BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

What do you do when it's too cold to wash?

Was wondering...

There's no way I'd go out to wash my car when it's freezing out there... And right now it looks more like a black car then AW
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
I wash mine anyway... shivering all the way.
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hind View Post
I wash mine anyway... shivering all the way.
Well by cold I most certainly don't mean Florida..

I'm talking about below freezing temps... When if you take your gloves off you won't last too long
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Drive to florida and wash it there.

Sorry, don't have that problem here either
      11-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

What I personally prefer is to wash with the Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR). This only requires a bucket of water from inside the house, I use warm water. Pour in the ONR and begin washing, when you are done no rinsing is needed. I know it may sound different but it's a proven method that is safe and effective. I also wear a rubber glove to help keep my hand dry. We also have a package deal if interested - DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR.

Worst case scenario I would take it to a touch free car wash, don't get the spray on wax. However with the recycled water and really high pressure sprayers it's not exactly a great option.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
bet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

ONR here also with the two bucket method. I never use on heavy dirt or salt. When one of the vehicles is really dirty I prewash the heavy stuff off at the touchless place where I can wash it myself with a wand. No issues just don't try and get the vehicle totally clean at the touchless place...just knock off the grime from winter. In summer I use a foam gun.
      11-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Sucks for us guys with custom wheels. Drive thru wash is not an option. But that's a good idea from Greg.
      11-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I had a floor drain put in my garage when I had my house built. I have a 3 car garage and the floor has a gentle slope to the middle where the drain is. I can wash my cars in my garage if it is cold out. I still have to be careful with the hose as the ceiling is gyprock (drywalll) and shouldn't get wet. I don't do it too often but it sure is nice when I use it. The best is if they have salted the roads (not too common in Vancouver...more rain here) I can give the car a rinse off.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Man up
      11-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
Man up
Yup!!

I have a folding/collapsible hose, since the outside faucet is turned off for the winter. I wear lots of layers, with thermals underneath. Snow boots, more for the "waterproofness". Winter hat & no jacket. I like the layers of sweaters, because jackets have zippers and buttons that can touch the paint.

Here's the golden ticket......fill up your buckets from your sink with hot water. I wear 2 layers of rubber gloves. Stops the wind chill and a layer of water builds up in between them, and stays a little warmer. Also, i switched to the LC grout sponge last year. This is much better than a mitt in the winter. Your fingers turn numb being inside that mitt in the winter time.

You've gotta dry it fast before the water freezes into a thin sheet of ice. if that does happen, ill melt it with my palm.

You dont have to expect a perfect job in the winter, like on your day off in June. Just get her clean, and mostly dry. Your car will still look tons better than most of the cars on the road. Plus, working in the cold motivates you to work faster. Ill wash my car in 1/2 the time it takes me on a nice summer day. Plus, it'll get dirty much faster with all of the crap on the road, and douche bags in front of you using their washer fluid on the highway.

Now.......I wish I clayed/polished/sealed/waxed the car a month ago.....its friggin cold here in NY!!!!!!!!! MAN UP!!!

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Yup, no such thing as 'too cold to wash'!

OK, I know it says Arizona, and if anything, we have the opposite problem: 'too HOT to wash'! Anyway, I haven't always lived here. You just get on with it, use warm water. Mind, I recall times when I had to replace the water because it had cooled off too much.

Graeme
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Just pay some one to do it for you ... as simple as that:-):-):-)
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Just pay some one to do it for you ... as simple as that:-):-):-)
BINGO finally some who's making sense hahaha

I'm trying to do that but the closest person I trust to do it is about 30-35 min and it's virtually impossible for me to visit his shop on a weekday.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
ivanlo_0120
Enlisted Member
Rep

pay $10.00 to your neighbor's kid
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlo_0120 View Post
pay $10.00 to your neighbor's kid
Make sure he uses Dawn or Tide, moms old dish sponge, one potato salad bucket (wheels & paint), and some of dads old t-shirts from that summer in Myrtle beach to dry it.

Make sure he uses the terribly dirty shop vac & loads of armor-all inside.

If he runs out of Tide, just tell him to Windex the car (seen it done)

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
Make sure he uses Dawn or Tide, moms old dish sponge, one potato salad bucket (wheels & paint), and some of dads old t-shirts from that summer in Myrtle beach to dry it.

I live in downtown Harrisburg, PA. Before I worry about any of that I'd worry about him stealing my car
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Greg, I still don't understand how you measure the ONR to with the bucket method. I really need me some of this product along with a 2 bucket supply of warm water everytime.
For Now I have 2 buckets, no grit guard, and Zymol "clear" shampoo. Since I have no grit guards (lost them!?) I have been using between 3 and 4 wash mits. It works well for now..but the cold is here in Northeastern PA and I can't even get to waxing my car...Forget about that very specific new- car paint correction I wanted....I just need a second waxing & full detail before the extreme cold comes in Dec and January.

I am washing my car tomorrow morning! Have to do it by hand!
Looks like tomorrow I have only 2 hours to hand wash and dry my car (including a full wheel clean and polish). I'm planning on folowing that up with plenty of spray detail applications. 2 coatings of Zymol "field glaze" carnauba detailer. I'll top it off with one coating of surf city garage protective detailer spray.

It's all the time I got on my supposed "day off"!! I'm going in to work on my day off after I go and wash/clean my car tomorrow morning! Monday's requirement: Must-Have: A clean paintwork finish...and I need that extra temporary protection of a detail spray. Lets see if I can get it done!
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #18
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post

Don't worry he'll do all that anyway
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #19
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I had a floor drain put in my garage when I had my house built. I have a 3 car garage and the floor has a gentle slope to the middle where the drain is. I can wash my cars in my garage if it is cold out. I still have to be careful with the hose as the ceiling is gyprock (drywalll) and shouldn't get wet. I don't do it too often but it sure is nice when I use it. The best is if they have salted the roads (not too common in Vancouver...more rain here) I can give the car a rinse off.
Yeah, this is what I do, too. Drain in the garage floor FTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

1) Buy a couple space heaters for the garage. They will break the chill enough to wash the car without losing your fingers to frostbite.
2) Use some rinseless car wash mixed in with your regular car shampoo. It will reduce the amount of water needed for the rinse.
3) Back the car out into the drive and rinse very fast with either a hose that you keep in the garage so it won’t freeze (assuming your spigot is clear) or just dump buckets of hot water on the car.
4) Pull it back in for the drying and detailing
5) Make sure you prep for the winter by applying a long lasting finish sealant that can last the winter (or close to it) since most of these products don't go on too well once it's too cold.
6) Be sure to stop often at a touchless car wash that has undercarriage sprays. Once they come on pull into the wash bay VERY slowly to allow the hot spray to clean the underside and rinse away the salt and ice dams. You don't even need to stay for the rest of the wash it you are worried about the water quality and soap strength. But the underside spray is invaluable.

Last, check to be sure no experts in detailing have any objections to what I have said here because I'm not an expert - just someone with a method to get by in the dead of winter.
It just sucks living in cold weather climates especially those considered part of the rust belt.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #21
SinCalgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
3) Back the car out into the drive and rinse very fast with either a hose that you keep in the garage so it won’t freeze (assuming your spigot is clear) or just dump buckets of hot water on the car.
I'm no expert but all I could think reading this was that I would never get back up my icy driveway if I soaked it in freezing temps

Getting 4-6 inches of snow here tonight so tomorrow should be a fun drive!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #22
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I once watched a woman wash her car with the window squeegie at a gas station. Using the sponge side first (with the nylon bug screen), followed by a wipe down with the rubber side. Using the dirty washer bucket fluid. Nice!
Appreciate 0