BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
YABISH
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i SG DCT

Performance Exhaust break in period

Hey guys just installed the PE and Y-pipe today for my n55 135i... After installation and driving around I don't notice much difference to the exhaust note/tone at all apart from a slightly louder drone

Was just wondering is there some sort of break in period for the PE? Does it need to carbon up or something before the sound will open up? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
questionable
S50B32
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

They need to carbon up yes but there are not very many gains with the pe, you maybe should have done down pipes
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Interesting, am looking to put on a PE hopefully soon and pretty much everything i've read and listened to indicates an improvement over the stock exhaust note. Also interesting to see you fitted the Y pipe as i was under the impression it wasn't really required on the N55.

Can i ask where you purchased yours from?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
YABISH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable View Post
They need to carbon up yes but there are not very many gains with the pe, you maybe should have done down pipes
I know it doesn't have many gains, if any at all. Sorry what i meant was the difference in terms of the sound not power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Interesting, am looking to put on a PE hopefully soon and pretty much everything i've read and listened to indicates an improvement over the stock exhaust note. Also interesting to see you fitted the Y pipe as i was under the impression it wasn't really required on the N55.

Can i ask where you purchased yours from?
The Y pipe just deletes the resonator thats all, which explains the extra drone. It is a big louder but not by much at all. Will give it about a week of driving i guess and see what happens :/
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
YABISH
Banned
Rep

oh and got it from www.bmraw.com just speak to Stu there and he'll sort you out!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by YABISH View Post
Hey guys just installed the PE and Y-pipe today for my n55 135i... After installation and driving around I don't notice much difference to the exhaust note/tone at all apart from a slightly louder drone
Blimey.......

Mine was night and day difference in noise levels between OEM and PE.

Spent the whole of the first day driving around underground car-parks and looking for tunnels to drive through
      05-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I really started loving mine after 1 or 2k miles
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
YABISH
Banned
Rep

Oh Forgot to add that the car came with PPK1 as well... so the initial stock sound level for me may have already been louder than usual I'm assuming..? Hence I find the insignificant change to my ears perhaps? Haha
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Blimey.......

Spent the whole of the first day driving around underground car-parks and looking for tunnels to drive through
+1 on the Night & Day!

OP are you sure you have the y-pipe installed on your PE? Sounds to me that you might not. The PE really makes some noises over the stock exhaust. It's music to my ears.

Yes, you will need to drive the PE a few thousand miles before the tone(bass) gets deeper. It just gets better and better to my ears. And when driving at part throttle the exhaust noise is not much louder than stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
YABISH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1 on the Night & Day!

OP are you sure you have the y-pipe installed on your PE? Sounds to me that you might not. The PE really makes some noises over the stock exhaust. It's music to my ears.

Yes, you will need to drive the PE a few thousand miles before the tone(bass) gets deeper. It just gets better and better to my ears. And when driving at part throttle the exhaust noise is not much louder than stock.
Yep I'm sure i did the resonator delete! haha. Like i said I've always had PPK1 and golf tee mod so it probably wasn't that much difference to me now with the PE on. Hopefully after a few kms it'll sound much better... though for now it is not worth how much i paid for it lol
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Yep I'm sure i did the resonator delete! haha. Like i said I've always had PPK1 and golf tee mod so it probably wasn't that much difference to me now with the PE on. Hopefully after a few kms it'll sound much better... though for now it is not worth how much i paid for it lol
Damn that's not what I wanted to hear!

Definitely a hefty pricetag for an exhaust... but I guess you're getting OEM+
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Blimey.......

Quote:
+1 on the Night & Day!

I agree 100%. Night and day difference.

Actually, I was a bit speechless when I first read the OP's comments... there must be something beyond the PPK to account for the difference in PE experiences. The coffee cups are rattling in the cupboards when I start the car in the morning. The neighbors complain that simply starting the car wakes them up on the weekends. It's the only car that the BMW Performance Center staff told me every occupant of the building hears when it starts the engine in one of the delivery rooms. My boss often mentions in a disappointed tone how much louder and nicer sounding he thinks my exhaust is than the exhaust in his 1M. I suppose there's no point in going on...

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Maybe the difference on the N54 is more noticable than on the N55 as i believe the exhaust is already slight louder stock on the N55.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the fact you fitted the Y pipe?, saying that i would of thought that would of made it louder if anything.

Have sent Stu an email so will hopefully hear back soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
My PE was also night and day difference to stock.

N55 - first without and then with the Y-Pipe.

The PE actually sounds better on the N55 than the N54 because of the catless mids... My 1M is currently stock exhaust and I miss the sound of me PE every day...

Maybe you should get your hearing tested Ringo...

This was stationary and just giving it a bit of a rev...

Last edited by Harlequin; 05-08-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

@7smurfs

Quote:

Something doesn't make sense here... You are the first person who doesn't really like the way the PE sounds. I think your ear's might need some "calibration". lol

Personally I LOVE my PE and would never go back to stock. Even the other day... I was at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, inside the paddock area... I started my cold engine(I was there the entire day!)... and quite a few (performance gear)heads turned to look at what just started up! lol The PE is worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
YABISH
Banned
Rep

Quote:
@7smurfs

Something doesn't make sense here... You are the first person who doesn't really like the way the PE sounds. I think your ear's might need some "calibration". lol

Personally I LOVE my PE and would never go back to stock. Even the other day... I was at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, inside the paddock area... I started my cold engine(I was there the entire day!)... and quite a few (performance gear)heads turned to look at what just started up! lol The PE is worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned.
I didn't say i didn't like the PE sound... I'm just saying its not as loud as I thought it would be, so much so that its not even louder compared to stock. A few of my mates whom I've shown the car to post installation have said this as well lol. Cold start is much louder thats for sure, much more pops n crackles as well. Is there supposed to be a difference to the warm start as well?

@Harlequin

Angus your youtube link is broken mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #17
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Fixed.
      05-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #18
YABISH
Banned
Rep

@harlequin

Why not akra Angus? :P

Just listened to your clip. Hopefully see you at the next burger meet or something so may have a listen correct me if my hearing is actually impaired or not haha
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #19
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YABISH
@harlequin

Why not akra Angus? :P

Just listened to your clip. Hopefully see you at the next burger meet or something so may have a listen correct me if my hearing is actually impaired or not haha
Thats my old car... Still deciding what to out on the ///M...