shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
They forgot to mention engine noise!

The Audi in my opinion smashes the BMW in this dept. That 2.5/5cyl sounds amazing!
bawhahaha...wellI guess you need to find at least one good thing...
the usual grasp is: but it has way nicer seats.....LOL
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #46
dannemare
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS mkII, 400 bhp

Quote:
They forgot to mention engine noise!

The Audi in my opinion smashes the BMW in this dept. That 2.5/5cyl sounds amazing!
True, there's nothing quite like a 2.5/5cyl. Sounds amazing and very unique. The sound from this video doesn't do it justice, really:

(it's mine and, no, it's not exactly standard).
      06-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #47
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
RING RING......RING RING...
** "hello...."
* "HI THERE...May I speak to Footie please?..."
** "ummmmm....sorry....Footie disappeared again....."
* "again?"
** "ummmmmm....ya....after BMW beats an Audi in a comparo...well...all of them really.....Footie just..disappears....weird"
* "I guess he hides because he's embarrassed...dont blame the little fella...anyway...thanks..bye"
**Click
I dunno if it's just me but I wouldn't really call it a "win". A few tenths of a second on a track lap time is like 2-3% difference which to be honest could come down to so many variables.

However, the RS3 numbers were amazing and I would say based on numbers it's the winner. So I don't know why people are saying Audi can't compete lol. Now, if you want to talk about what feels and drives better then that comes down to personal preference and driving style. You should try both cars then make up your mind.

Honestly, I never understand why people have too much brand loyalty. Competition is better for all of us.
      06-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #48
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Both great cars unique in their own little ways.

I have an RS 4 and now (also) getting in to the 1//M. True enthusiasts know where these cars shine and you cannot go wrong with either one.

It was interesting to see Audi forum react when the new M3 came out but this might be a tad more amusing. Keep on!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #49
emathis
Private
Rep
Drives: X6//M + 1series V8

Have you driven an R8 GT?
Me either, I guess we should defer judgment to those who have...[/QUOTE]

I am happy for you that you have been able to drive one of the 333 limited edition cars of the R8 GT. Hope you enjoyed it! Apparently you did....
Now get back onto your feet and stop making comparisons that are as nearly as ridiculous as my post might be. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #50
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Personally, since the HUGE majority of these cars will be used on the road, and only the road, that really should have a higher weighting than a track time. Whatever, it's their test they can do what they want.

I'm no champion driver, so the RS3 would probably be a better buy for me, and I love the styling, but I'd still take the 1M because it's so anti-social-looking. And I'd live in hope that I become a champion driver before I turn off the TC and wipe myself out hehehe.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #51
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannemare View Post
True, there's nothing quite like a 2.5/5cyl. Sounds amazing and very unique.
I test drove the TTRS before putting a deposit down on an RS3, as it was the closest i could get to test driving that engine. The only reason i pulled the deposit was because Audi have no defined delivery dates (seven months on..) and looking back it doesn't quiet have the looks of a 40K car! Looks boring regardless of how quick it is.

Granted tho - each car is great in its own right. Even though i've ordered an 1M, i'd still buy an RS car in the future. BMW have adopted Turbo charging now in M Cars so how long before they adopt 4WD?!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #52
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Quote:
I test drove the TTRS before putting a deposit down on an RS3, as it was the closest i could get to test driving that engine. The only reason i pulled the deposit was because Audi have no defined delivery dates (seven months on..) and looking back it doesn't quiet have the looks of a 40K car! Looks boring regardless of how quick it is.

Granted tho - each car is great in its own right. Even though i've ordered an 1M, i'd still buy an RS car in the future. BMW have adopted Turbo charging now in M Cars so how long before they adopt 4WD?!
They already admitted AWD is in the near future. Has some true BMW enthusiasts a little ticked off..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPY11 View Post
They already admitted AWD is in the near future. Has some true BMW enthusiasts a little ticked off..
Because people get " ticked off" at every possible change away from what they think is an "M " car trait.

Note that AWD will be an OPTIONAL item, and possibly as soon as the new M5.

If BMW wants to compete with other marques that offer AWD vehicles at the highest level in their brand, I've got no quarrel with it, as long as i can still buy a RWD version. I feel the same way about convertible M cars and M SAVs.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #54
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
This is a ridiculous post.

Ever heard of the multiple Le Mans winning R8 and R12? Perhaps I should go back and count the driven wheels.

Have you driven an R8 GT?
Me either, I guess we should defer judgment to those who have...
There is a guy at the track with an R8 V8 and it is deadly fast around the corners. Certainly a fantastic car. Its basically a Gallardo for crying out loud.

I think the LeMans Audi is R8 (gas) and R10 (diesel). The R12 is still concept isn't it?
Lol, the current racing version is the R15
      06-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #55
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Lol. Dont care.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #56
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I am liking the 1M day by day more and more. It is very pure and simple yet raw and aggressive sporty car. It has a lot of modding potential for little money.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #57
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Why did you order 1M if you are so displeased with turbo engine direction. I do not get this whole thing against turbo engines. Even formula one used to have small turbo engines. I was a very big NA engine fan before my N54 and GT-R. But now I think both type of engines are great. The bottom line is NA engines are less efficient when it comes to fuel while providing similar power.

Quote:
Even though i've ordered an 1M, i'd still buy an RS car in the future. BMW have adopted Turbo charging now in M Cars so how long before they adopt 4WD?!
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #58
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannemare View Post
True, there's nothing quite like a 2.5/5cyl. Sounds amazing and very unique. The sound from this video doesn't do it justice, really:

(it's mine and, no, it's not exactly standard).
damn that sounds real good.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #59
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Why did you order 1M if you are so displeased with turbo engine direction. I do not get this whole thing against turbo engines. Even formula one used to have small turbo engines. I was a very big NA engine fan before my N54 and GT-R. But now I think both type of engines are great. The bottom line is NA engines are less efficient when it comes to fuel while providing similar power.

I don't believe that my last statement in anyway stated i was "displeased" with Turbo engines. If anything I'm all for them. Its just taken BMW a long time to admit that Turbo charging is the way forward because everybody was stuck in their ways into thinking that NA is what "BMW is all about". Yes, this was the case back in the day, but not anymore! Its all about Forced induction!

I can't really comment on BMW ownership and BMW NA engines as i've never owned one, hence the 1M will be my first. All i do know is that my last four cars have had turbo's and i wouldn't buy another NA engine again.

Last edited by Hotrod99; 06-06-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #60
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you really want to hear the RS3 listen to this. You'll see how quick this car really is.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #61
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My bad I miss read your previous post then

Quote:
I don't believe that my last statement in anyway stated i was "displeased" with Turbo engines. If anything I'm all for them. Its just taken BMW a long time to admit that Turbo charging is the way forward because everybody was stuck in their ways into thinking that NA is what "BMW is all about". Yes, this was the case back in the day, but not anymore! Its all about Forced induction!

I can't really comment on BMW ownership and BMW NA engines as i've never owned one, hence the 1M will be my first. All i do know is that my last four cars have had turbo's and i wouldn't buy another NA engine again.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #62
Capt Slow
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i Sport Individual

One thing I just cannot understand is the RS3 exhaust. You can buy an A4 1.8T with dual symmetrical exhausts. This is a car that is significantly more expensive/desirable, yet it has the same problem the 135i has. Makes it look cheap.

It is not like the engine can't accompany it, the TT RS has them for gods sake. Even the Golf R and Scirocco R have symmetrical dual exhausts, and in the Golfs case, an AWD system, (albeit, a different one) so it is not like the platform cannot support it. Does anyone know why this is?

Also, the Focus ST(XR5) is awesome fun, so I can only imagine what the RS is like. Just a shame it looks so try-hardish. If it looked like the ST, it'd be a tempting proposition.

The only reason why I see the 1M in this caparison is because they wanted an all Euro fleet. An Evo would have been much better suited than the 1M. The 1M hands down.
      06-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #63
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

More than anything its just a poor effort on Audi's part.
Plain and outright lazy. I mean the TTS has quad pipes and doesn't have anywhere near the performance of the RS3.

This so called special edition version of the A3 looks no different overall compared to that of an S3 sportback. Only difference is wider front track and deep air intakes.

What the Audi lacks in the looks dept is made up for by the 1M and Focus.
The focus looks like an animal
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #64
Capt Slow
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i Sport Individual

I can't help but feel that the RS3's development was perhaps rushed. The fact it was released so close to the 1M is a pretty big coincidence. The exhausts on one side, the red wheels and only 5 door guise, no thanks.
      06-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #65
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Slow View Post
I can't help but feel that the RS3's development was perhaps rushed. The fact it was released so close to the 1M is a pretty big coincidence. The exhausts on one side, the red wheels and only 5 door guise, no thanks.
And more importantly no Manual Gearbox!

Rushed is definately the right word considering Audi had no planned production build dates for those who had deposits down. It was supposed to be launched in May but Audi are saying that 150 of the 400 cars will be delivered this year with the rest following in 2012! At least BMW were a little more organised in this respect!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #66
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

if turbo charged engine feels like N/A, i do not have problem with them + all the benefits of turbo (efficiency).
Appreciate 0