Closed Thread

12-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #111
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
I will be first in line for one of these.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #112
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I will be in just because of the Dual Clutch..
      12-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #113
BarbeRouge
Life is short
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
Id be in for this... just please get rid of the big eye headlights. I love the car as it is now too but the headlights takes some getting used to. I only have one wish for the M 1series. That they make it with the original e30 M3 in mind. Slight widebody, light and aggresive.
+1 The 1 series always gets me excited, until I see the headlights, then I'm like WTF.

BUT, BMW is doing a lot of great things right now, and theres plenty to get excited about. IT's a good time to be a BMW fan.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #114
mixxer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi

Needs carbon fiber roof also!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #115
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa34 View Post
+1 The 1 series always gets me excited, until I see the headlights, then I'm like WTF.

BUT, BMW is doing a lot of great things right now, and theres plenty to get excited about. IT's a good time to be a BMW fan.
LOL bmw is putting those headlights on EVERYTHING, the new 5 has it, the new facelifted 3 has it, the next 3 will have it

I guess they really thought everyone loved those headlights on the 1 series
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #116
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Sounds awesome on paper, but how accurate is EVO is yet to be determined.
I'll take 50k loaded 400hp 1M please (with warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
This new M1 sounds like a little beast!! In power terms it sounds like a 135i with JB3 pumping out an extra 100hp and 100nm torque but it has less weight too!!

400bhp and 370lb ft of torque and 70kg less weight??

That's amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #117
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

Lower center of gravity - check
and it's gonna contribute to 70kg weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer View Post
Needs carbon fiber roof also!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #118
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Okay the stock 135i suspension has to go but item by item

I really doubt that,

M3 LSD > Quailfe LSD (Reason: Dedicated aftermarket LSD can't be worse off than OEM mass produced LSD)

M3 Suspension > KW3 + Upgraded Anti-roll and Arms (Reason: many DE M3 driver upgrade their precious suspension)

Maybe with all the mods you are within few thousand of factory build but the point is you dont have to wait. You can get close to 70kg with a stripper.

I am still on the side line for the new baby M, if its the same N54 engine forget it, I am getting the new Cayman in 2 years and if not I will wait a year and see if any major problems surfaces on this M.

Coilovers != suspension. Amazing how a limited understanding of what is actually going on leads to such conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #119
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Coilovers != suspension. Amazing how a limited understanding of what is actually going on leads to such conclusions.
has bmw made any significant suspension or geometry changes in the past 10 years?

I know the m3 suspension bolts right onto a 135i, I thought the bushing's were the only difference
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #120
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

I would like to see the 1 Series M / M1 / M Coupe to be a bare bones go fast car. Strip the car of all the gizmos and don’t put anything on it that doesn’t make it faster and cut the weight.

I don’t think BMW needs another technology show case like the M3, but they could use a raw enthusiast’s car with just enough tech to keep the average person out of the ditch when they are not trying to put it there.

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #121
amdmaxx
United_States
Rep

I dont want it stripped. Make it focused, but don't make it stripped.
I can only afford 1 car.. and I want to be able to live with it daily, even in snowy winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoid View Post
I would like to see the 1 Series M / M1 / M Coupe to be a bare bones go fast car. Strip the car of all the gizmos and don’t put anything on it that doesn’t make it faster and cut the weight.

I don’t think BMW needs another technology show case like the M3, but they could use a raw enthusiast’s car with just enough tech to keep the average person out of the ditch when they are not trying to put it there.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #122
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

I think BMW really made some mistakes in their powerplants. Letting public see the m3 v8 as a thing to be desired. Yet, as a previous e46 m3 owner and friend of current e92 m3, I can attest M engines do suffer in low end torque. (I never complained). And here comes this brash twin turbo 135 non-m car fixing this problem and shattering previous 330 power outputs and extremely lightweight that with enough tune, faster than previous generation m3 and gives new one a run for it's money.

Then, no more v8, have to give only 1 turbo in the 135, and back to a 6 cylinder--yet twin turbo for the M.

They really messed up with their model planning and keeping the sacred m3 from being attacked. I think they lost a ton a money in this process with bringing a v8 and switching to a single turbo. Maybe it was emissions based but definitely not the smartest last few years...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #123
Minimization
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5 Sedan SMG III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
imo, they are going to build a brand that will last with the 1M, so the names I would expect to see are //M1 or //M Coupe. The only people that care about the M1 name previously being tied to a one off supercar are the hardcore enthusiasts. Outside of that, no one cares. I would anticipate that //M1 will be the "new" name. A new //M supercar will have a new moniker to match its tier in the brand structure.
This is the only post on the naming that has made sense to me so far. Well put.

The old M1 name came out when BMW had no idea on their master nomenclature system. Don't be surprised if you see the 1 Series get split into the 1 and 2 Series too (same for 3 Series/4 Series).

Any supercar the comes out will be called M9, M10 or M0...M1 name is dead for the supercar.
X2/4MA/610/322/453/655/416/465/261/496
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #124
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabwind51 View Post
I think BMW really made some mistakes in their powerplants. Letting public see the m3 v8 as a thing to be desired. Yet, as a previous e46 m3 owner and friend of current e92 m3, I can attest M engines do suffer in low end torque. (I never complained). And here comes this brash twin turbo 135 non-m car fixing this problem and shattering previous 330 power outputs and extremely lightweight that with enough tune, faster than previous generation m3 and gives new one a run for it's money.

Then, no more v8, have to give only 1 turbo in the 135, and back to a 6 cylinder--yet twin turbo for the M.

They really messed up with their model planning and keeping the sacred m3 from being attacked. I think they lost a ton a money in his process with bringing a v8 and switching to a single turbo. Maybe it was emissions based but definitely not the smartest last few years...
+100, it seems that there is more competition within the bmw models than with other car manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #125
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
+100, it seems that there is more competition within the bmw models than with other car manufacturers.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but im willing to say that this is the reason that our cars have such a crap suspension.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #126
335iTrace
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S5 V8

I dont think it should be called the M1... thats a "supercar" name... I say bring back the EVO like the e60 way back when, make it a BMW with the goodies, but make it whoop @$$ on STi's, EVOs, and even go after the e46's and caymens... I think that would be an awesome car, almost like a BMW for the "not so grown up" in all of us... but the price needs to be reasonable!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #127
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iTrace View Post
and even go after the e46's
? The current 135i does that

maybe you mean go after the 911's and z06's?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #128
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You are completely missing the point or just simply being ignorant. Point is you can upgrade enough components to mimic 90+% of what the M does so you dont have to wait. The fact is bits and pieces of M3 components are already available, like the front wishbone and what you can't have I am sure there are aftermarket equivalents. The argument of your vaulted M branded suspension is second to none is completely indefensible.

Some of us have full time job and full time school at night so spare me the lecture of coilover does not equal to suspension because I don't have time to fully list each individual components of suspension to upgrade.

Now since you make the claim I have limited knowledge on suspension I am calling you out to fully describe modern day automotive suspension. Be a contributer otherwise what good is having someone who just comes in and say "Ha ha I am better than you."

So starting from most basic, describe the trade off between damping and spring rate and please feel free list out relevant spring constants and damping equations and how these two system interact.

Next please enlightens us on the roll bars and how it works. For example at which point is the rollbar attached to the suspension such that when force is applied to one side of the car an equivalent counter force is applied to keep the vehicle flat.

Then perhaps we can look at the suspension from a holistic perspective and perform a trade off analysis on different type of independent suspension. How is multilink a superior independent suspension versus others? What are the advantages and disadvantages, especially in terms of chamber control. These are fairly rudimentary questions. Hope you can help me gain a better knowledge to understand why M suspension can't be replicated with a home-made or shop suspension.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #129
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You are completely missing the point or just simply being ignorant. Point is you can upgrade enough components to mimic 90+% of what the M does so you dont have to wait. The fact is bits and pieces of M3 components are already available, like the front wishbone and what you can't have I am sure there are aftermarket equivalents. The argument of your vaulted M branded suspension is second to none is completely indefensible.

Some of us have full time job and full time school at night so spare me the lecture of coilover does not equal to suspension because I don't have time to fully list each individual components of suspension to upgrade.

Now since you make the claim I have limited knowledge on suspension I am calling you out to fully describe modern day automotive suspension. Be a contributer otherwise what good is having someone who just comes in and say "Ha ha I am better than you."

So starting from most basic, describe the trade off between damping and spring rate and please feel free list out relevant spring constants and damping equations and how these two system interact.

Next please enlightens us on the roll bars and how it works. For example at which point is the rollbar attached to the suspension such that when force is applied to one side of the car an equivalent counter force is applied to keep the vehicle flat.

Then perhaps we can look at the suspension from a holistic perspective and perform a trade off analysis on different type of multi-link system. How is it a superior independent suspension versus others? What are the advantages and disadvantages, especially in terms of chamber control.

Thanks!
he did not just miss the point, he was wrong all around
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #130
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

Quote:

Then perhaps we can look at the suspension from a holistic perspective and perform a trade off analysis on different type of independent suspension. How is multilink a superior independent suspension versus others? What are the advantages and disadvantages, especially in terms of chamber control. These are fairly rudimentary questions. Hope you can help me gain a better knowledge to understand why M suspension can't be replicated with a home-made or shop suspension.

Thanks!

I think you just made him crawl back under the rock.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #131
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Be prepared for a lot of 135i vs 1M (or whatever it's called) reviews when it comes out !!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #132
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

using the 135i engine is the easy making money way. If i spend ///M money i want something special engine wise. Like 360hp out of 3.2 engine with a carbon airbox. No it s not as fast as 135i 400 hp turbo engine. But that 3.2 is a piece of art. A 135i or any other turbo will never be one. Same goes for the X5 M and X6 M

Then the other thing.

Try the balance a turbo on under and oversteer with the throttle. Try that you proberly end up in the hedges. Turbo s are nice on 4wd rally cars. They don t belong in RWD car with a LSD on. You need a more liniear throttle response.

I want to spend lots money on ///M cars but if can t play with the throttle to balance the car i won t spend one dollar/euro on it.

Pedal to metal on the straight brigades i am not a member of. There more than enough manufactures who build those high power high nm turbo torque cars. I rather see 9000 rpm and sound to die for. Engine like a piece of art.

E30 dtm airbox
M3 3.0
M3 3.2
M3 CSL airbox
M3 V8 with 8400 rpm. Mount an airbox you will get crazy.

I don t care if people overtake me with turbo engine in my high ///M engines. You get used to torque. You never get bored listen to high rev engines.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread