BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Performance Exhaust, Y-Pipe

Looking to get the BMW performance exhaust for my 08 135i. There is a used one for sale but doesn't include the Y-Pipe. Can someone tell me what the y-pipe do?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Noise, more of it. Maybe a few whp.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you guys feel like the y-pipe adds too much noise? Seller says he took out the y-pipe because it made a droning noise at highway speed. Not sure if he's just trying to sell me on his exhaust w/o the y-pipe. I just want to know if I should get one with or with out the y-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

The y-pipe definitely adds volume, but not necessarily drone IMO. In all honestly, it is pretty tame when the engine is not under load such as when crusing down the highway. Without the y-pipe the PE is about as loud as the golf tee mod but with more burbles on downshifts. I personally prefer the sound of the PE with the y-pipe installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF you want lots of burble and crackle from the exhaust... get the y-pipe. I think it is what makes the PE sound special over the standard exhaust.

Find an PE with one... and then you can decide for yourself. 1st install just the axle back and then maybe the y-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you want lots of burble and crackle from the exhaust... get the y-pipe. I think it is what makes the PE sound special over the standard exhaust.

Find an PE with one... and then you can decide for yourself. 1st install just the axle back and then maybe the y-pipe.
While I am usually in agreement with Dack on most everything, the sound enhancement from the PE is from the muffler, not the Y pipe. I had the PE system installed with the Y pipe and experienced annoying drone/resonance at highway cruise (lower rpms like 1.8K to 2.3K). This has been reported by several others. Once I put the resonator back into the system (by adding an N55 midpipe) the drone/resonance became negligible. With the N55 midpipe (with resonator) I still have the pronounced PE exhaust sound from the muffler plus 90% of the crackling/burbling upon decelleration that I had with the Y-pipe. Disclosure: I am the aforementioned seller of the "PE muffler only".
      09-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Pablito1702 - well... I do not have a PE on my car(not yet atleast), so what you say is probably true. I only meant that the y-pipe makes the engine "bark" and crack with sound. Especially when starting a cold engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

I've had my PE (incl Y-pipe fitted) on for about 3-4 months now, and while I was someone who had an issue with the 1.8k-2.3k drone of the PE (more noticeable with my DCT tranny than a 6MT as that rev range is where the trans is programmed to keep the engine when in D mode) the PE has sooted up nicely now over the months, and I have to say the drone is less pronounced now, and I can't say I'm really bothered by it anymore.
It only drones when the engine is under low speed load, and the car is no different noise-wise at 'highway' speeds than with the OEM exhaust.

The pops n crackles are lovely in a tunnel or underground carpark
      09-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

gets rid of a resonator. not really a big deal, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
gets rid of a resonator. not really a big deal, IMO.
Echoing the above 100%

Understanding that this will also be a debate between two groups of folks, let me speak as someone that has taken the time to experiment between the two setups:

Scope of this discussion is for 135i only, with N55 mids

1) Put on the BMW PE rear section first:
I am extremely pleasantly surprised that I get so much crackle and pops, typical BMW exhaust rasp @ startup and over-run, as well as growl under WOT while this technically has 0 drone under highway speed and that I can actually carry out conversations on highway cruise as in the exhaust is close to stock

Yet, I always ask myself the "what if" question and proceeded with cutting up my mids to put on the Ypipe

2) Put on the Ypipe subsequently:
I always thought just like any Ypipe in other 6 cylinder cars that I owned, would be responsible for cleaning-up the unnecessary rasp and have nothing to do with overall volume and or drone...

I was right above the overall volume as it didn't change much, however, what caught me by surprise is that the removal of the resonator did not change the "characterisitics" and overall volume at WOT of the BMW PE at all, instead, it returns with some obvious drone under load at the 1800~2800rpm range.

Understanding that exhaust sound is extremely objective, but thought some of you might benefit from my experience as I can bet most folks who comment on the Ypipe didn't really take the time to do this comparsion exercise.

Lastly, for those that have said BMW PE minus Ypipe =/~ Stock Golf tee, I can tell you that the BMW PE minus Ypipe has a lot more rasp, crackle and pops and a very different "tone" than stock golf tee.

Hope this helps =)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What I think after going through several iteration of BMW PE setup...

Catless DP + stock midpipes (with Y Pipe) + BMW PE = too raspy sounded like i had coke cans in my exhaust....
Catless DP + custom midpipe with two bottle resonators + BMW PE = sounds awesome but i got sick of the really really loud cold start

Now I have Catless DP + Custom midpipe with two bottle resonators and two small high flow cats + BMW PE = I am still getting the same sound, burbles and crackles as the first 2 iteration but at a reduce volume and no smell (from being catless).

Very happy with it now since I don't have to wake every single house on my street when I start the car
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

godman, ReyT, thanks for your informed reviews . I like posts like these.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #13
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
godman, ReyT, thanks for your informed reviews . I like posts like these.
no problem
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmans View Post
Echoing the above 100%

Understanding that this will also be a debate between two groups of folks, let me speak as someone that has taken the time to experiment between the two setups:

Scope of this discussion is for 135i only, with N55 mids

1) Put on the BMW PE rear section first:
I am extremely pleasantly surprised that I get so much crackle and pops, typical BMW exhaust rasp @ startup and over-run, as well as growl under WOT while this technically has 0 drone under highway speed and that I can actually carry out conversations on highway cruise as in the exhaust is close to stock

Yet, I always ask myself the "what if" question and proceeded with cutting up my mids to put on the Ypipe

2) Put on the Ypipe subsequently:
I always thought just like any Ypipe in other 6 cylinder cars that I owned, would be responsible for cleaning-up the unnecessary rasp and have nothing to do with overall volume and or drone...

I was right above the overall volume as it didn't change much, however, what caught me by surprise is that the removal of the resonator did not change the "characterisitics" and overall volume at WOT of the BMW PE at all, instead, it returns with some obvious drone under load at the 1800~2800rpm range.

Understanding that exhaust sound is extremely objective, but thought some of you might benefit from my experience as I can bet most folks who comment on the Ypipe didn't really take the time to do this comparsion exercise.

Lastly, for those that have said BMW PE minus Ypipe =/~ Stock Golf tee, I can tell you that the BMW PE minus Ypipe has a lot more rasp, crackle and pops and a very different "tone" than stock golf tee.

Hope this helps =)
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking about going with the PE with N55 mids (no cat but keeps the resonator). I have a N54 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Glad that I can help
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, does anyone know if I run N55 midpipes w/ PE on a N54 135 if I will pass emissions? If I understand correctly, the only difference between N55 and M54 midpipes is N55 midpipes doesn't have cats. I'm planning on moving in 1.5 years and I really don't want to put the old N54 pipes back in the car just so I can register the car in another state and put the N55 pipes back.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

I believe the secondary cats on the N54 are outside the O2 sensors loop so no emissions issues. I have an N55 with PE and resonator and it sounds about perfect with no drone. Like many have said it should have come that way from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got my hands on a used N55 mid pipe and PE. Can't wait to install it and hear how it sounds. Next up. Intake!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
larramy
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Thought I would chime in with my experience.

I currently have the Agency Power catless DP installed with stock N54 midpipes, y-pipe (that came with the PE), and of course, the PE axleback.

No idea how the PE alone sounds because I installed it together with my DPs. Should have done it in stages, but I was rushing the parts for a track day Right now, my car seriously sounds like a tin can and the excessive drone at about 2000rpm is driving me mad! Its so bad I might consider removing my DPs after next weekend's trackday!!

I dropped by a local exhaust shop and was told I should change the fibre lining in the axleback since I have had it for awhile. That might help reduce the drone by 20-30%. I think that is just BS for $150. Easier to just remove the DPs and compromise on 20bhp.

Anyone with just the y-pipes and axleback installed? How is that working out for you guys? Is the drone bearable? Or should I remove the y-pipe? That would be a PITA 'cause I cut my midpipes to have them installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larramy View Post
Thought I would chime in with my experience.

I currently have the Agency Power catless DP installed with stock N54 midpipes, y-pipe (that came with the PE), and of course, the PE axleback.

No idea how the PE alone sounds because I installed it together with my DPs. Should have done it in stages, but I was rushing the parts for a track day Right now, my car seriously sounds like a tin can and the excessive drone at about 2000rpm is driving me mad! Its so bad I might consider removing my DPs after next weekend's trackday!!

I dropped by a local exhaust shop and was told I should change the fibre lining in the axleback since I have had it for awhile. That might help reduce the drone by 20-30%. I think that is just BS for $150. Easier to just remove the DPs and compromise on 20bhp.

Anyone with just the y-pipes and axleback installed? How is that working out for you guys? Is the drone bearable? Or should I remove the y-pipe? That would be a PITA 'cause I cut my midpipes to have them installed.
you need resonator to get rid your rasp (tin can).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
larramy
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyT View Post
you need resonator to get rid your rasp (tin can).
That is what I thought, but the exhaust shop guy said this is inherent in cars with catless DPs. I will get that done. How much do you guys pay for resonators?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larramy View Post
That is what I thought, but the exhaust shop guy said this is inherent in cars with catless DPs. I will get that done. How much do you guys pay for resonators?
it removed mine so i am only saying from first hand experience (read my post up there if you havent)
Appreciate 0