BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
MarinJeff
The Stig
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question Coupe or Convertible?!

Hi 1addicts!

This is my first post to the forum (though I have loved my daily dose of 1addicts for months!). I am looking to order a 135i in the very near future and for months all I have dreamed of was a coupe. All of a sudden I began to think about the upside of a vert: weekend drives top down and enjoying the beautiful sunny weather. Still I love the coupe for its more sporting looks and, more importantly, its ~300lb weight advantage and greater rigidity.

I have driven the 135i in 6mt on 3 separate occasions. All times with the coupe. Am I ridiculous for even considering the vert or do the pleasures of open air roading trump the greater sport and clean lines of the coupe?

Thanks for your help!

Marin Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

your a guy? get the coupe

better center of gravity, and the verts look girly
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

I don't think the 'vert looks "girly" at all. If I were buying for myself, I'd probably just get the coupe to keep the price down. My wife thinks we need a convertible, though, so who am I to argue? :wink:

I've owned 2 convertibles in the past, and driving top down on a warm summer evening may be one of the finest feelings in the world. Do what makes you happy. Lord knows you've got the weather for it in Marin.

Edit: if you're looking for a car to track at all, I'd get the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

This may be a small thing to most people but that antenna on the convertible looks horrible. They really should have made that integrated like on the E93.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

your WIFE thinks you need a convertible... hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
MarinJeff
The Stig
Rep
Drives: 135i

LOL! How did you know I had a wife?! But seriously, how much handling/performance do you give up with the vert?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

the problem is all that added weight on the TOP of the car... that makes the body roll during hard cornering. imagine trying to be nimble while holding a crate of milk over your head. you can't turn on a dime any more. you draaaaaaag
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinJeff View Post
... how much handling/performance do you give up with the vert?
On the skidpad, Road & Track got .91g with a 135i coupe and Car and Driver recorded .88g with a 128i convertible - both cars having the Sport Package. The coupe had 18" wheels and Bridgestone 050A rubber while the convertible had 17" wheels with the Goodyear NCT 5 "touring" tires.
Naturally, the 135i 0~60 was much better at 4.8" vs. 6.2" for the 128i. IIRC, BMW quotes about .2" difference between comparable coupes & droptops.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
pwillcutts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
the problem is all that added weight on the TOP of the car... that makes the body roll during hard cornering. imagine trying to be nimble while holding a crate of milk over your head. you can't turn on a dime any more. you draaaaaaag

Not all of us are looking to hit the track....

But you'll find lots of "enthusiasts" on these forums insist on the coupe as the only way to get the purest performance from the 135...which is true no doubt.....

But of course, most of us won't ever see a track with our 135....coupe or 'vert....

so get the one that you'll enjoy...I went with the 'vert. Sticks and stones and name calling from the more "manly" :bs:coupe owners aside (how old are they anyways??)....I plan on enjoying the top down all summer long...

135i Convertible
Crimson Red w/ Taupe soft top
Taupe 'ette & Light Burl Walnut trim
Steptronic
Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
No top Al
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Convertible or not

Speaking has the future owner of a 135i convertible, it's not that ridiculous to consider the topless version. As far as performance, your talking .3 difference from zero to sixty. Ask yourself, what you want? A car that you will take to the track and or drive it to its' limits back roads of San Rafael. Well then the smart choice would be the Coupe. On the other hand, most driver's won't do that. I had an 2002 M3 Convertible and to be perfectly frank it was damn fast for my needs (passing and getting on the freeway.) Looking at the numbers, this car is slightly faster, so I will be even more happier. The only thing I have a problem with is the $6000.00 price increase over the Coupe. You may have some leverage in lowering that price since generally convertibles fall into a "niche market" and demand is not as high as the hard top.. Both Cars are great....Enjoy whatever you choose
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

1.) The 135i Vert looks anything but "girly". I love how some people without confidence in their own manhood are quick to place labels on cars they don't feel confortable driving. In the ongoing quest to establish in their own minds that they are in fact not gay, they like to put down anything they see as not supporting their perception of manhood.

2.) The 135i Vert has the M body kit, exact same suspension and motor as the coupe. Take a look at this thread with Tex's 135i Vert...girly? I think not...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ictures&page=2

3.) The Vert is 5k more, not 6k. Just to be accurate.

4.) There is nothing cooler then experiencing the power and handling of the 1 then doing it with the top down. Oh yea :biggrin:
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep

meh, im cool with a moonroof and windows down.

the one is so light that you can feel the weight added at the top of the car through body roll. it does not ruin the car. pwillcuts hit it on the head when he said "enthusiasts" should get the coupe.

if your going to ask an internet forum which car you should get, you are obviously swayed by opinions. Those same person is the type that will steer away from something people MIGHT label a "chick" car. If your comfortable in your own skin, rock the vert! Im just busting balls as usual. If there is doubts in your mind, you have already made your own decision. Being a convertible driver is a special breed.

... oh yeah, verts are for queers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

MarinJeff,

I want to address this in the most serious and respectful way for you.

I made the mistake of getting the Coupe instead of the Convertible. I absolutely love the Coupe, and yet in spite of that, everytime I was driving around in such glorious weather, I knew in my heart that nothing could be more FUN than the Convertible. So, I did the unthinkable. I am trading in a brand new 135i Coupe so that I can get the Convertible. What I'm really purchasing is a prescription for F-U-N!!!!!!!

The idea that a Convertible is for girls, is a cheap shot that is designed to make you doubt your manhood. Do you really believe any of that baloney? I wonder about the insecurity that would suggest it. I've had a convertible for many, many years, and I've never regretted it!! Yet, I owned the 135i Coupe for just a matter of days before I regretted that it wasn't a Convertible.

How many guys in Coupes wish they could take the top down from time to time... vs... how many guys in Convertibles wish they had ordered a coupe? BTW, how can it ever be a problem if a chic likes you car... afterall, you go along with it. And if that doesnt' matter to you, then just be secure.

As has been mentioned, your weather in Marin is spectacular. You wouldn't have even mentioned any of this "coupe vs. convertible" thing, if you hadn't already known in the back of your head, or in your heart, that the convertible is tons more fun. Now that said, if it's all about tracking the car, then that changes everything. Otherwise... get the CONVERTIBLE!!!!
      05-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #14
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
Not correct. The top's frame and cloth are not the issue. The added weight is well down into the car's lower components. That's where you'll find the extensive chassis stiffening that goes into a 'vert because the car doesn't have the hard roof, and thus it needs to have extra added rigidity.

That said, the 135i 'vert is a major screamer. You won't be thinking that you've somehow sacrificed tons of performance by not getting the Coupe. Just not the case at all.

Consider that in many cars, not just the 135i, the 'vert is considered the higher-tiered and more exclusive version.
      05-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

I was going to get involved in this but TagMan can win this one all on his own. Nicely done.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #16
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WannaBe View Post
Edit: if you're looking for a car to track at all, I'd get the coupe.
Definitely keep this in mind. Most tracks wont allow you to run a convertible unless it has a full roll bar installed.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Well said Tagman..you have left us all high and dry with no other comment to add..WELL DONE..
And if you ever met me, you would know i am anything BUT girly..hahahaa
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
bski
Banned
Rep
Drives:

I had the same issue before going for the vert. Matter of fact, I posted same thread b4 I made my final decision.(remember Tag!)
I went for the vert for extra fun aspect of driving my 1er. Think Tag hit the nail on the head saying how many coupe owners wished they got the vert/etc.
I never wished I got the coupe! Especially on those 75 degree days. Also love the extra attention you get with the vert.
Yea, not all of us want/need to run on a track! Also, I was having issues in my purchase....I only wanted to spend no more than like 40k. It was either the 135 coupe or the 128 vert because of the costs involved. You can start getting close to 50k with the 135 vert!
I opted for the 128 vert and couldnt be happier!
Tag was right tho, I should of got the SP, but Ill live!
What ever route you go enjoy! Its so much fun to drive!
btw, I did see the white vert and no way would want to be driving that. Get the vert in the silver or black like I did.(terra int.) No way a "girly" car but sure attracts em!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #19
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

^^^^^^
Go for thhe ragtop OP, you'll never regret it..
      05-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

If your a drive kinda hard guy.. you'll never regreat getting the coupe..

if your the rollin through the city or country side checking out the sights and sights kinda guy.. then get the vert, you'll never regreat it.. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #21
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast kiwi View Post

if your the rollin through the city or country side checking out the sights and sights kinda guy.. then get the vert, you'll never regreat it.. lol
Again, this kind of well-intentioned idea is misrepresentative to a large degree. You can easily drive the 'vert hard... very hard, and to levels that are crazy. There shouldn't be any doubt about it. It's not just some kind of lazy, rolling-through-the-countryside kind of car.

As Dan correctly pointed out, if you truly intend to track this car purchase, then the Coupe could be a better choice since some tracks do not allow the 'vert without a rollbar.

And... consider that the bigger difference in performance is not the difference between the body styles anyway... but is the difference between the 128i and the 135i. THAT's the biggest difference.
      05-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast kiwi View Post

I'll have no trouble hanging my tail out on the corners of those country side roads, thank you very much.

Appreciate 0