BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #5369
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon
So, I have already posted this in another thread. Today I picked up my barely used black with red interior 135is convertible with <7000 miles. I really like the car. Here is a side view and a front view with my Carmax saleslady, LynnDee from the Salt Lake City Carmax:

Attachment 1325290

Attachment 1325291
ahhh fantastic! Congrats!

So now you have a 1M, a 135is cab, and a 135i coupe??! Crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #5370
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
ahhh fantastic! Congrats!

So now you have a 1M, a 135is cab, and a 135i coupe??! Crazy!!
The 1-Series is clearly where it is at if you are seeking a car that drives like an old "real" BMW, but has a lot of the modern accouterments to go along with it, not the least, safety features. It is basically a late 1980s early 1990s 3-Series, with 2 doors, a more powerful engine, and other modern, especially safety, features.

If I wanted to complete my collection then I'd get a lower mileage 128i with a sports package. I am out of garage space at this point, however, although if one dropped in my lap I might have to reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #5371
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Do it!!. Get the 128i. My plan for a few years from now is to pick one up that was driven by someone, errr female and young (is this too stereotypical for here) not an enthusiast in most likely white (most common color for 128 I have seen in my area). Then turn it into a dedicated track car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #5372
GR1P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Fully built, tell me what you think.

Im actually selling it right now.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200501
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #5373
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

So i just purchased a 135is. Its getting shipped to me and should be here in 7 days. I am really excited. Anyway i noticed a lot people on here have their production number in their signature like "000/586" how do i find my production #? ive been a lurker on here for quite some time thanks for all the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #5374
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade135 View Post
So i just purchased a 135is. Its getting shipped to me and should be here in 7 days. I am really excited. Anyway i noticed a lot people on here have their production number in their signature like "000/586" how do i find my production #? ive been a lurker on here for quite some time thanks for all the info.
Congrats, what are the specs on your 135is and where did you find it?

See this sticky thread for info on production numbers: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861241
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #5375
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Congrats, what are the specs on your 135is and where did you find it?

See this sticky thread for info on production numbers: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861241
Thanks! I actually found it at carmax. it's Le Mans blue DCT with Black interior and Blue stitching. As far as I can tell it has every available option. Nav, heated seats, Harmon Kardon, back up sensors, adaptive headlights. Unless there options I don't know of I believe it has it all. When it arrives I will post pics and I'm sure I will have many more questions to ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #5376
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I actually found it at carmax. it's Le Mans blue DCT with Black interior and Blue stitching. As far as I can tell it has every available option. Nav, heated seats, Harmon Kardon, back up sensors, adaptive headlights. Unless there options I don't know of I believe it has it all. When it arrives I will post pics and I'm sure I will have many more questions to ask.
AFAIK, the only options are...

Paint
DCT
Technology Package = iDrive, Nav,
Premium Package = Leather, Comfort Access, Auto Dim + Dip mirrors, Garage Door opener thing (IDK), back up sensors, alarm
HK Audio
Auto Highbeams
Active Steering

The last two options are almost non existent.

With all that said, Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #5377
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

I took the 135is Vert in to the dealer today to have an oil change, general lookover, and tire change (to Michelin AS/3 non-RFT). They told me that although there are 3 1Ms they service (one of them being my VO), they have never had a 135is in the dealership. After looking over the car, the tech (whom I know well) told me it is basically a brand new car with nothing wrong with it. He was glad that I did the oil change even though Carmax did one 2 months ago, because the aftermarket filter they used was garbage and beginning to deteriorate. It was really cold and windy today, and I am very surprised to see how well insulated these convertibles are.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #5378
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I took the 135is Vert in to the dealer today to have an oil change, general lookover, and tire change (to Michelin AS/3 non-RFT). They told me that although there are 3 1Ms they service (one of them being my VO), they have never had a 135is in the dealership. After looking over the car, the tech (whom I know well) told me it is basically a brand new car with nothing wrong with it. He was glad that I did the oil change even though Carmax did one 2 months ago, because the aftermarket filter they used was garbage and beginning to deteriorate. It was really cold and windy today, and I am very surprised to see how well insulated these convertibles are.
Congrats, sounds like you found a good one! And yes, the verts are surprisingly quiet and well insulated with the top up (which should only occur when absolutely necessary)!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #5379
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post

Wow, this is perfect.
Good luck selling it and with whatever comes next.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #5380
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/kristinedavid/media/135is_0_zps76lgo3ls.jpg.html]

Unfortunately, my stable is now full. I mentioned the car to the service and tech people in my (Boise) dealership today, in case anyone would have interest.

Good luck on the sale, looks to be a very interesting car!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #5381
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Pretty cool to have some more enthusiasts here showing up now that people are starting to sell the car as we approach the 3-year date.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #5382
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Pretty cool to have some more enthusiasts here showing up now that people are starting to sell the car as we approach the 3-year date.
I think a lot of the 2nd owners will keep their cars a really really really long time. The people who jumped on these when they came out were a mixture of those looking for the latest greatest thing, combined with those who could see the handwriting on the wall and who realized that the end of the era of the "ultimate driving machine" was near. Those who just wanted the latest thing will move on, as they always do. The real driving enthusiasts will hold on because what is coming in the future is not like this; it may be faster but it is going to be disconnected from the driving experience.

In speaking with the tech who worked on my 135is vert today, he said that in 2017 all of the BMWs will be sold in hybrid form, which he said means they all will be 8 speed automatics and the systems will be incompatible with a MT. He wasn't sure if this also applied to the M-models, but definitely it would be true for the regular series cars. This means no more manual transmission vehicles, except (maybe) for a few M's. Bye Bye BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #5383
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
AFAIK, the only options are...

Paint
DCT
Technology Package = iDrive, Nav,
Premium Package = Leather, Comfort Access, Auto Dim + Dip mirrors, Garage Door opener thing (IDK), back up sensors, alarm
HK Audio
Auto Highbeams
Active Steering

The last two options are almost non existent.

With all that said, Welcome!
Thanks, I dont believe it has the auto highbeams or adaptive steering, I'll have to check for that when it arrives. Right now I'm looking to order a CF rear spoiler (most likely the bmw performance one) unless someone makes an identical version from the after market. Other than that I'm tinting the Windows. My current plan is to keep it as close to factory as possible. But you know how that goes haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #5384
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Do it!!. Get the 128i. My plan for a few years from now is to pick one up that was driven by someone, errr female and young (is this too stereotypical for here) not an enthusiast in most likely white (most common color for 128 I have seen in my area). Then turn it into a dedicated track car.
My mechanic at the local dealer doesn't like the engine in the 128i. He says he has seen some problems with them and he would not personally own one. This is not the first time he has said that to me. I'm not really sure what the problems were, but he did mention previously that it was the magnesium in the 128i engine that he didn't like.

Again, no specifics, and given the lack of time I never pressed him on it, to be more specific.

I've personally test driven a 128i with the sport package in San Diego recently and I liked the car, from the driver's perspective.

I think it is really unlikely that I will buy another 1-Series car, given what I already have. If I dispose of my STi, then I might possibly buy another BMW, but it would have to be more practical than just another 2 door coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #5385
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I dont believe it has the auto highbeams or adaptive steering, I'll have to check for that when it arrives. Right now I'm looking to order a CF rear spoiler (most likely the bmw performance one) unless someone makes an identical version from the after market. Other than that I'm tinting the Windows. My current plan is to keep it as close to factory as possible. But you know how that goes haha.
Lots of aftermarket manufacturers create very close replicas to the original BMWP CF Rear Spoiler but I personally wouldn't risk my dough on something not perfect. After all, I'm getting a spoiler mainly for looks.

Although I haven't started modding yet (aside from a pair of BMWP plate frames), I know I won't be able to stop once I do start modding. I know one thing for sure, I won't be touching this car's power/torque.

I'm interested in tinting too! Do you have any suggestions as to what's legal/illegal in CA? I've been scared to do it because I didn't know the details for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #5386
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lots of aftermarket manufacturers create very close replicas to the original BMWP CF Rear Spoiler but I personally wouldn't risk my dough on something not perfect. After all, I'm getting a spoiler mainly for looks.

Although I haven't started modding yet (aside from a pair of BMWP plate frames), I know I won't be able to stop once I do start modding. I know one thing for sure, I won't be touching this car's power/torque.

I'm interested in tinting too! Do you have any suggestions as to what's legal/illegal in CA? I've been scared to do it because I didn't know the details for it.
Check with gregthegr8; he's the all-knowing tint guru in CA and can give you some good suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #5387
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think a lot of the 2nd owners will keep their cars a really really really long time. The people who jumped on these when they came out were a mixture of those looking for the latest greatest thing, combined with those who could see the handwriting on the wall and who realized that the end of the era of the "ultimate driving machine" was near. Those who just wanted the latest thing will move on, as they always do. The real driving enthusiasts will hold on because what is coming in the future is not like this; it may be faster but it is going to be disconnected from the driving experience.
Recall that when the 135is came out, it was end of life for the 1 series. The 1 series was old news, not the latest and greatest. It seems the only people who really knew about the 135is were the enthusiasts who realized this was a pretty sweet package with the last of the hydraulic steering, etc. I do agree we will see turnover, though, as some of these were leased for a variety of reasons and may not be bought out at the end of the lease. The 135is has built up a good following, so a lot of the first and second owners could keep them for a while. It will be interesting to see how their "potential" collectibility plays out in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #5388
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

so i checked my Vin and mines #319/586

whats best price on the CF spoiler? i havent seen one under $400
thats the only reason i was considering an after market replica.
also im wondering if my car will come with the ppk stickers or not. i would like to get those as well.

As far as tint goes in California any tint on anything other than the back 3 windows is illegal, currently my Audi TT has 35% tint all the way around which is fairly light even on a black car with black interior. so far i haven't gotten a ticket for it even after bring pulled over for speeding multiple times
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #5389
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so i checked my Vin and mines #319/586

whats best price on the CF spoiler? i havent seen one under $400
thats the only reason i was considering an after market replica.
also im wondering if my car will come with the ppk stickers or not. i would like to get those as well.

As far as tint goes in California any tint on anything other than the back 3 windows is illegal, currently my Audi TT has 35% tint all the way around which is fairly light even on a black car with black interior. so far i haven't gotten a ticket for it even after bring pulled over for speeding multiple times
I'm thinking of just waiting for some one to sell a decent condition one in the forum at my desired price. I've seen (mildly) damaged ones come between 100 and 200 USD. I do not want to go through the hassle of having CF parts fixed.

My car did not come with the ppk stickers. I'd like to get some though.

I just did some searching and found that the legal limit for front side windows is 70% and you can go as dark as possible with the rear and rear side windows. Would 70% be anywhere near functional? I only want to reduce the amount of heat. I'll most likely take the risk and go for a 50% or even 35% if they're not that obvious.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #5390
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking of just waiting for some one to sell a decent condition one in the forum at my desired price. I've seen (mildly) damaged ones come between 100 and 200 USD. I do not want to go through the hassle of having CF parts fixed.

My car did not come with the ppk stickers. I'd like to get some though.

I just did some searching and found that the legal limit for front side windows is 70% and you can go as dark as possible with the rear and rear side windows. Would 70% be anywhere near functional? I only want to reduce the amount of heat. I'll most likely take the risk and go for a 50% or even 35% if they're not that obvious.
if you are only worried about the heat get 70% ceramic tint, it will be virtually unnoticeable and block a ton of heat.
Appreciate 0