BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Upgrading a turbo car for dummies

So I have been reading threads here and N54 tech trying to figure out the best course of upgrades. I have gotten so many different directions "typical when asking friends" on what to do.

So I figure I post a thread here and further confuse myself. Here are the questions based on using the car for 80% Daily Drive, 19% back roads fun and 1% track (IE 1 track day a year maybe).

Car 1M

*Please correct me if I am saying something wrong as this is my first turbo car and still learning all the little tricks / terms.*

1. Front Mounted Intercooler (FMIC)
a. Which is better bar and plate or Fin?
b. How much does end take design play into air flow (comments so far are 50/50 on does, doesn't)
-- *charge pipes pre and post FMIC worth changing?
c. How to figure out which FMIC will provide the least lag for increased cooling.
Choice(s) so far - ETC or Hilux based on comments. (not sold on the step design as my logic says a step will cause lag as the airflow is not straight through. Again that is just off looks)

2. Charge pipe (after FMIC)
1. What air cut off system is the best (IE BOV or stock divert valve)
a. no clue on if this is going to help or should be changed as I thought I read the aftermarket ones come off?
b. I do not want the woosh sound so stock divert valve best correct?
Choice so far - NO CLUE

3. Software
a. Been told GIAC stage ones is the best with the above mentioned and for longevity of the car.
Choice so far - Giac. (the cobb units I keep reading have faults or are those older threads)

4. Down pipe
Leaving alone cause already have one car that is a pain to smog
5. Mid pipes
Easy one I guess, Mad Dadd seems to be a good choice
6. Muffler
Eisenmann E82 1M Coupe - Cause I run the Race E46 one on my car and love it but the price is GULP.
That is all I got for Turbo side. Thank you for any help or laughter I might have provided for those who are like geesh noobie.

Side question. Anyone run a UUC short shifter on their 1M? or that does not fit?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

IMHO you have it correct but your order is wrong.

1) Software - Easiest bang for the buck upgrade
2) Downpipes
3) FMIC
4) Mid pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

1.) Go with bar & plate and cast end-tanks. The end-tanks DO effect pressure drop and velocity, as well as how well the air is dispersed through the core. HPF, AMS, Helix are all good.

2.) If you aren't going to run lots of extra boost and/or methanol/water injection, just stay stock. You might like Forge Diverter Valves. If you are going to upgrade or run meth, go for Evolution Racewerks or CP-E charge-pipe with a pre-welded bung.

3.) I personally have used Cobb and JB4 on my 1M. Cobb is very easy to flash through the OBII, is good price and is constantly getting updates. Plus, with the release of the Tuning software, you can go to an authorized Cobb Tuner and have your car adjusted to your mods, with Dyno Traces to prove the results. JB4 is a GREAT methanol injection/nitrous controller.

4.) When you are ready to get down-pipes look at AR Design or CP-E.

5.) MadDad is fine. I also like CP-E and Berk.

6.) I'm undecided about this. I'd rather get catless down-pipes and mid-pipes before changing the muffler.

Be sure to read a lot and look for real info and data. Enjoy your 1M!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

Sorry forgot two things.

1. Was not the upgrade order. More of a question on each item I am looking at.

2. Intake, Will the AFE stag 2 SI (sealed one) kill the lowed power? Only other sealed on is grouppeM which is a arm and a leg.

What is thoughts on Sparco. I got a guy on N54 trying to sell me one.

Thanks for those who replied.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
1. Front Mounted Intercooler (FMIC)
a. Which is better bar and plate or Fin?
b. How much does end take design play into air flow (comments so far are 50/50 on does, doesn't)
-- *charge pipes pre and post FMIC worth changing?
c. How to figure out which FMIC will provide the least lag for increased cooling.
a. No idea.
b. Not really
c. You can't. But I think all aftermarket FMICs perform comparably in that regard.

Quote:
2. Charge pipe (after FMIC)
1. What air cut off system is the best (IE BOV or stock divert valve)
a. no clue on if this is going to help or should be changed as I thought I read the aftermarket ones come off?
b. I do not want the woosh sound so stock divert valve best correct?
a. Diverter valves can pop off the stock charge pipe. Aftermarket charge pipes can help here.
b. Diverter valves are best since they don't cause potentially damaging turbo stall.

When increasing boost, aftermarket DVs might be necessary since they may open by itself under pressure otherwise.

Forge DVs are popular (I have them).

Quote:
4. Down pipe
Leaving alone cause already have one car that is a pain to smog
Almost the biggest bang for the buck though... Also in California it's 6 years no smog (I think?). So you'll be good for a long time.

Quote:
5. Mid pipes
Easy one I guess, Mad Dadd seems to be a good choice
Mid pipes house secondary cats. So removing mid-pipes will cause smog issues too - if that's what you're concerned about. Also much less HP gains than downpipes.

Quote:
Side question. Anyone run a UUC short shifter on their 1M? or that does not fit?
I don't have a 1M, so can't comment on fitment.
Have the UUC short shifter on my 135i though and really like it!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Diverter valves can cause compressor surge. Any bypass valve can. Recirculating does not decrease chances of compressor surge. Buying a high quality part does.

Tial Q, HKS SSQV, Synapse Syncronic will all work properly and will not cause compressor surge. They are vent to atmosphere.

Second thing, Bar and Plate IS better in this scenario. End-tanks definitely DO make a difference in intercooler efficiency and pressure-drop. This is fact, not my opinion.

I don't want to come off as a douche-bag or anything, I just don't want people to think that you get compressor surge from venting your bypass valve to atmosphere, and I don't want people thinking that end-tank design does not effect an air-to-air intercooler's efficiency. Not all intercoolers are created equal. Same for anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
I have a UCC short shifter in my E36 M3 and like it better than the stock setup in that car, but I think the 1M is fine the way it is.
Appreciate 0