BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

Hey, a couple of questions for owners

I need a few opinions or viewpoints from current or past owners of the 1M, and any given is highly appreciated.

While I am finding my current 6speed 'is coupe to be an extremely satisfying purchase, recent life developments have made my priorities change quite a bit. I know that, someday, I would wind up selling my 'is, and depreciation is a pain.

I currently own an S54 Z3 M coupe that is my dream car. I like knowing that I'll never sell her. When I drive her, I don't worry about future values. I do, though, time from time do do with my 'is because it doesn't provide for me the same satisfaction of ownership.

The only car currently that I feel would be offering similar contentment to that of my M is the 1M. I did not pick it up because I didn't want to pay the premium. Again, life has changed, future plans altered, and I've decided that it'd be worth it just to own a car I don't worry about future pricing on, and can just enjoy the driving experience.

So, I'm intending to pick up a lower mileage VO 1M with no intention of selling it.

My questions are-

1) Premium package is a must, I feel. My 'is has spoiled me with it for DDing. What are your thoughts? What negatives, if any, does this package cause?

2) My 'is lacks the tech package. I like the lack of nav screen, but this has caused some issue for DDing while selecting music, and whatnot. I've decided I do want this. Same thoughts are asked for as above.

3) Any other things to look out for? Any other thoughts you think I should know about or feel should be said?

Thanks for any responses.

-Jeff
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Just my opinion but I am of the belief that the cars with minimal or no options will be worth more in the long-run. I have not followed the market super-closely but it seems that buyers have little or no preference to options currently. I should preface that I own a "loaded" 1M (does not have HK for some reason).

1) I certainly don't think it is a must, but bluetooth is great for a DD, definitely my favorite option. Also, power seats and lumbar support are great, but I don't think they are absolutely necessary. Some will argue that the power seats add weight and how that takes away from the "experience", which is true but negligible at best. So really it depends on what you want. Having lived with bluetooth, I couldn't own a car without it (for phone calls, but mostly for streaming audio).

2) Not worth the $$ on the options sheet, IMO. I never use the navigation. It is nice to see the songs I am playing (through bluetooth 98% of the time) on the screen but not imperative, and certainly not worth $2700 when new. Comfort access is nice to have.

3) Good luck. I think if you are going to be picky about options you will spend a lot of time searching/waiting for the "right" car. I had no preference when I purchased mine (second hand, but over two years ago), happened to find a loaded example and have been very happy with it. That said, I would be happy with any configuration of the 1M.

Also, the 1M will likely depreciate slower than average but I think the market is at or near a peak right now which will almost certainly not hold. So the mindset of yours that the car won't depreciate is likely not true and really a poor reason to buy a car IMO. Who knows what the market will think of the 1M long term. But a car that had such a short production run and low production numbers is a safe bet for less than average depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

congratulations! What a neat thing to be in the position of owning two of one's " dream cars"......

I understand what you are saying about no depreciation.... as you never intend to sell it.

my only question... what will you drive on bad weather days?

It seems that many cars came loaded with options to the 54K max price.... and some owners ordered " stripper" models with little to no options.. Mine was the latter. for me... I added USB and heated seats only.

The biggest option I think you may want to search for is bluetooth.

the premium package includes this and DOES allow for bluetooth playback from your phone/ipod.

In Cars without this, one can send sound via the AUX input, or even better via the USB. The USB allows me to see screen titles, select songs etc. From my iphone, It can play Pandora or I Tunes, accept phone calls over the handsfree, and also map directions are announced over the stereo (with muting of music). Since I did not want the power seats of the premium package... the USB input is all I really want/need.

Oddly... my iphone will blue tooth map directions as well as requests for SIRI to the car audio right from the phone (when it is not connected to the USB.) but it will not do music. I believe vehicles with the premium package have either a hard drive or buffer that allows the music to be transmitted via bluetooth.

the premium package seats with power do reduce headroom. The seats are simply taller due to the motor under the seat. So if you intend to track the car or if you are very tall, you might take this into account. IF you are ok with the nav screen... headroom is probably the biggest reason NOT to order the premium package.

I think more than likely, if the premium package is a must for you.. ... your choice will be made... most cars with the premium package were loaded with all options.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-07-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post

Also, the 1M will likely depreciate slower than average but I think the market is at or near a peak right now which will almost certainly not hold.
This has been the dominate opinion since late 2011. The economics have not changed enough to objectively point to a specific factor that would cause this to happen. The F90 M3/M4 are now being delivered and can be ordered, there has not been a drop in price. Perhaps the M2 will cause one but there is certainly no direct evidence right now to support that opinion. Lower milage non-modified 1Ms are only getting more rare. I expect that to remain the driving factor in their resale value.

There are a couple parts of the premium package that I didn't think I wanted until I used them.

They are as follows:

Memory seat (LOVE IT)
Bluetooth - Streaming audio is great and the phone integration works very well

Things I thought were a waste in the convince package but I will have on every car I buy for street use moving forward:

Rear Park Assist (I am totally spoiled by this)
Comfort Access

Other things that are great features of the car:

The ability to store CDs on the internal drive. - Not sure if this requires HK or not but its freaking awesome.

In my opinion I wouldn't shy away from a fully loaded 1M. Just like women, they are still crazy amounts of fun to put through the paces even though they are just a little heavier than the strippers.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies, guys. In the theoretical and hypothetical situation I'm describing, depreciation doesn't really even matter. I just brought it up because I don't know how to get to the point quickly. I also left out the critical point of the matter, which is that the person involved may only have 2-5 years to enjoy the act of driving for some reason.

Thanks again!
-Jeff
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Do it! Since you are thinking it is a forever car, get the options you want. Given availability, the right car at the right price might dictate the options you get! I ordered mine, and I got all the options. No regrets whatsoever. Even though it is not a DD, many of the features mentioned enhance the experience for me when I do drive it. The weight argument amazes me. I would reinforce that theory by saying I would probably opt against power seats, but they were packaged with things I wanted. I will discredit that theory by saying there are drivers of "strippers" that weigh 30lbs more than drivers of loaded cars...in other words, it is negligible. If it were unsprung weight, there would be merit IMO.
      04-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

Haha, to offset the power seats, I'll just become anorexic. Boom, and solved.

The funny thing about the market recently is that 3k odometer readings go for the same amount as 12-20k odo counts. Regardless of options. The 1M market it silly. Right now, since the added weight won't be an issue, as I don't compete, I'm on the fully loaded side.

I just thought of whether there is a list of VINs available to see where a model fits in the production line (# of ###.) Imma gonna go look for that ( I'll use the search feature or stickies tab, so don't worry about telling me to do so, ha) but feel free to post a link if you know one off hand.

I was going to just wait for a M2, but then it smacked me - why would I buy an M2 if I don't even slightly want a M235i? Thanks, brain!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
All i know is that I might buy a USA 1M considering that the Canadian versions are selling for $70000+ PLUS our 13% tax
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
:

In my opinion I wouldn't shy away from a fully loaded 1M. Just like women, they are still crazy amounts of fun to put through the paces even though they are just a little heavier than the strippers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
This has been the dominate opinion since late 2011. The economics have not changed enough to objectively point to a specific factor that would cause this to happen. The F90 M3/M4 are now being delivered and can be ordered, there has not been a drop in price. Perhaps the M2 will cause one but there is certainly no direct evidence right now to support that opinion. Lower milage non-modified 1Ms are only getting more rare. I expect that to remain the driving factor in their resale value....
Yeah, I've been tracking used 1M prices for a bit now (potential buyer) and I tend to agree with you.

Maybe the market will see a slight dip when some leases expire... and maybe again when the M2 is released - but overall I'm predicting buyers won't be able to get the 1M experience with the new M2, and prices won't depreciate.

Or at least, they won't depreciate nearly as much as used E9X M3s have, or even the Z4 M coupe. The 1M will most likely keep appreciating in resale or follow the Z3 M coupe, where low milage S54s are still going for $40k+ even 15 years later...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #11
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep

$40k Z3M coupes are a rarity to see actually sell. But there have been a few. The market has started to slim down to a point where the good ones are almost gone, and average examples are starting to shimmy up the price list.

I expect the 1M trading price to slip after the M2 is announced, a little further when its "successor" is released, a quick increase in value for good 1M examples, and then stabilize at a level a little less than they are now.

I think I'm just going to jump on it. I honestly don't care about market value since I don't like owning cars I know I'll sell. I'll kick myself if the value plummets, which it will as soon as I buy one ( you're welcome, guys who need it to ), but I'll get over it.

Packages, and unmolested are my requirements. I'll just wind up swapping out speakers and amps anyway, so HK audio isn't worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

in any shape, its brilliant.