on these cars even lower, every kid is going to want/have one and the whole scene is likely to turn to crap anyways.

But at the end of the day, you'll get some killer rep at downshift meets with those 8k coils. You'll have all those boys frothing all over them.
I've been to downshift once? So that's a very odd comment for you to make

MCA have said they have done a 1er
Hence why I asked

Everything I'm wanting to do will be different, regardless of which way I go it's going to be mostly custom mods so there's that
Don't get me wrong there are some awesome 135's in Aus (Froop's and Vinnie's for example) but everyone does much the same mods as everyone else, it's become the norm to be FBO + CSL lip/splitters etc, it's boring. I really don't care about my car looking cool so much as achieving my end goal with it

Hence why I asked about suspension which isn't exactly "pretty".
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #71
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
If you want to be different that's a silly reason - you might as well just paint it pink. MCA aren't pretty to look at either.

For performance at that level, it is the best you can get before you move to the Supercar stuff.

If you want opinions you should come to some track days who got Murray's suspensions.

There is only one 135 with MCA and it races in the AMC. You won't get opinions here.
I've realized that, but there are a couple of 130's kicking round with MCA apparently too?

I've spoken directly with them and will likely be engaging them for a serious discussion regarding it, so it isn't a problem, I had a squiz at some of their work at WTAC, it was impressive.

As I've already said, I don't care about looks, I want to do what is best to achieve the goals I set with the car
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #72
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

If you are going to spend that sort of money make sure it gets some action.

The suspension job is to make the tyres efficient - ie you really need to define the purpose of the car, then select your shoes before suspension can happen. You can't set up the suspension for every tyre.

Also, be careful when chasing the best. Where are you going to stop? TTX36 will give you a silkier ride than MCA gold for an extra 5k; if you go with TTX46/40 they will be 5k corner plus set up for 0.5 seconds a lap with ball bearing bushings.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #73
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Go for bags It's not just as simple as saying 'Accuair' though because you can use the Accuair management with a variety of other air kits. I.e you can have a Bag Riders or Airrex kit (the physical suspension components) and use Accuair for the suspension and air management. Looking at the Accuair site, the kit they have listed for 1/3 series is the D2 kit which is actually what I have in my car. Didn't even realise Accuair was selling the D2 stuff straight off their site lol... I got my D2 kit and management separately. Also there are different levels of Accuair management, the one you want is VU4 elevel w/ touchpad.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #74
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd135 View Post
you can already find them very affordably/cheaply, it's a year or two tops until the modding community gets their hands on them widespread imo. You can already find 135's for mid 30's sometimes, and 335's for mid 20's (07 no oil cooler auto high km usually though)

The 1er/3er turbo mod scene is years behind that of the states as it is though. I think there are a few going single turbo here somewhere? hopefully someone will start matching them in 1/4 times haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

i think they look pretty :P.. maybe my view is skewed by the performance though.

what's the supercar stuff? that ohlinx TX? I do wonder why the teams with high 6 figure budgets/unlimited go for MCA over the ohlins then :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Also, be careful when chasing the best. Where are you going to stop? TTX36 will give you a silkier ride than MCA gold for an extra 5k; if you go with TTX46/40 they will be 5k corner plus set up for 0.5 seconds a lap with ball bearing bushings.
i wonder why the top tier teams here haven't gone the ohlins over the MCA stuff.. the local support i guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Go for bags It's not just as simple as saying 'Accuair' though because you can use the Accuair management with a variety of other air kits. I.e you can have a Bag Riders or Airrex kit (the physical suspension components) and use Accuair for the suspension and air management. Looking at the Accuair site, the kit they have listed for 1/3 series is the D2 kit which is actually what I have in my car. Didn't even realise Accuair was selling the D2 stuff straight off their site lol... I got my D2 kit and management separately. Also there are different levels of Accuair management, the one you want is VU4 elevel w/ touchpad.
are there other physical bag kits that direct bolt on with 1ers?

is the D2 kit decent otherwise?.. and yeah, would definitely go for the e-level.. it's not THAT much more expensive, and it's that much better looking/to use haha

ED: I really am surprised that people here haven't heard of either accuair or MCA... accuair has been dominating all the big name car shows for a few years now, there's supposedly no better management system.. and MCA has dominated the timeattack scene for the past few years now... though i guess if you don't look at anything slightly 'JDM' and given they only really sell to the japanese (subie/toyobaru) crowd/racers

My thoughts are bags for sure.. unless it's going to be a track car, or tracked often, why sacrifice the comfort, ADDED practicality, looks...

Last edited by flinchy; 02-27-2014 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #75
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post

That's the problem, nobody here has experience with them (and for a very good reason, which people have tried to tell you).

And there is a difference between maintaining a 'degree' of difference, and 180 degrees difference. Spending $8k on something just to be different? If that's what you want to do, then go for it. But nobody is going to know any better unless you happen to be lapping 0.5seconds faster than everyone and they wonder why
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #76
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK
Quote:

That's the problem, nobody here has experience with them (and for a very good reason, which people have tried to tell you).

And there is a difference between maintaining a 'degree' of difference, and 180 degrees difference. Spending $8k on something just to be different? If that's what you want to do, then go for it. But nobody is going to know any better unless you happen to be lapping 0.5seconds faster than everyone and they wonder why
Read flinchy's comment above
It sums up my response perfectly

these are big name suspension brands, it isn't like I'm asking if someone has used some small shop and it'll be the first time they've done it

It has been done
As you can see by sbce90's post
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #77
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Read flinchy's comment above
It sums up my response perfectly

these are big name suspension brands, it isn't like I'm asking if someone has used some small shop and it'll be the first time they've done it

It has been done
As you can see by sbce90's post
Hey ,I've told you if you want high end coilovers for mostly street you should get the ohlins (road and track) lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #78
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I don't want the ohlins
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #79
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
what's the supercar stuff? that ohlinx TX? I do wonder why the teams with high 6 figure budgets/unlimited go for MCA over the ohlins then :/

i wonder why the top tier teams here haven't gone the ohlins over the MCA stuff.. the local support i guess?
Only if you are referring to local time attack and sprints. For race teams, it is not always MCA especially teams with their own suspension engineer.

Murray is more than only a shock supplier. You let him know what absolute spring rates your tyres need, the spring rates you are going to use, your corner weights and geometry, and he will make one up for you with a very fast shock with almost the right valving first time round. So you are not buying their suspension, but also their expertise.

With a set of Ohlins, someone needs to tune it, get the right valving etc for it to be optimal. Ohlins TTX36 is starting at $2k a corner - and that is just for the shocks alone - no tuning, mounting or spring to go with it.

In Murray's words when I asked what's the difference between MCA and Ohlins, he said, "not much really apart from the price, but the Ohlins are very nice ... I can see why someone have a BMW will want to Ohlins ... at the end you are writing the cheque so you can have whatever you want"

V8 Supercars can only use Ohlins TTX40 or Sachs (can't remember what model) for their cars for control. A step up from that is the Ohlins TTR.

If you guys know Josh personally, just speak to him about the differences. I am no expert in suspension, just know enough so I pick the right product or person to help me with mine.

*** MCA used to be Proflex Australia and deal mainly with rallying due to Murray's experience in rallying. He slowly improves on the Proflex part by part until one day no part was Proflex anymore and MCA was born.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #80
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
y

is the D2 kit decent otherwise?.. and yeah, would definitely go for the e-level.. it's not THAT much more expensive, and it's that much better looking/to use haha
Yeah most likely. Keep in mind none of them are for real track/performance use or anything but just search it. D2/Airrex/Bag Riders/Air Force/Airtekk etc.. Are you planning on install yourself? I had accuair installed after I had my bags installed and it cost around 3k.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #81
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90
Quote:
y

Yeah most likely. Keep in mind none of them are for real track/performance use or anything but just search it. D2/Airrex/Bag Riders/Air Force/Airtekk etc.. Are you planning on install yourself? I had accuair installed after I had my bags installed and it cost around 3k.
Tbh if I got bags I wouldn't do a DIY install so either way a shop will be setting it up
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #82
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Tbh if I got bags I wouldn't do a DIY install so either way a shop will be setting it up
fair enough, I had a shop do mine.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread