BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Odd codes this morning

So, I had some odd codes thrown at me this morning.

29D1, 29D2, 29D0 & 29CC

basically cylinder 4,5 & 6 were misfiring.

I came home, tried starting the car and got the same codes, opened up the DME box after shutting everything off and made sure the wiring was all secure, everything seemed fine, put the cover back on and started it back up and no more mis-fires....

I think this might be from me running a cowless setup. i'm currently running the burger tuning cowl filters with no plastic tray underneath right now.

anyone else have any ideas? The car was running fine the night before and in the morning it started mis-firing and driving rough in general and finally threw a SES light at me after starting up.

now that i've opened/closed up the DME box it has gone away.

cant say it's the injectors because I would think it'd just be 1 maybe 2 tops that fail all at once.

any ideas? i'm going to be putting the cowl and stock cabin filter back on and we'll see if this issue continues.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep

well, after messing with it yesterday the codes went away and then misfires on cylinder 4 & 6 came back up.

I swapped the coil packs from 4 & 6 to 1 & 2 to see if the misfires moved with them and the codes did not come back.

that's odd.... I must have coils that are going bad or something like that.

spark plugs were replaced ~5k ago or so.

I'll probably start with getting some new coils and if the issue still occurs then i'm probably looking at injectors going bad probably.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

I had the same issue as you a while back. I would do the coils and all the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
I had the same issue as you a while back. I would do the coils and all the injectors.
yeah, I just ordered new coils now to see if that will help. If that doesnt I'll order new injectors.

the odd thing is that it only misfires on a cold startup after the car has been sitting for 5+hrs.

after it has started up the first time and has settled down it runs just fine.

I almost think there might be an issue with the HPFP possibly if it isnt the coils/injectors.

I started the car this morning and it was sputtering a little bit, then smoothed itself out after running funny for ~1 minute or so.

and startups after that have been normal
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1_2007 View Post
yeah, I just ordered new coils now to see if that will help. If that doesnt I'll order new injectors.

the odd thing is that it only misfires on a cold startup after the car has been sitting for 5+hrs.

after it has started up the first time and has settled down it runs just fine.

I almost think there might be an issue with the HPFP possibly if it isnt the coils/injectors.

I started the car this morning and it was sputtering a little bit, then smoothed itself out after running funny for ~1 minute or so.

and startups after that have been normal
Yup my car does the exact same thing except many mornings it will go into limp mode. Please update if you discover a fix for this for now i'm just dealing with this issue because I already have dropped 2k replacing plugs, coils, injectors, HPFP sensor, and walnut blast to still have my car having this same issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Yup my car does the exact same thing except many mornings it will go into limp mode. Please update if you discover a fix for this for now i'm just dealing with this issue because I already have dropped 2k replacing plugs, coils, injectors, HPFP sensor, and walnut blast to still have my car having this same issue.
well what my car is doing now that i've been having it have issues for a couple days is that only on cold starts after the car has been sitting for 5+ hrs will it sputter and mis-fire on the rear 3 cylinders.

after it idles for a couple minutes having a fit it will smooth itself out and things will be all good again.

i'm honestly leaning towards it being the HPFP not being able to build up pressure quickly enough to get enough fuel to the rear cylinders on the fuel rail.

I'll know more once I actually take it into the dealership to take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep

so, just an update, i've been kind of dealing with the problem because I dont have time to take the car into the dealership.

basically what is happening is the car will run kind of rough in the morning, I will usually throw a misfire code on cylinder 5 and it seems to run rich/lean because there is also an o2 code coming up as well.

shortly after the car will smooth itself out and the codes will clear on their own.

car drives normally the rest of the day as long as it does not sit for more than 8hrs or so.

upon starting it up during the day it will kind of pop/studder for just a few seconds before smoothing out again.

very rarely the car will studder driving down the road like it is temporarily losing power in 1 cylinder (i'm assuming a mis-fire but no codes come up....)

anyways, game plan is to keep it going as-is and then just replace the injectors myself since I am pretty mechanically inclined. I spoke to a BMW technician that I know and from the symptoms he was thinking it is a leaky fuel injector or it is just going bad.

so, this weekend when I get time i've got new ignition coils to put on and I will pull the plug in cylinder 4, 5 & 6 to see if they are damp and swap 4,5,6 spark plugs with 1,2,3 to see if the mis-fires move to the front cylinders just to make sure it isnt a bad spark plug or something like that.

after I test and the mis-fire is still on cylinder 4,5 or 6, then I will be 100% certain it is the injectors and get those replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep

well, since cylinder 5 has been the only one misfiring in the morning lately, i've swapped spark plug #5 with #1 to see if that moves. the electrode on top seemed unusually dark/burnt color.

I also replaced all of the ignition coils with new bosch OE units.

if it continues happening I have the index # and other info I would need to replace a single injector on whichever one is having issues.

more than likely what i'm going to do is see if I can find a used/refurb injector with the same index and other numbers and just straight swap it in so I don't need to re-code anything.

worst case scenario i'll probably buy a set of 3 new ones and buy myself a $100 coding cable and just do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep

just a quick update to this issue.

as of right now I am not getting any more misfire codes after swapping the spark plugs around and replacing the coils.

Idle is still a little shaky when it first starts up, but it smooths out after 30 seconds or so of running and there is no more misfire codes.

One thing I realized I did not do when I replaced spark plugs ~4k miles ago was I did not use di-electric grease in the coil boots. (stupid, I know) but when I replaced the coils I made sure to put some in since it is a fresh coil pack and such.

anyways, going to be looking into replacing the injectors any way and maybe getting the intake ports walnut blasted as well.
Appreciate 0