BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 6MT

Hit n' Run Incident - Need new front bumper!

While I was in class last Thursday night at my community college, some idiot rubbed against the side of my front bumper and left the scene! It must have been a huge truck or SUV since it was rubber transferred from a tire. I went to the police and was unfortunately told that since there was no paint transfer and no eye-witness, there was nothing they could do. Here's a picture of the damage:

After talking to insurance, I'd have a $500 deductible to fix my non-sport 128i front bumper and it would get reported on CarFax as an accident. This doesn't seem like an appealing option to me at all. I'd rather buy a new sport/aftermarket bumper that I was going to look into at the end of the year anyway, and then get it painted. I know I could get the genuine BMW M Sport Bumper from Turner, or I could look into 1M replicas on eBay. Opinions? Other awesome front bumpers you'd recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmatageShanks View Post
While I was in class last Thursday night at my community college, some idiot rubbed against the side of my front bumper and left the scene! It must have been a huge truck or SUV since it was rubber transferred from a tire. I went to the police and was unfortunately told that since there was no paint transfer and no eye-witness, there was nothing they could do. Here's a picture of the damage:

After talking to insurance, I'd have a $500 deductible to fix my non-sport 128i front bumper and it would get reported on CarFax as an accident. This doesn't seem like an appealing option to me at all. I'd rather buy a new sport/aftermarket bumper that I was going to look into at the end of the year anyway, and then get it painted. I know I could get the genuine BMW M Sport Bumper from Turner, or I could look into 1M replicas on eBay. Opinions? Other awesome front bumpers you'd recommend?
What insurance company do you have? Sorry to hear about their response. Might be time to switch up your policy.
      06-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
What insurance company do you have? Sorry to hear about their response. Might be time to switch up your policy.
Not surprising. Hit and run tends to fall under comprehensive coverage. Regardless of insurance provider, you will almost always pay the comp deductible (assuming you have comp coverage on the car).

To the OP, I would def fix it out of pocket if possible. An accident on a carfax will always hurt, as dealers or perspective purchasers will use it as leverage to offer less. Even if it's a small accident like in your case, it's now considered "branded" in a sense by an accident being reported. I speak from experience lol. Assuming it's just the bumper cover, I can't see that repair going over 1k to respray and potentially blend. Good luck with the fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Is it just paint damage or is the bumper/mounting system cracked as far as you can tell?

My point being you may just be able to touch it up/polish it out. If nothing else this would be a nice temporary fix.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

That's hardly any damage, I would wipe all that off with adhesive remover and go from there
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
Is it just paint damage or is the bumper/mounting system cracked as far as you can tell?

My point being you may just be able to touch it up/polish it out. If nothing else this would be a nice temporary fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx View Post
That's hardly any damage, I would wipe all that off with adhesive remover and go from there
I'm going to remove all the rubber and see how bad the scuffs/scratches are. From there, I'll see what needs to be done. Still, gives me an excuse to finally upgrade my non-sport bumper So, anyone recommend any aftermarket bumpers, or should I go OEM with the Sport bumper?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #7
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm going to remove all the rubber and see how bad the scuffs/scratches are. From there, I'll see what needs to be done. Still, gives me an excuse to finally upgrade my non-sport bumper So, anyone recommend any aftermarket bumpers, or should I go OEM with the Sport bumper?
Haha, it all makes sense now... I bet you know someone with a lifted truck!

Haha just kidding.

Personally I love the M sport bumper. The BMW Performance Bumper is also nice but I like the M sport one better. The 1M bumpers are a nice touch but IMO they look really weird without the widebody fenders.

My vote is M sport.

BMW Perf:

Vs.

M Sport:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haha, it all makes sense now... I bet you know someone with a lifted truck!

Haha just kidding.

Personally I love the M sport bumper. The BMW Performance Bumper is also nice but I like the M sport one better. The 1M bumpers are a nice touch but IMO they look really weird without the widebody fenders.

My vote is M sport.

BMW Perf:

Vs.

M Sport:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm really liking both of those. This is a hard decision haha!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Is your comprehensive insurance coverage really have a $500 deductible? Most companies its a zero deductable.

I have always loved the Performance spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Is your comprehensive insurance coverage really have a $500 deductible? Most companies its a zero deductable.

Yes, it really is $500. Even if it was $0, I still don't want this showing up on a CarFax.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Mine is 500 as well. It might be a North American thing lol.

Hit and run, fall asleep at the wheel, doesn't matter. If I'm at fault, or they don't have a party they can prove is at fault/accepted fault it comes out of my pocket.

A not at fault claim will not increase my rates though, but I will still need to pay $500 if I use insurance

One of the reasons I decided to get a dash cam lol

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
ArmatageShanks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine is 500 as well. It might be a North American thing lol.

Hit and run, fall asleep at the wheel, doesn't matter. If I'm at fault, or they don't have a party they can prove is at fault/accepted fault it comes out of my pocket.

A not at fault claim will not increase my rates though, but I will still need to pay $500 if I use insurance

One of the reasons I decided to get a dash cam lol
I have been considering getting a dash cam for the last few months. Now I wish I had one.

Just finished cleaning the bumper. Doesn't look nearly as bad anymore.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

That's not bad at all, you can wet sand and buff any scratches that are left. Really no need to get a new bumper imo
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

I could tell from the first picture you didn't need a new bumper lol
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjetta View Post
I could tell from the first picture you didn't need a new bumper lol
Sounds like OP just wants an excuse to get a new bumper lol.

Also, OP, if you do get a new bumper, maybe splurge and get a clear bra at the same time. It will keep the rocks and such off the paint but also would have saved the paint in this case. I'm sure the clear bra would have been pulled off for the most part in that place but I would be willing to bet there would be no paint pulled.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #16
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Most companies will offer a $0 deductible on comp or collision, at a cost higher than the $500 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #17
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have been considering getting a dash cam for the last few months. Now I wish I had one.

Just finished cleaning the bumper. Doesn't look nearly as bad anymore.

Wow that cleaned up better than I imagined it would. Honestly, any competent body shop should be able to fix that for a few bills max.
Appreciate 0