BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
mfpockets
Rep
Drives: 135i

Condensation in headlight Assembly. Adaptive headlight error, and failed xenon

Hi, long time reader and first time posting. I bought my first BMW (my 2nd car) 1 month ago now used with 27k miles on it. It is a 2011 135i. Loving it so far, but my issue with it this past week hasn't been pleasant.

Washed the car 1 week ago.
Noticed moisture in the driver side assembly (did not do this on previous wash) and after 1 day adaptive headlight error came on.
Car wasn't really used until Friday and condensation had not gone away. Took a 20 minute drive with headlights on after parking the condensation which was nearly gone was way worse.

Saturday:
Again condensation still not completely gone. I open the hood and the headlight assembly back cover and let the car sit for an hour airing out hoping it would dry from having read so much on the adaptive headlight error and condensation in the housing could be a cause of that. Take a 30 minute drive with headlights on, stop to grab a bite upon return to the car its not giving a warning for the lowbeam on top of the adapative warning. Drive home, park stop car, turn it back on its fine.... adaptive error remains

Sunday:

Rains in the afternoon, drive to store headlights working (xenon) adaptive still nagging, still has condensation
Run into grocery store to grab desert, upon return xenon failure again, and adaptive error. After a couple start stops since and clearing the code, it remains broken.

Things I plan on trying based on what i've read.
Replacing the back access cover. This is by far the cheapest thing I can try.
Drying it out with a haridryer to see if it works when completely dry

if neither of these work, what are my remaining options. I really dont want to dish out 1200 bucks plus labor for a new assembly. This issue seems widespread there was no extended warranty put out on the assemblys?

TLDR water seems to have got in, first I had adaptive headlight error, now have that and lowbeam failure. What are my options? Yes I have searched the forums and read extensively as well See last paragraph
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpockets
Hi, long time reader and first time posting. I bought my first BMW (my 2nd car) 1 month ago now used with 27k miles on it. It is a 2011 135i. Loving it so far, but my issue with it this past week hasn't been pleasant.

Washed the car 1 week ago.
Noticed moisture in the driver side assembly (did not do this on previous wash) and after 1 day adaptive headlight error came on.
Car wasn't really used until Friday and condensation had not gone away. Took a 20 minute drive with headlights on after parking the condensation which was nearly gone was way worse.

Saturday:
Again condensation still not completely gone. I open the hood and the headlight assembly back cover and let the car sit for an hour airing out hoping it would dry from having read so much on the adaptive headlight error and condensation in the housing could be a cause of that. Take a 30 minute drive with headlights on, stop to grab a bite upon return to the car its not giving a warning for the lowbeam on top of the adapative warning. Drive home, park stop car, turn it back on its fine.... adaptive error remains

Sunday:

Rains in the afternoon, drive to store headlights working (xenon) adaptive still nagging, still has condensation
Run into grocery store to grab desert, upon return xenon failure again, and adaptive error. After a couple start stops since and clearing the code, it remains broken.

Things I plan on trying based on what i've read.
Replacing the back access cover. This is by far the cheapest thing I can try.
Drying it out with a haridryer to see if it works when completely dry

if neither of these work, what are my remaining options. I really dont want to dish out 1200 bucks plus labor for a new assembly. This issue seems widespread there was no extended warranty put out on the assemblys?

TLDR water seems to have got in, first I had adaptive headlight error, now have that and lowbeam failure. What are my options? Yes I have searched the forums and read extensively as well See last paragraph
Pull the headlight, check the modules. Chances are that they are shot. If this is the case dry out the housing and grab some replacements off eBay. The new ones need coding to work with your car.

Get new seals and lube them up with silicone spray before closing up the housing.

Check the housing for damage, maybe someone backed into you and cracked it or something. Typically though this problem is the result of improperly reattaching the rear access cover after replacing a light bulb. Chances are your headlight housing is fine, but due to the water the modules have shorted out. The modules are usually around 100-200 used.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
mfpockets
Rep
Drives: 135i

UPDATE:

So I tried drying it out with a hairdryer and got all the condensation out. Fired up the lights and it still wasn't working. After a few tries of on/off, the headlight came on 2-3 times and then failed again. Does it sound more like the ignitor on the bulb or the ballast which is on its way out?

Based on this, I believe it is either the ignitor on the bulb going out, or less likely the ballast? All the while the addative error remains so I am guessing it's that is caused by the AHL module, and i've read after drying that out it could potentially work.

When you say the seals, I suppose you mean the ones on the headlight assembly cover itself? Looks like it may be salvagable....without replacement modules
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpockets View Post
UPDATE:

So I tried drying it out with a hairdryer and got all the condensation out. Fired up the lights and it still wasn't working. After a few tries of on/off, the headlight came on 2-3 times and then failed again. Does it sound more like the ignitor on the bulb or the ballast which is on its way out?

Based on this, I believe it is either the ignitor on the bulb going out, or less likely the ballast? All the while the addative error remains so I am guessing it's that is caused by the AHL module, and i've read after drying that out it could potentially work.

When you say the seals, I suppose you mean the ones on the headlight assembly cover itself? Looks like it may be salvagable....without replacement modules
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...20condensation

Yes seals on the rear covers you remove to change a bulb. If you end up removing the lights to change out the ballasts, replace any seals there as well. Don't remember off hand whats down there for seals. There is a DIY on this forum for removing headlights in the DIY section.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

mfpockets this is a very common issue bc someone changed your AE(or xenon)bubs and didn't put the cover back on. Then when you washed the car... water enters the headlight and fries the ECU inside the headlight. Sometimes you get lucky with a bad ballast or footwell module... but mist common thing is you will need a new headlight.

There is no extended warranty on this bc its totally due to the owner(or past owner) who changed out the AE bulbs.

Maybe check with your insurance company and make a "comp claim" bc in most states headlights are covered due to rock damage or water condensation in the lights.

Otherwise your looking at some serious $$$ for at least one new headlight, ballast/footwell module/bulb. The front bumper needs to come off and the headlight will then come off.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0