05-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #45
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
Yup.. the same engine that i can not take for an 8 hour trip (both ways) to orlando because the HFPF might fail and i have to limp my way back..

Do not get me wrong i love my car and it is a fun expensive toy that keeps me smiling and i do not care while i am in the city bcz i know i can get to the dealer easily if shit happened. but I do not know what to say about long trips and reliability.

:face palm:

I make the 11 hour (both ways) trip from Syracuse to NYC twice a month and I have 60K miles on my car. I've done it in blizzards, hail storms, typhoons, and heat waves.

You know what I'm never afraid of? HPFP problems. Get over yourself and drive your damn car.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #46
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
And this thread is exactly why I hardly ever leave OT anymore...

All of you are just, well you're just idiots...

Robert, you make a valid point. At this point in time I also wouldn't trade my 49.5 K sticker 135 for a 1M
You know I would have thought the same as you guys in the past. That is, until I finally owned an M car. You have no idea how different they are to their normal siblings until you own one. After owning my M3, I could NEVER go back to driving a non M BMW. It's literally night and day. And I'm not talking about power or power delivery. I'm talking about the general dynamics of the car. Non-M cars feel sloppy when you get back into them. They feel very pedestrian. Probably a good thing for the average driver. But for someone who wants a car closer to a sports car with sports car characteristics (great steering, amazing throttle response, etc) that also makes a great daily driver, M cars deliver in spades. I haven't driven the 1M Coupe, but I'd be willing to bet that it feels like a completely different car to the 135i.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #47
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

^Having owned a couple of M's in the past, I can agree about the driving dynamics between M and non-M cars. So completely different as they should be.

Last edited by TunedM2C; 05-13-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #48
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
IS 350 vs IS-F..

The same is true of Porsche no?
They are all valid examples. Take my current situation, I own a is350 so I would not go for an IS-F as next car. If I get the Cayman S, I would not buy Cayman R after that. However that doesn't mean I won't eventually complete a full circle back to Lexus.

This is not about brands warfare or performance alone. This is about paying for an experience to understand each company and segment' ethos.

Quote:
Robert, you make a valid point. At this point in time I also wouldn't trade my 49.5 K sticker 135 for a 1M
I am glad someone understands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You know I would have thought the same as you guys in the past. That is, until I finally owned an M car. You have no idea how different they are to their normal siblings until you own one.
Radiant. As I mentioned few times in this thread already I am not arguing the value of M brand or its capability.
      05-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #49
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

You act like all of us don't want M cars, which is an idiototic assessment at best.

The financials simply don't make sense. This is what Robert was getting at and its what I agree with. I didn't spend nearly 50K on a car to get rid of it after 2 1/2 years on something equally as expensive. And I don't care what it is.

Get off your I own an M3 and that makes my version of the truth the best train and realize that some of us like to have money stored away instead of frivolously getting rid of our hard earned dollars every 2 to 3 years.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #50
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
You my friend need to read more, because you clearly don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Every post I've read by him has been mind blowingly moronic.
I do appreciate though how he at least presents his ill-logic and idiocy through decently written posts. Even though reading the content of his posts would make one stupider, at least its not so poorly written that the act alone of trying to comprehend the complete crap he's saying would make one stupider.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #51
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
Every post I've read by him has been mind blowingly moronic.
I do appreciate though how he at least presents his ill-logic and idiocy through decently written posts. Even though reading the content of his posts would make one stupider, at least its not so poorly written that the act alone of trying to comprehend the complete crap he's saying would make one stupider.
^ I guess forum guideline of no personal attack is also ill logical and below you. It's too bad there's no critical thinking supplement that comes in pill form, cause I can think of at least one person that desperately needs it.

This is coming from a guy who is anti- every other car other than 1M

Quote:
1) the 1M and TT-RS got the same marks for interior.
2) the TT-RS costs way more.
3) if you could read, the 1M won because IT DRIVES BETTER.
But by your logic, to hell with the TT-RS, keep going up...

Really? Don't get CR? but approves 1M over 135i?
Quote:
No idea why the Cayman R is there, the Cayman S is already more expensive than a 1M (in Canada at least).
And most people considering a 1M, I'm sure enjoys the manual-only-ness of it, and wouldn't be...
Too bad BMW doesn't make pon-pons and cheerleader mini-skirt because I also think someone is willing to wear it and look good wearing it

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinel999 View Post
if driving experience is what matters then we would not have stopwatches. we would all go to the track and say "i won" cause i felt really good in my car. anyone can argue with how a car feels for him but nobody can argue with the 0-60 or track time a car puts down.
one could say the 1m is a better value but not a better car.
Go buy a go kart with a v8 strapped on it.
You clearly don't understand what makes one car better than another.

one could say the Cayman R is a better performing car but not a better car.
Also, "clearly" someone who "clearly" knows what someone else does or does not know.

Last edited by Robert; 05-13-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #52
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You act like all of us don't want M cars, which is an idiototic assessment at best.

The financials simply don't make sense. This is what Robert was getting at and its what I agree with. I didn't spend nearly 50K on a car to get rid of it after 2 1/2 years on something equally as expensive. And I don't care what it is.

Get off your I own an M3 and that makes my version of the truth the best train and realize that some of us like to have money stored away instead of frivolously getting rid of our hard earned dollars every 2 to 3 years.
Then simply put, you cant afford it, leave it at that.
Not really directed at you, but there is no need for people on this forum to go around trying to convince everyone that the 1M is not worth the money. No shame in not being able to afford something.
But if you're going to bash it despite glowing reviews and the simple logic of how the chassis improvements alone would make the 1M a superior car to the 135i then you better have clocked in tons of driving time with the 1M, and experience with cars that trump the experience of auto reviewers.
A better car is a better car, if you can't afford it, then so what.

Ps Robert. You wouldnt buy a Cayman R but you'd buy a Cayman S over a Cayman? You wouldn't buy a ISF but you bought a IS350 over a IS250?
You may think you're all about best bang for buck, but to most people you're just someone bashing people with a better version of your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #53
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I wouldn't buy the current gen IS-F and I will be completely honest, I am a value shopper like Buffet, if someone makes me a deal I can't refuse then maybe. My next car is more like a Cayman or GTR, and if the next get 1M is just as good as this current one, back to BMW.
I had to laugh out loud! Not even LOL, but seriously LAUGH OUT LOUD! Jimmy Buffet is a billionaire who can buy whatever he wishes, but I guarantee if he was making ANY of our salaries he wouldn't be shopping for a six figure car like the GTR or even a car half that....
      05-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #54
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
There isn't much unique between a Carerra 2, 4, Turbo, or GT-3 save for bumpers, flared quarters wings and exhaust... ? once you get into a GT-3 RS.. you mostly get decals in addition..
My new sig

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #55
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I had to laugh out loud! Not even LOL, but seriously LAUGH OUT LOUD! Jimmy Buffet is a billionaire who can buy whatever he wishes, but I guarantee if he was making ANY of our salaries he wouldn't be shopping for a six figure car like the GTR or even a car half that....
Yet he drives his Buick and live in a modest house that is home for past 30 years. For one he definitely does not care for material things, like we do, and I bet he would rather buy a Hyundai over BMW, Lexus, Toyota or the likes because of value.

Last edited by Robert; 05-13-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #56
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:

Ps Robert. You wouldnt buy a Cayman R but you'd buy a Cayman S over a Cayman? You wouldn't buy a ISF but you bought a IS350 over a IS250?
You may think you're all about best bang for buck, but to most people you're just someone bashing people with a better version of your car.
I think you missed the point of what he is saying... he is saying he would buy an IS-F but NOT to replace his IS350... same with a CR to replace his CS, and thats why he wont buy a 1M to replace a 135.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #57
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Then simply put, you cant afford it, leave it at that.
Not really directed at you, but there is no need for people on this forum to go around trying to convince everyone that the 1M is not worth the money. No shame in not being able to afford something.
But if you're going to bash it despite glowing reviews and the simple logic of how the chassis improvements alone would make the 1M a superior car to the 135i then you better have clocked in tons of driving time with the 1M, and experience with cars that trump the experience of auto reviewers.
A better car is a better car, if you can't afford it, then so what.

OMG your comprehension is seriously lacking.

He's not saying it's too exspensive, or that he can't afford it. Any of us in a 135i can most likely afford it. He also isn't swaying anyone from buying it. He is saying for THOSE THAT ALREADY HAVE A 135i @ 40-50K, there isn't enough INCENTIVE to take a loss on the current car for the new one. PERIOD. That is sound financial thinking.

We ALL agree that starting with no car, the 1M is hands down the car to get.

Please read this 5-6 times and really THINK about it.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #58
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I think you missed the point of what he is saying... he is saying he would buy an IS-F but NOT to replace his IS350... same with a CR to replace his CS, and thats why he wont buy a 1M to replace a 135.
That is my point aswell.

And lol. I can easily afford a 50K 135 but I simply can't afford a 50K 1M, that's solid logic there

I can absolutely afford a 1M. Now ask me if I want to replace my 135 with one.

I think that the 1M is fantastic. I'm not denying that. But this whole thread is full of idiocy, blind rhetoric, and massive misunderstandings. And quite frankly, it should be closed right now.

Also, stupider isnt a word.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #59
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
OMG your comprehension is seriously lacking.

He's not saying it's too exspensive, or that he can't afford it. Any of us in a 135i can most likely afford it. He also isn't swaying anyone from buying it. He is saying for THOSE THAT ALREADY HAVE A 135i @ 40-50K, there isn't enough INCENTIVE to take a loss on the current car for the new one. PERIOD. That is sound financial thinking.

We ALL agree that starting with no car, the 1M is hands down the car to get.

Please read this 5-6 times and really THINK about it.
Can't believe the frack I received saying, 1M is a great car but not the right car "FOR ME" as the "NEXT" car. Doesn't mean I don't want one. In fact with growing positive reviews coming out everyday, I am liking it more and more.

Love all these 1 series people coming out of the woodwork because BMW added a M line. Where were they when we received our 1 series back in feb/march 2008. We all foresaw the value proposition of a small form vehicle mated with a powerful engine and acted on it and thank you to BMW for listening and tried to improve over that. Some of these newcomers came because of the M badge. You can tell when affordability becomes a flashpoint for discussion, thought this was a car forum not GoldmanSachWiki.com
      05-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #60
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Yet he drives his Buick and live in a modest house that is home for past 30 years. For one he definitely does not care for material things, like we do, and I bet he would rather buy a Hyundai over BMW, Lexus, Toyota or the likes because of value.
Exactly, wait I'm confused, you are helping me make my point and illustrate the irony of your statement:

Quote:
.....I am a value shopper like Buffet....My next car is more like a Cayman or GTR.....
All I have to say is:

Name:  readpost.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  10.4 KB
      05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #61
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can't believe the frack I received saying, 1M is a great car but not the right car "FOR ME" as the "NEXT" car. Doesn't mean I don't want one. In fact with growing positive reviews coming out everyday, I am liking it more and more.

Love all these 1 series people coming out of the woodwork because BMW added a M line. Where were they when we received our 1 series back in feb/march 2008. We all foresaw the value proposition of a small form vehicle mated with a powerful engine and acted on it and thank you to BMW for listening and tried to improve over that. Some of these newcomers came because of the M badge. You can tell when affordability becomes a flashpoint for discussion, thought this was a car forum not GoldmanSachWiki.com

I think most people that don't know better think M3=Super 335i = 1M=Super 135i. The problem with that is that the M3 is from the ground up a different beast. The 1M is a 135i with M3 parts. Still a awesome deal and I would take one over the "purebred" M3 anyday, but it's still not exactly apples to oranges when one already has a 135i. Ughhh I think we are wasting our breath with this one.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #62
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^ I guess forum guideline of no personal attack is also ill logical and below you. It's too bad there's no critical thinking supplement that comes in pill form, cause I can think of at least one person that desperately needs it.

This is coming from a guy who is anti- every other car other than 1M

Really? Don't get CR? but approves 1M over 135i?
[u2b][/u2b]

Too bad BMW doesn't make pon-pons and cheerleader mini-skirt because I also think someone is willing to wear it and look good wearing it

Also, "clearly" someone who "clearly" knows what someone else does or does not know.
On a comparison basis I dont think it works cause they're of different price ranges.
If you read my posts, I love Porches. Cayman R is hands down the better, faster car. I'd be surprised if my 1M is better than even my fathers Cayman S. But I don't have the money.
Comparing cars is different from deciding the best one. Imo a comparison must be grounded with price constraints. So my argument is that for the price, the 1M is the best. Not that everything better than what I have sucks like how you argue.
I know that the Cayman R is better, but its a comparison. What's the point of a comparison if money is no object. I'm not arguing that the Cayman R is shitty.

But I still think euro TT-RS is a worse car because almost all reviews of it comment on how its not challenging or exciting at all; things I look for in a sports car. Maybe NA spec TT-RS with a manual will be better.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #63
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
On a comparison basis I dont think it works cause they're of different price ranges.
If you read my posts, I love Porches. Cayman R is hands down the better, faster car. I'd be surprised if my 1M is better than even my fathers Cayman S. But I don't have the money.
Comparing cars is different from deciding the best one. Imo a comparison must be grounded with price constraints. So my argument is that for the price, the 1M is the best. Not that everything better than what I have sucks like how you argue.
I know that the Cayman R is better, but its a comparison. What's the point of a comparison if money is no object. I'm not arguing that the Cayman R is shitty.

But I still think euro TT-RS is a worse car because almost all reviews of it comment on how its not challenging or exciting at all; things I look for in a sports car. Maybe NA spec TT-RS with a manual will be better.
WOW... are you serious?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #64
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm going from a 135 to 1M. My payment goes up about $80 a month which I'm completely fine with.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #65
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

So far what I have seen is, in BMW's official marketing tone, they even try to convince people 1M is a M car. It really sounds like a guilty person conspicuously protests his innocence. This truely indicates in their subconsciousness, they are scare that consumers will think the 1M is not a true M car.

I have not heard people complain about M3/M5 is not a M car, never. But now there are too many complains against 1M. There is reason that people complaints.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #66
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
I'm going from a 135 to 1M. My payment goes up about $80 a month which I'm completely fine with.
And your pay-off date didn't change?

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0