BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
N55darksoul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 135i

Anyone have any opinions on the other tunes out there versus the PPK? Are they safe or do they run the car too lean? Definitely don't want that...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #24
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55darksoul View Post
Anyone have any opinions on the other tunes out there versus the PPK? Are they safe or do they run the car too lean? Definitely don't want that...
The Dinan tune is pretty mild, but pricey.

You'll see a lot of suggestions for a MHD flash because its so easy to do and very customizable.

I'm actually in the same boat of determining which tune to go with. I'd like to go with Dinan, but a MHD flash is less than a third of the cost
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post

You'll see a lot of suggestions for a MHD flash because its so easy to do and very customizable.

I'm actually in the same boat of determining which tune to go with. I'd like to go with Dinan, but a MHD flash is less than a third of the cost
The OP has a 2012 so he might require a bench flash to get MHD.

Quote:
Vehicle equipped with a MEVD1726 DME (built dating from around 03-2012) need a once time DME removal and bench flash to allow OBD flashing.

Q: How can I determine if the DME is directly flashable or needs a one time bench flash?

A: got to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in serial number. Click Browse parts the ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM and check both CONTROL UNITS > MEVD1726 section. If it says "No parts found matching your car." you have a MEVD172 which is directly flashable.
      06-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #26
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post

The OP has a 2012 so he might require a bench flash to get MHD.

Quote:
Vehicle equipped with a MEVD1726 DME (built dating from around 03-2012) need a once time DME removal and bench flash to allow OBD flashing.

Q: How can I determine if the DME is directly flashable or needs a one time bench flash?

A: got to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in serial number. Click Browse parts the ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM and check both CONTROL UNITS > MEVD1726 section. If it says "No parts found matching your car." you have a MEVD172 which is directly flashable.
Goood point, totally forgot about that lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #27
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I have the Dinan Stage 2 tune and it is expensive compared to MHD, but I'm happy with it and any 135i can get a Dinan flash by an authorized Dinan dealer or indy shop. Or you can flash it yourself with their DIY kit for the N55.

Check here for more info:

https://www.dinancars.com/products/?...bodytype=Coupe
      06-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #28
N55darksoul
Private First Class
Rep

Does BMW not do the Dinan or do any flashes anymore?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does BMW not do the Dinan or do any flashes anymore?
Yes, there are BMW dealers that are Dinan authorized dealers. If you check Dinan's website under "Dealer" it will tell you all the shops and BMW dealers that are Dinan authorized in your area, just plug in your zip code.
      06-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #30
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Sorry to threadcap a bit but is a tune an option on the is? Is it worth 'replacing' the ppk2 tune and can it be done with no other hardware mods?

I think I'm going to keep my is completely stock but... you never know
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #31
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
I got my 135is for $22k in 2016 with 35k miles. Convertible.

Compared to other 135i on the market, it was comparable in price... it just happened to have that limited edition feel and it's got all the extra bells and whistles at stock. I prefer it.

The drone is real though. Especially in a DCT on the freeway. If you're in the right rpm (which it almost always is in!) and top up then it gets hella damn loud. Booming drone.

Used to annoy the shit out of me but now I just accept it and have the top down 100%. Can't hear it or any of the creaks or rattles the car makes either. Hah!

Also, the PE exhaust is stupidly loud. In cabin/car, it's good but your neighbors will absolutely hate you. I didn't really know how loud it was until me and my SO left in separate cars and she told me that it's obscenely loud compared to what it's like in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #32
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post

Compared to other 135i on the market, it was comparable in price... it just happened to have that limited edition feel and it's got all the extra bells and whistles at stock. I prefer it.

The drone is real though. Especially in a DCT on the freeway. If you're in the right rpm (which it almost always is in!) and top up then it gets hella damn loud. Booming drone.

Used to annoy the shit out of me but now I just accept it and have the top down 100%. Can't hear it or any of the creaks or rattles the car makes either. Hah!

Also, the PE exhaust is stupidly loud. In cabin/car, it's good but your neighbors will absolutely hate you. I didn't really know how loud it was until me and my SO left in separate cars and she told me that it's obscenely loud compared to what it's like in the car.
That was a good deal, I just paid a little more than that for a coupe with 50k miles. I prob got ripped off but whatever the car is perfect and they are getting harder and harder to find.

I haven't heard the exhaust from outside my car while driving yet -- but its really very quiet inside imo. Of course I did have a Mini S before this which is a super loud car inside. 6 speed makes it easy for me to keep the RPM's in a non-drone zone.

BTW you ever frequent the Anandtech garage forum?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post

Yeah, I have the DCT as well and like I said earlier in this thread, I just downshift to eliminate drone. I always drive the car in manual mode anyway and that works fine for me as far as drone goes.

The PE is known to be one of the quieter exhausts for the 135i from what I've read. Sometimes I wish it were louder. Have had it on my car since 2011 so maybe I've gotten used to it over the years. Oh well, to each their own, I guess. lol
      06-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #34
N55darksoul
Private First Class
Rep

My production date is 05/16/2011 you guys mentioned a bench flash vs just a flash for the 2012. Remind me what that is? Is it a physical in person flash like a Dinan dealer through BMW versus a computer plug in DIY?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #35
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My production date is 05/16/2011 you guys mentioned a bench flash vs just a flash for the 2012. Remind me what that is? Is it a physical in person flash like a Dinan dealer through BMW versus a computer plug in DIY?
Because you have an early 2012 1er you don't need a bench flash, which means you can flash MHD through your OBD2 port if you want.

Read more about MHD here ---->>> http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318862
      06-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
Sorry to threadcap a bit but is a tune an option on the is? Is it worth 'replacing' the ppk2 tune and can it be done with no other hardware mods?

I think I'm going to keep my is completely stock but... you never know
If you wanted MHD you would have to get a bench flash because you have the newer DME.

You could get the Dinan Stage 2 flash though. Some 135is owners did and are happy with it as far as I know. MGM135is got the Dinan tune. Maybe he'll read this and chime in.
      06-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #37
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

Can you go straight to Dinan stage 3 with a 135is? It has upgraded exhaust and additional oil cooling. Is this possible because I may be trading in my 135i with stage 2 for a 135is and I want more haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #38
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Don't forget BPC has a cable, they even have a thread regarding it on the forum for late 135i/is.

Active Autowerke is also working on a cable but they couldn't give an estimated production date.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #39
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Can you go straight to Dinan stage 3 with a 135is? It has upgraded exhaust and additional oil cooling. Is this possible because I may be trading in my 135i with stage 2 for a 135is and I want more haha.
Here's a thread that talks about Dinan stage 3 and what you need as far as hardware goes to run the software flash. Go to page 4 if you don't want to read all of it.
      06-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #40
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
If you wanted MHD you would have to get a bench flash because you have the newer DME.

You could get the Dinan Stage 2 flash though. Some 135is owners did and are happy with it as far as I know. MGM135is got the Dinan tune. Maybe he'll read this and chime in.
I feel the Stage 2 is definitely worth it especially with the reduced price.

I would love to do Stage 3 but $ per HP ratio just doesn't add up in my book. You need a bigger oil cooler and intercooler. The price of the tune itself is cheap since you just pay the difference between the Stage 2 and Stage 3 cost (about $110). Last I checked, it would be like $2800 plus labor to get it done. The Dinan rep I spoke to also said I could just install the Stage 3 tune but they wouldn't provide a warranty since it would be running outside their specs.

You could maybe source less expensive non-dinan oil cooler/intercooler parts, but I didn't go that far. If the parts ever go on a deep sale, I might consider it.

But as far as Stage 2 is concerned, it works flawlessly/like OEM and you essentially get M2 power (about 10hp less but 30tq more) out of your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #41
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Yes.

Keep in mind with DINAN stage 3, according to the emails they sent me, the DME has to be pulled and bench flashed unlike the Stage 2 tune.

From Grant at Dinan back in March:

"Hello Buddy,

Those locked down ecu’s are on the F Chassis cars so you don’t have to worry being on the E chassis.

At that power level I would say you would be okay on the DCT clutches, just don’t go crazy launching the car at every stop you can.

You would have to go into the dealer to go to stage 3 as the DIY kit doesn’t allow for anything but stage 2 out of the box.
Hope this helps, any further questions let me know.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager"
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #42
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yes.

Keep in mind with DINAN stage 3, according to the emails they sent me, the DME has to be pulled and bench flashed unlike the Stage 2 tune.

From Grant at Dinan back in March:

"Hello Buddy,

Those locked down ecu's are on the F Chassis cars so you don't have to worry being on the E chassis.

At that power level I would say you would be okay on the DCT clutches, just don't go crazy launching the car at every stop you can.

You would have to go into the dealer to go to stage 3 as the DIY kit doesn't allow for anything but stage 2 out of the box.
Hope this helps, any further questions let me know.

Thanks,

Grant Efland
Account Manager"
Sort of confusing because you say "Keep in mind with DINAN stage 3, according to the emails they sent me, the DME has to be pulled and bench flashed unlike the Stage 2 tune," but in the actual email it says "You would have to go into the dealer to go to stage 3," which isn't a bench flash. That's the typical way to get a Dinan tune, by going to an authorized Dinan dealer and having the software flashed. The stage 2 DIY kit is something different and more recent for the N55 135i/135is.

Edit: Also, here's what Dinan said in a post here on the forum and what my indy shop wrote to me in an email about going stage 3 without the required oil cooler and intercooler upgrades:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=71

Last edited by Esteban; 06-19-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #43
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

I didn't think it was confusing:

Stage 2 = DIY
Stage 3, regardless if you already have Stage 2, you still have to go to a DINAN dealer.

Sorry I didn't put DINAN on there, I thought it was understood. Lo siento.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #44
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I didn't think it was confusing:

Stage 2 = DIY
Stage 3, regardless if you already have Stage 2, you still have to go to a DINAN dealer.

Sorry I didn't put DINAN on there, I thought it was understood. Lo siento.
The two statements that I quoted from you in my post above are conflicting. That's where the confusion comes from. It has nothing to do with leaving the word "DINAN" out.

Pulling the DME and having it bench flashed is not the same thing as taking your car to a Dinan authorized dealer and having them flash the software to your car.

No biggie, just a misunderstanding and no apology necessary.