BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Pictures of clear bra

I live in Germany and picked up my 135 in June. First thing I did was schedule a clear bra and window tint. Here are some photos from the clear bra. Car was a bit dusty so it's easy to see the lines but I put arrows there to help.

Rick
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

off topic but I love your plate
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

How much did both procedures cost? Where did you get it done? Warranty on the clearbra? I think I have a similar type coating, but for my Blackberry
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Im going to need this when the the LOVE BUGS come around again.... Thanks UF... (That 2nd part was sarcasm)

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Awesome!

Jet Black | Coral Red | 6 MT | Comfort Access | 35% Tint | CF Grills | CF Mirrors | Bimmian CF Interior | CF Spoiler | M Door Sills | BMS DCI | Stett Charge Pipe | Berk Sport Muffler | Tow Plate
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
ForesT
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Think it looks awful, do you also wrap your furnitures in plastic?

Cars are made to be used and when they get bad in the paint itīs not expensive with a repaint of the bad part. My opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Do you know what the name of the product is that was used?

I'm getting this done to the front of my car when it arrives later in the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Good choice. I had the hood wrapped entirely - almost no lines, except around the roundel and the windshield washer nozzles. Of course, I ended up getting a paint chip on one of the "A" pillars, which I left uncovered....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
To each his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesT View Post

Cars are made to be used and when they get bad in the paint itīs not expensive with a repaint of the bad part. My opinion.
Opinion noted. When I hit the autobahn, I'm driving at 100 mph+ and routinely 120mph or above. Anything I can do to minimize paint chips...well in my book it's worth it for the car to look like brand new in 5 years after too much high speed driving. And when the car is clean and doesn't have dust buildup at the seams, you can't even tell it's there.

No, my furniture isn't as loved as my LMB 135
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
"A" pillars done also

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Good choice. I had the hood wrapped entirely - almost no lines, except around the roundel and the windshield washer nozzles. Of course, I ended up getting a paint chip on one of the "A" pillars, which I left uncovered....
Totally I had the forward half of the hood, entire bumper, tips of both front fenders, both door edges, both mirrors, both "A" pillars, behind front wheelwell and in front of rear wheelwells, both door handle area where fingernails scratch the paint and the rear bumper where you might scuff as you put something heavy in the trunk.

Including window tint, this whole job was 500 euros or about $625 US.

Easy investment if in 5-10 years this thing still looks new in those normally heavily damaged areas.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
It's the 3M clear paint protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Do you know what the name of the product is that was used?

I'm getting this done to the front of my car when it arrives later in the year.
I can send you the website if you want for specifics.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I guess u have a ton of cash to throw around....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:09 AM   #13
ForesT
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I guess u have a ton of cash to throw around....

hehe...no, but if you can afford the car I think you can afford a repaint of SOME parts every third or fifth year. Itīs just some parts that get worn. It works for me in Sweden and I drive a lot even in winter when they have salt and sand on the road. It looks more nice without plastic because the car isnīt newly washed in 99% of the time. And after 3-5 years itīs also time to get a new ride
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hehe...no, but if you can afford the car I think you can afford a repaint of SOME parts every third or fifth year. Itīs just some parts that get worn. It works for me in Sweden and I drive a lot even in winter when they have salt and sand on the road. It looks more nice without plastic because the car isnīt newly washed in 99% of the time. And after 3-5 years itīs also time to get a new ride
Ya it is a must in some places because in FL during one time of the year a Bug called the love bug comes out and destroys paint.... Plus why paint a car if you can just do this and take precautions like this and keep it like it was from the dealer..

The bottom pic is what happens when you go out one time... It suck because if you don't wash them off every time (Which is impossible) The heat melts them into your paint... They swarm in the thousands in the middle pic and when you hit 1 you hit a hundred of them...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Im going to need this when the the LOVE BUGS come around again.... Thanks UF... (That 2nd part was sarcasm)
LOL oh flashbacks...I feel your pain and I moved from Gainesville (went to UF as well) a little less than 2 years ago. Check out my thread of pictures. My car has a full clear bra installed, including headlights, hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors. There is a guy here that has done a few of my cars and he is one of the best around. He also provides outstanding warranty on his labor and the film itself.

If interested I can give you his info, and jax is only 1.5 hours away.

When I was still living in Gainesville, I brought a few of my previous cars here to get the clear bra installed on them. It's just plain worth it!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
ForesT
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Ya it is a must in some places because in FL during one time of the year a Bug called the love bug comes out and destroys paint.... Plus why paint a car if you can just do this and take precautions like this and keep it like it was from the dealer..

The bottom pic is what happens when you go out one time... It suck because if you don't wash them off every time (Which is impossible) The heat melts them into your paint... They swarm in the thousands in the middle pic and when you hit 1 you hit a hundred of them...

For me itīs the same to take precautions at home and wrap everyting in plastic. It will hold for longer but it looks awful. Things are made to be used.

I donīt want to be rude, but the insects is nothing compared to Sweden. I donīt have any pictures of my car, but my car looked like this after only 100 km some weeks ago.

The solution is Turtle Insect remover, gets fantastic result. Just spray and clean with pressure washer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
For me itīs the same to take precautions at home and wrap everyting in plastic. It will hold for longer but it looks awful. Things are made to be used.

I donīt want to be rude, but the insects is nothing compared to Sweden. I donīt have any pictures of my car, but my car looked like this after only 100 km some weeks ago.

The solution is Turtle Insect remover, gets fantastic result. Just spray and clean with pressure washer.
I don't think you understand. The love bugs have a specific chemical substance in their guts that reacts and eats into the clear coat in just hours. Yes I said it damages the clear in a matter of HOURS. I have experienced this with prior vehicles and I refuse to let this happen again - even though I don't live in Gainesville anymore which is love bug grand central. Also, the hotter the day, the faster the reaction. So I would drive to work, park outside for the lack of parking garage, and when I got home 8 hours later to wash my front bumper, the damage had already started.

In addition, I don't think it's a matter of not using what's meant to be used, but rather that some of us appreciate our cars and enjoy keeping it in outstanding shape. I would be very disappointed if my 2 month old 135 started to have rock chips all over the front (which are extremely noticeable on dark colors). Due to driving 22 miles on the highway to work one way, I drove the car home from the dealer on day 1, and did not move it out of my garage until the clear bra had been installed. The results? 0 front end damage up to date!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I had a clear bra on my last car and you couldn't tell it was there. Good investment.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
LOL oh flashbacks...I feel your pain and I moved from Gainesville (went to UF as well) a little less than 2 years ago. Check out my thread of pictures. My car has a full clear bra installed, including headlights, hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors. There is a guy here that has done a few of my cars and he is one of the best around. He also provides outstanding warranty on his labor and the film itself.

If interested I can give you his info, and jax is only 1.5 hours away.

When I was still living in Gainesville, I brought a few of my previous cars here to get the clear bra installed on them. It's just plain worth it!
Sounds cool!! I will wait till I start seeing them again then I might buy...

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think you understand. The love bugs have a specific chemical substance in their guts that reacts and eats into the clear coat in just hours. Yes I said it damages the clear in a matter of HOURS. I have experienced this with prior vehicles and I refuse to let this happen again - even though I don't live in Gainesville anymore which is love bug grand central. Also, the hotter the day, the faster the reaction. So I would drive to work, park outside for the lack of parking garage, and when I got home 8 hours later to wash my front bumper, the damage had already started.

In addition, I don't think it's a matter of not using what's meant to be used, but rather that some of us appreciate our cars and enjoy keeping it in outstanding shape. I would be very disappointed if my 2 month old 135 started to have rock chips all over the front (which are extremely noticeable on dark colors). Due to driving 22 miles on the highway to work one way, I drove the car home from the dealer on day 1, and did not move it out of my garage until the clear bra had been installed. The results? 0 front end damage up to date!

I couldn't say it any better... Bugs wipe off with some elbow grease but love bugs... You put your arm into it and it looks like you are rubbing them into your paint permanently...

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Quote:
Furniture doesn't travel through the environment at 60+mph. Also, a tightly fitting clear bra isn't as unattractive or noticeable as cheap furniture plastic. This analogy would only work if someone wrapped their interior in plastic, which would indeed look awful.

Personally, I wish I had a clear bra installed on my car before being pelted with rocks on the interstate with about 200 miles on the odometer..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
ForesT
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like itīs worse than sulfuric acid or caustic soda?
Do you know what pH it has?
What happens if you get one on to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Go check your fornt end in couple of years, then spend the better part of a grand to refinish it and repaint it right. Just my .02 rock chips.
I donīt know what you mean, it will be expensive to do a repaint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
Furniture doesn't travel through the environment at 60+mph. Also, a tightly fitting clear bra isn't as unattractive or noticeable as cheap furniture plastic. This analogy would only work if someone wrapped their interior in plastic, which would indeed look awful.

Personally, I wish I had a clear bra installed on my car before being pelted with rocks on the interstate with about 200 miles on the odometer..

No, but a lot of sweaty asses will sit in the furniture and rub A LOT of time. Have you seen how a white sofa looks like after a couple of years? If you wrap it in plastic you can save it for your grandchildren.

Are you planning to have your cars for the rest of your life?
Thought that cars and stuff to cars was cheap in the states?
Appreciate 0