BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Passenger Airbag

So my wife is pretty petite. She's 5ft 105lbs. I would say 1/3 of the time when she sits in the passenger seat, the airbag light by the sunroof lights up telling us the passenger airbag is deactivated. Sometimes if she readjust herself, the light will go away. Sometimes I won't. I took it to the dealership and they checked the sensor out and said everything was fine. They couldn't find any problem with the sensor or the system. They said she might just be on the threshold of the sensor. What can I do to make sure the airbag is activated everytime she's in the car and just not part of the time? Anyone have problems with this?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
This is honestly a strange problem to have. Because most 135i owners get pissed because a simple gallon of milk sets off the sensors. I know mine does. You may have to have the sensors recalibrated. I know thats something that likely the dealer would never check, but if they were calibrated in correctly at the factor (meaning likely someone forgot to add the weights when they calibrated them.) this could happen. Might wanna ask your dealer if they can check the calibration of the seat module itself and see how much the seat reads with someone sitting in it and compare that to the weight the module sees.

Honestly if this issue does happen, its unexceptable and BMW should fix it for you, its a safety risk which costs nothing to fix, even if they have to dumb down the sensor.
Appreciate 0