BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #89
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Bedford is not a bad run, I always give my car its first track run of the year there after a winter lay up, good circuit for a shake up and should you come unstuck little chance of damage with plenty of run offs, just a little harsh on tyres but then I run track day rubber......
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #90
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Not a fan of Bedford. Only place I've ever lost control of a car in 12 years of driving. Spun out after miss-judging the final corner as the place has no visual markers. First and last time I've been there. I'd be interested in Rockingham.

Not been Snetterton either, anyone been on the 300 circuit?

I'm a regular at Brands, last outing was in a X5 3.0d though...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #91
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m v/a

[QUOTE=Shost;11088156]Not a fan of Bedford. Only place I've ever lost control of a car in 12 years of driving. Spun out after miss-judging the final corner as the place has no visual markers. First and last time I've been there. I'd be interested in Rockingham.

Not been Snetterton either, anyone been on the 300 circuit?

I'm a regular at Brands, last outing was in a X5 3.0d though... [/QUOT

1 for Bedford uninspiring and noise control is a nightmare rockingham is good snet 300 is good much more interesting than old circuit brands Indy is too short long circuit is great cadwell is great as is oulton Anglesey Is brilliant but along way! Croft is good but a little boring Combe is dangerous little run off! Donnington is good a track is a track at the end of the day I'm there!
      01-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #92
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

I thought we were meeting up just to look at each others cars, eat loads of grub, drink gallons of tea then f off home.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #93
hutch2196
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe & Sunbeam Lotus

Here's a suggestion for the UK 1M community. I've got an 'in' with the company 'Motorsports-Events.com' they are a well respected trackday company mainly ustilising MOD Airfield venues.

If there was interest, we could consider a meet in Abingdon, Nr Oxford (pretty central), they host a track day there on a Fri once every month this year, dates on their website. I could try and negociate a group discount, pretty confident I could manage it. I've tracked there for the last 5 years it's safe, controlled and properly run.

Interest on here please

Hutch
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #94
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch2196 View Post
Here's a suggestion for the UK 1M community. I've got an 'in' with the company 'Motorsports-Events.com' they are a well respected trackday company mainly ustilising MOD Airfield venues.

If there was interest, we could consider a meet in Abingdon, Nr Oxford (pretty central), they host a track day there on a Fri once every month this year, dates on their website. I could try and negociate a group discount, pretty confident I could manage it. I've tracked there for the last 5 years it's safe, controlled and properly run.
Abingdon is a good shout. As you say, fairly central, and a good venue. I did a sprint there many years ago in my old Sunbeam-Lotus.
I've just noticed you've got one how long have you had it, we may know each other, although, I sold mine 5 years ago, I'd had it since 1988.
      01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #95
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
I thought we were meeting up just to look at each others cars, eat loads of grub, drink gallons of tea then f off home.
Sounds good to me I just like to do a few trackdays as well would be nice to do some with other 1m's and share some track experiences! But I'm always up for a park and pose! When are we thinking the next one will be need to book the day off work!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #96
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Never tried a track day. All options sound good to me but I'd be terrified of damage. Not sure what is worse, turning up to a 'let's look at all the cars' meet with no mods, or turning up to a track day to coast around making sure of no spins. Hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #97
hutch2196
Enlisted Member
Rep

Kjmez - the bonus of a track day such as Abingdon is it's not timed, massive grass run offs, no barriers, marshalls to black flag the loons (never experienced by the way) and encouragement to stay within your limits. The circuit designed by Ed Moore is well laid out and stone free so no chips getting flicked up. You could also come and just park up, and jump in a spare seat

I'll post up the dates for this year.

Gee - Pics of my SL and 1M are on the PH Forum under 'BMW M Owners List' page 6.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...rs+list+%21%21
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #98
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Not keen on tracking the 1M, remember nearly stacking the CSL at Combe too well
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #99
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmez View Post
Never tried a track day. All options sound good to me but I'd be terrified of damage. Not sure what is worse, turning up to a 'let's look at all the cars' meet with no mods, or turning up to a track day to coast around making sure of no spins. Hmmmm
Trackdays are great they allow you to explore the handling and performance limits of your car in a legal and much safer environment than racing around on the road, the secret is to take your time and gradually get faster through the day once you have learned the track and found yours and the cars limits. Having raced and instructed on bikes and cars you can always tell the guys who are going to end up in the gravel, guys and girls who take there time have the best days!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #100
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Kjmez - the bonus of a track day such as Abingdon is it's not timed, massive grass run offs, no barriers, marshalls to black flag the loons (never experienced by the way) and encouragement to stay within your limits. The circuit designed by Ed Moore is well laid out and stone free so no chips getting flicked up. You could also come and just park up, and jump in a spare seat

I'll post up the dates for this year.

Gee - Pics of my SL and 1M are on the PH Forum under 'BMW M Owners List' page 6.

Done. Now I can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #101
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

And a DAC as well

Mine was DAC 71Y.

I agree with senitment as well, about the SL and 1M. It's why I waited for a 1M until it was announced that it would be 6MT only, hence, I had to revert to ordering a 135i to get the DCT, as I needed it to be a DD.
No longer have enough room for lots of toys anymore

8 years ago, my toy collection was thus

01-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #102
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not keen on tracking the 1M, remember nearly stacking the CSL at Combe too well
Combe is quite unforgiving mate with very little run off in some areas I didn't like it there that much I know what you meen though the idea of crashing my car terrifies me but I think your more likely to spank it racing around down country lanes in the summer when you can't see what's coming than taking your time on a track day
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #103
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I wouldn't mind going to Abingdon to try it out then. Still need to arrange a date to meet up in the next few weeks for a social gathering of 1Ms and owners
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #104
hutch2196
Enlisted Member
Rep

Boys, don't forget as a meet venue Abingdon has the option to view the track action, park up and natter in the pit lane, tea available, plus the option to sign in as a passenger (free) and join the braver 1M owners!

Gee - I'm in the SLOC do you know who owns 71 now? I'm sure I've seen it. Mine has, LSD, AP 4 pots, billys, discs on rear, cosworth pistons, oil cooler etc, it's a blast!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #105
kjmez
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't mind going to Abingdon to try it out then. Still need to arrange a date to meet up in the next few weeks for a social gathering of 1Ms and owners
Agree Jezz, prob for me is that next free weekends are mid feb.

What sort of cost are we looking at for track day? I guess there is an insurance hit?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #106
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Gee - I'm in the SLOC do you know who owns 71 now? I'm sure I've seen it.
It was me that actually started up SLOC back in 1990 ish.....

You probably have seen it, although it doesn’t look like that now, as well as a lot of restoration work the guy has put it all back to stock I believe (as well as the genuine magnesium Minilites you can see wearing, it had full PTS ‘works’ supplied Bilstein suspension, AP 4 pot brakes & 2.2 quick rack, plus a Quaife diff and ‘works’ style Springalex steering wheel)
Can’t remember the guys name who bought it (it was 5 years ago when I sold it) but, it doesn’t live that far from you, as he lives down in Hampshire on the edge of the New Forest.
      01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #107
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:

I am cool with that mate, not tracking the 1M when I have the other 'non BMW' built for track and only used for, so suggest a time and a place and I should be there
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #108
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Have fancied a trackday but not sure I fancy risking the 1M in my first outing!

Would certainly be up for the meet though.

Very busy weekend wise but keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #109
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Any ideas for a social then I'll make myself free any time now had enough of work at mo!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #110
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Boys, don't forget as a meet venue Abingdon has the option to view the track action, park up and natter in the pit lane, tea available, plus the option to sign in as a passenger (free) and join the braver 1M owners!

For those a bit unsure, about extent of run-off and the like, here's a youtube clip of the Abingdon track layout taken from a snorting twin sidedraught carb'd Dolly Sprint